BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to take my buddy fishing and their is a spot on the Seymour holding 30 to 40 Chum. The water is only 2 feet deep is their a way to effectivly angle these fish ?? Really short floating ? Any help woud be good I don't want to floss them. It's his first time out and I just want him to have a good time.

· Registered
648 Posts
while you can still floss with spoons, if the run is appropriate, you can use a spinning rod with either spoons, or spinners. cast across at a 90 degree angle, and drift your gear across the run, in front of the fish. piss em off enough, and they'll bite. don't worry about using light gear, if your fish is hooked in the mouth, be patient, and you'll land it. the only time it's a danger, is when your chum is foul hooked, then, lookout. landed a 15# chrome doe yesterday on the Squamish, with my 10 ft. convergence, using 15# test, what a gas!!!!

· Registered
224 Posts
miker246 said:
Unfortunately I only have a Baitcasting set up 10' rod and Bait cast reel ?? I guess I'll try to figure something out thanks for the tips though.
There is no problem chucking spoons and spinners with a bait casting reel. Just make sure you have a swivel above the leader. Personally, I have been waiting for the Seymour water to cool down and levels to come up for about 4-5 months. In my opinion, it is just too low, with too little oxygen in the water. I've chosen to NOT stress the fish any further. They are having a hard enough time as it is. And remember it is not just hooking fish that stress them. A school of spooked fish tearing around a pool looking for a place to hide is just as taxed.

Dinsdale.

· Retired staff
6,673 Posts
There are other options too miker...the squamish area rivers are real good bets right now, and the capilano should be a better bet as far as finding a pool with a little bit of water depth to it...if you want to give spoons or spinners a try, there are two deeper pools just under the highway bridge....you can park on the east side of capilano road in a small gravel lot about 50 yards below the chevron gas station...ther will be fish in there also...especially now that some fish are being let through....let us know how you do...

Roma9...the seymour river is a beautiful river to fish, the only problem is water levels and fish return levels...many of the runs in there are in decline, despite the presence of the hatchery up top, but there is about 12 km of fishable river if I'm not mistaken....

good luck,
rib

· Registered
56 Posts
hey sorry I was talking about the one closest to the water.I drove by today on a high tide and there was lots of water and a really nice whole where the to sides come together!can you fish there?

· Registered
2 Posts
Drive past maplewood farm entrance take a left at the end of the road and drive a block or so until you run onto the gravel and there is a small place to park at the turnaround super easy to get to. the river is right beside you and you can walk up or down wi th no problem..

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the info I will try to get up to Squamish one of these weekends. The Seymour is a 4 min drive from my house. I have held of going in to the shallows. I have hiked a few sections of the river looking for som deeper holding pools. I think I will wait for some more rain. It's all Chum right now.

· Retired staff
6,673 Posts
There are two deeper pools...before the canyon starts in the residential area...not sure of the street name, but it's near the top of the road on the east side of the river...there's a fence with a gate...those pools can be very productive in the first few heavy rains of the season...

· Retired staff
6,673 Posts
Does anyone know if the parking restrictions are done now??? I seem to recall that parking up there isn't allowed until october sometime...also, is the gate open at pool 88 ? I don't want to drive up there, and have to turn around....
Thx,
rib

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.