BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I was fishing for pinks during the weekend at the richmond famous spots... I do early in the morning 6ish to 8ish only.

During the time I was there and fishing and catching fish, I did came across some fish stories. I thought I would share with you.

1) I hit a pink where I cast my lure. It was way out there. Most people caught them 10 feet or closer from shore so this one was a bit odd. It fought real hard and after 5 minutes or so, I realized it was a foul hook. The lure was clearly showed on the dorsal fin. After I brought the fish in close to the rocks, I went down wet my foot and unhook the fish. Then I gently rock the fish by the tail back and forth till it gains its strength to swim away. In the mean time, I was told way up by the road that I have to release the fish. And I told the guy I don't keep any and I know foul hook fish has to be released unharm. It was nice to see people still care.

2) 3 gentlemen were fishing some distance away from me. They caught a nice fighting-leap-a-lot fish. It turn out to be a nice coho. They did a picture and release it in the water.

3) Although I saw a lot of fish bonking moment, there were a few practice catch and release, thank you...

4) A father bonked a foul hooked fish in front of his son while people were saying you have to release the fish. Then he took the fish and drove off right away.

5) Trash belongs to the trash can. There are people throwing emptied cig. boxes, cans of beer and soda, plastic bags all along the shores. Please, if you are one of the people read here and do that, bring a bag and just put your own trash away. You don't have to pick up other people's trash. Just don't litter along the river.

6) A guy cleaning his fish right after catching one did not mean he was not going to fish anymore. Please don't run and take his spot. Not just 1 guy, 2 went over and cast where he caught his pink. And they were not friends...

·
Registered
87 Posts
This is a weird fishing story :-[ I was in army and navy store yesterday getting some willow blades and an old fellow was there talking to another guy that just made a comment about the reports on the lower Frazer on thier fishing report bulletin board right behind the counter. Well, he said something about fishing Pinks around Surrey area close to Patullo Bridge and he mentioned that on that fishing trip everytime he had a fish on, and he's fighting it, he would hear a faint voice three feet behind him congratulating him :-[ but everytime he turns around to look, no one was even NEAR him withing a 50 feet radius. He said this went on for maybe 5-7 fish he hooks into and finally he had enough of this he packed up and left the little area he was fishing and ran to the boat launch.
Man, if it was me :happy: I woulda been outa that area the second time I hear something crazy like that behind me.
Has anyone ever had any crazy or ghostly encounters like this man had out there when you guys go out on new fishing spots? Would love to hear you guy's experience.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hey Charles, Couldn't agree with you more about the garbage dumpers. It's bad enough people can't put their smokes away for long enough to go fishing, then to leave their butts and boxes all over the rocks makes me crazy. I always pack an empty bag and try to grab a few extra pieces of garbage where every I fish.

RR

·
Registered
886 Posts
I had to look up my fishing journal to get the exact date this happend......

Its October 28th 1999....I drive my Jeep into a secluded area in the upper Chehalis River... As i pull in to park there is no one there.I think yes its going to be a great day.This is an area of the river in which this is the only access point from either side...now i hike down to get to the river and it is a light drizzle of rain and the water is perfect.... I start fishing this area and land a few coho and having a blast then i start to walk down river to fish new water....As i walk down i look up and notice about 200 yards away there is a man fishing below me and i think to my self how did he get here....There is no other way here but the way i came in...I know this for a fact.... Mystified i start to fish again constantly looking at him as i walk down slowly..He was wearing 3 quater length rain coat and outback hat with his back turned to me all the time.. I watched him fish but never saw his face.... I am now 25 yards away from him and the rain is coming down a little harder now....I step out and walk around him his back to me the entire time...I think to myself this is weird but i have no reason to talk to him...So i keep walking below him... i give him lots of room to fish as he has not moved from that spot...After about 2 hours now and always looking back to see him i can't go any farther down river so i turn around look up and he is gone! I'm in total shock now... I walk up to where he was fishing and not a single sign of him being there...Nothing...I broke my rod down and got out of there quick...

I have been there on numerous occasions since then and alway feel someone is watching me.....To this day i still get goose bumps telling this story...

:cheers:sage

·
Registered
31 Posts
I had a ghost story related to me from an older man re: the canyon area of the Chehalis.

Seems as a younger man, he had been out fishing the canyon area late in the day. He had stayed enjoying the last light at the riverside, and as he made his way back into the trails, he realized it was really quite dark now.

Carefully picking his way along the trail, he had not seen a soul that evening and the forest was still and quiet.

Suddenly, as he strode quickly along he felt the ground below his feet give way and he pitched into the darkness over the edge of the trail. Clinging to the roots and earth, he desperately tried to claw his way back up, but he could feel himself slipping closer to the rushing water and rocks below in the blackness.

Desperately, he called out for help, knowing that this moment might very well be his last on Earth. When out of the darkness above a short sturdy length of rope suddenly descended, and a Man's voice said "Grab A hold!".

Our fisherman grabbed the rope in a last ditch one handed effort, and felt a comforting strength pulling him back up to the trail. Lying on the earth, catching his breath, shaking with adrenaline, our protagonist rolled over and sat up to give a hearty thank you to his saviour.

