BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking around Google about info on the river & was wondering if i go up Harris Rd toward the river . you come to a bridge.. Now the river flows on both sides. & there is a trail that leads you way out & i notice lots of spots along that way that would be great places to fish. Can i fish along that way? i ask because when i was reading up on it, they kept sayin somehting about going up by 216th . or up by some dam... I never see anyone fish there so im hopin that when i go this weekend i dont get yelled at..lol

Thx guys
Schlock :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
The lower Allouette is tidal from 224th st. bridge down. If you fish around 216th the best time to fish is on the outgoing tide right now....There are lots of fry making their way to the ocean and some nice cutthroat action can be found in some areas of the lower river. You can also bottom fish there or put bait under a float at the slack tide about 2-6 inches off the bottom...... I would use a couple of split shot and a #4 barbless gamagatsu or equivalent....6 lb. fleurocarbon leader. I believe the river is closed from May 1 to Sept. 30 every year.
Good luck........Ortho 8)

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Hey Prof............Why do you think they close this river for 2 months.?....Do they release smolts into the river. There is no "run-off" in the Allouette and there are virtually no fishers....What gives?
Ortho 8)

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
I have no idea. I fish below 216 in the spring, and i am pretty much by myself. Really don't know why they would close the upper river and for only 2 months.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
i would think it would give the steel that do show up some time and peace to do their thing, steelhead are pretty much suckers to anything and everything when they are on the mend. why they wouldn,t shut down the whole river is another question.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
That is where my question is rooted.....I know there are a few steelhead that migrate back to the ocean, but they are out of the system by May. I believe one of our members caught a nice , big, buck last April, but I fished the river for most of my life and could not understand the closure.
Still don't...C'mon, someone shed some light on this.......Ortho 8)

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Just below 216th is private property all the way to about Laity street. Above 216th can be good for cutties. Above 248th street(Alco park) is closed to fishing all year. The area between Neaves road and Harris also has some really good areas that you just have to explore which is easy to do as you have the **** that you can walk.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys for all the advice... You guys are awesome.. Hope to nail em hard come sat.. if anyones around come on down..
Thx again
schlock

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
Kryptonite said:
The May1 to June 30 are arbitrary dates set to allow most of the steel to head out unmolested but mostly to allow out migration for the majority of the smolts with out angling pressure from people looking for some "trout". Its not an uncommon closure time.
Any ideas why the upper portion only is closed??

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
iliketofish : I will be workin my way up from the bridge & will be there by at least 7am soo hope to see ya there. I 'll have a black ball cap on soo stop by & say hi.. ( give me some pointers..lol) Hope to see ya there friend
schlock
scott

·
Banned
2,859 Posts
i wonder that if this 2month closure is for smolts to leave the river then why dont they close the Vedder for 2 months instead the only do one and look at how many people harvest those baby steelhead :naughty: not cool in my books

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Soo if they close it up by the dam its still cool to fish the lower area . Like down by Haris road area,?? i hope soo im planin on doin it every day if i can...lol

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Stopped by the Allouette this afternoon and the fisheries had a "fry trap" set up at the 224th st. bridge.
I walked down to take a closer look and their were plenty of the little guys in the tubes...Also saw a few large trout milling about at the 216th st. bridge......There is so much underwater cover for smolts in this area (sunken trees and logs,) it is hard to fish in this area unless you 'toon down from 224 or above .......Ortho 8)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.