BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

very new to fishing in BC. I was in Sooke last week and I got to fish a lot and it was obviously a learning experience for me.

I never used flashers/dodgers before and on my last day there, we met a nice guy (whose name escapes me) who used to guide.

He explained to me that what I had been using was a dodger and NOT a flasher.

He said what I had did FULL circles in the water and that a flasher (he recommended Hot Spots) only does semi-circles in the water.

So, I would like to know:

1) what do YOU use?
2) Why do you use it?

Thanks

· Registered
140 Posts
Ashton,
I use to use nothing but dodgers along with the odd Abe and Al, that was when I was using mainly hand cut herring stip behind the dodger. They provide a great side to side action with the 10 inch type, work best on short leader set ups, 12" to 24" for coho, chum and pinks on flashtails and hootchies and bait to big springs too. The thing with a dodger is it is meant to go side to side...not rotate in a circle, so speed is critical. I have found I am trolling faster these days for everything so dodgers are not quite the action I want and get from the Hot Spot style flasher. Getting use to the beat on the rod tip will tell you if you dodger is rotateing or not, I can also bet that many of the fish I use to pick up may have been when my dodgers were rotateing.....Both methods work.
Good luck H/T

· Banned
189 Posts
ashtonspoutine said:
He explained to me that what I had been using was a dodger and NOT a flasher.

He said what I had did FULL circles in the water and that a flasher (he recommended Hot Spots) only does semi-circles in the water.
You're still mixed up

Flashers do a full circle

Dodgers do a half circle

Threw all my Dodgers out it's 100% Flashers now-no going back.

· Registered
20 Posts
All my dodgers are piled in the junk drawer. The hotspot flashers will meet all your needs for whatever lures or bait you are using. The action of the terminal gear is greatly affected by the length of your leader. Many times two inches in difference with exactly the same lure will make the difference in catching fish and no bites at all.

· Registered
116 Posts
I like both flashers and dodgers. Line twist from flashers really bugs me and I prefer the dodger for spoons and anchovies or herring because I usually like the look of the dodge-action better with those lures, but a flasher usually looks better with hootchies. Have a look at your setup in the water beside the boat at trolling speed. If your impulse is to dive in and bite it, it is probably a good setup. If not, change something.

If anyone has a Palco number 3 dodger that they don't want, I would like to buy it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.