BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everybody,

I am looking for suggestions. I am planning two trout fishing trips, and I want pointers,

I am planning of going over to Powell River in mid-March with some friends, and I intend to fish the big cutties in some of the lakes. I have never fished over there before, so which lakes should I consider? I plan on taking a little inflatable with a small outboard as my fishing platform.

I am also planning a trip to the interior probably in mid-June; something within a day's drive of Victoria. This will be a group trip that will probably include some solid, outdoorsy non-fishers as well as the completely obsessed, and a beginner. We are looking for a remote lake that is not too busy. In fact the more fish and the fewer people the better. We will be tenting, and we are interested in wilderness rather than accommodation. Again, small boats or tubes will provide the flotation.

I look forward to all of your good ideas.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
I think there are some great online resources to find lakes and info on them.

I would think you would want a lake that has mucho fish and rather easy to catch ones, avoid TROPHY lakes and you should do well.

One hint, theres a few lakes near the toll booth that have good pops of easy to catch fish and some rough camping, you could easily get there in time for the evening bite.

Good luck

·
Registered
116 Posts
Hi Ambler,

The Powell River area has some of the best Lake Cutthroat fishing in the world. Make sure to look at the regs before you fish since many lakes don't open until April 1st.
Some lakes also have great Rainbow fishing. Most lakes have small Kokanee and stunted Dollies (why the Cutthroat get so big).
Some lakes have fast fishing and on some you need patience but can be rewarded with huge fish. My biggest was a 12 lb fish during a broadstock fishery in the late 80's.

You can call Marine Traders or talk to some people at Lang Creek Hatchery for the most accurate fishing info for the time you plan to go.

The Rainbows in those lakes are staging for spawning in April and May. If your thinking of fish (Bows)for the table I wouldn't bother. They look beautiful until you give them the wood headache. They go black quickly after that.

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
One of the best resources you can get is Karl Bruhn's book BC Lake Fishing. It is full of great lakes around the province. I am particularly found of the highway 24 area (between 70 Mile House and Little Fort). Counting the ferry trip about 8 hours from Victoria, but well worth it. Also get a copy of Camp Free in BC (vol 2, ithink) and it will list all the available forestry sites.

·
Registered
12 Posts
If you wanna fish on the Island, around Campbell River there are a bunch of logging roads with a string of about 8 or 9 decent sized lakes that are all stocked. Most of them have camping sites too, and there are some you can find just on the side of the road. Also I hear Campbell River has some of the best Salmon fishing in the world...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.