BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I flip on the TV this morning while eating breakfast and fish'n canada is on. I recognise right away that they are on the Fraser. Looking at the gear, obv sturgeon. As I continue to watch they get one on. I'd say it was about a 6 or so footer. So they yank this thing into the boat, tag it etc.

All is fine up to this point I guess. But on release, this guy tosses the fish into the water like a log. Had to have been from 4 feet out of the water.

It seemed to me that this was a bad release. And I was kind of choked given how endangered these fish are.

So my question, can you release sturgeon like this?

·
Registered
415 Posts
there was nothing wrong wioth the way the fish was released....if you have worked with sturgeon you can just slid them into the water, a lot of the guides tag fish and have them revived in the cradle before they go back... trying to gently release a 4-6 ft fish is not the easiest... especially to tail revive a large a fish....did you know Sturgeon can survive for hours out of water.....definately not a practice to occur nowadays but when sturgeon were allowed to be retained or kept in commercial fisheries, a lot of comercial fisherman used to keep them aboard until the end of an opening and then release them....

the natives in the canyon used to tie a large fish to the beach and only cut what they needed, with the sturgeon being alive the whole time....

I personally know the guide and can assure you the fish was returned unharmed.....probably packing a fresh tag....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.