But with start, he suddenly realized... there was no one around... :eek:

No rope, no burly man, no sounds of movement, nothing. In the gathering gloom he strained his eyes up and down the trail, called out 'thank you!' to only the silence of the dark wood. Mere seconds had elapsed, no way someone could have moved that quietly/quickly, no way, he though...

He got up, brushed himself off, and quickly made his back to his truck. Very thankful, but very weirded out. :confused:

It was a long time before he went back up there, and even now, never goes alone. :-\

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Creepy stuff guys, on a side note that last story is a perfect example of the dangers of fishing alone in treacherous areas. Always bring a buddy, you never know when bad things can happen and we can't rely on the supernatural to save our asses!

I do know the feeling of being up there though. I have never actually experienced anything creepy in the canyon but I have always felt as if someone was watching me from above. Weird how we can get those "feelings" out there.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I used to fish on a old lake in Oxford England when i was a lot younger, it was on the grounds of an old 3 wing house with lots of land and was run down. One of my favorite swims to fish was right by this big old tree with what looked like a small tunnel running under its roots. I never felt quite right down that lake by myself, sort of an uneasy "im being watched" feeling. After fishing there for the entire summer holidays i was on one of my last trip's before school started up again and this time the goundskeeper came down to the lake (first time i had ever seen him) and he asked to see my licence, then, he proceeded to tell me that back in the turn of the 1900's the old Watson family had been buried right under the tree where i was fishing and that so called "tunnel" was a passage down in to there crypt... I instantly s**t my pants and never went back again.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Walking out of the chehalis canyon, it had rained so the trail was muddy, walkin in we saw no tracks, and then walking out right where we turned off cougar tracks, they were circling the area, i guess wondering if u walk down or not. We walked back and this cougar had followed us from just after we got over the big hill. I am a little more cautious now when i hike back in there.

But creepiest thing was 2 years ago fishing the chehalis for steelies in january. I had just walked down the trail and to the tail out of the run, then out of no where there is a guy standing there at the head of the run fishing. weird. He all of a sudden hooks a fish, i turned to put my rod down and go help him out with landing the fish, when i get there, no lie, all that was there was the imprint of the fish in the snow, and a piece of roe. No tacks leading to where he was fishing and no tracks leaving. I was kinda creeped out.

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
I was fishing a smaller river up the sea to sky one year for steelhead...I had driven up to the upper limit of it where the dam was set and I was standing next to a beautiful run of water averaging 5-6 feet deep with large boulders, and seams and boils...perfect holding water. My long time fishing buddy was waaaay down river fishing some pocket water...Well out of earshot.

I could see him clearly and remember thinking to myself that I should get him to come fish the pool I was standing in front of...he hadn't caught his first steel yet...I yelled and yelled, waved my arms and tried to get his attention but he didn't notice...so I fished.

I cast out in front of me to a peice of water that I knew would hold a fish. A perfect slow rolling, deep, right next to fast water, walking speed pullout for migrating steel...

I cast a nice lob above the short stretch of holding water and dragged and dropped my drift right in line with where I thought the fish would be...

Halfway through the drift...Tap, tap, tap... I felt the amazingly light signals of a fish at my hook...it almost seemed like those of a small trout...I set the hook, and watched in awe as a beautiful specimen of a steelhead cleared the water in a beautiful leap...

"Nice fish", a voice spoke quietly from the trail behind me...I looked back quickly, keeping the fish tight, and saw there at a break in the trail an old man leaning against a tree with a giant smile on his face...I instantly asked myself... grandpa?

The fish tore off in another leap and a run across the river and my attention turned to it even though my mind was still in shock at seeing the spitting image of my grandfather standing under a tree smoking his pipe and smiling at my success...he had even then been dead already for over 25 years...

I turned my head back to take another look, and the man was gone...I looked around to see my buddy about 200 yards downriver, running up the trail to watch the battle... after some more intense one on one with this beautiful fish, we tailed it for a quick pic and a release...

I asked my friend, "did you see the old man walking down the trail on your way up...?". To which he responded, "what old man...?".
I know those trails, there is no way my buddy would've missed him. There was no place for this "apparition" to hide...That was the only trail out of there.

To this day, every once and a while, I get the feeling he's fishin' with me.

·
Registered
87 Posts
At least the ghosts in the banks are either helpfull or a family member so far. But still makes the hairs at the back of my neck stand up. Would be scary to see a guy down river swatting his fly rod madly in the air as if trying to hit somebody yelling... " THE POWER OF CHRIST COMPEL"S YOU!!!!".

·
Registered
886 Posts
With all the new members that have joined this site. I thought I would bump this thread to the top again to see if other people have expereinced a weird occurrence on the water. :cheers: sage

·
Registered
190 Posts
it's funny, i've never heard anything about these Chehailis canyon stories, but i've had the EXACT same feeling fishing there. A few years back i was fishing there happily, without a worry. A few hours later, as it was getting dusky, I just had this feeling that I was being watched. As i casted my drift, I turned around and saw a pair of dull yellow eyes looking right at me from the forest edge about 20ft back. Shocked, I turned back around, reeled in my drift, then looked back again aand they eyes were gone. Needless to say, I packed up and headed back for the truck, looking over my shoulder the whole way. That canyon started to feel really lonely really fast :p

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.