BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read about float fishing with jigs and am thinking about using them for coho or springs if there are to many people using roe. To fish them correctly how long a leader should I use and do I need to add any pencil lead?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
if u didn't get ur answer from Rod's website, 18 inch leader to your swivel, and then split shot, not pencil lead, the lead will create a helicopter effect when casting, making u less accurate, and not getting all the distance that u should be able to.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
I use both splitties and pencil lead, you will only need a small piece, 2-3 " and concentrate on the float being staright up and down, avoid holding back on the float or your jig will just be a colored little stick and not the pulsating lively attractor that slays fish.
Coho like blues, Olives, brown and Orange, which can be hard to find at the stores, so maybe tying your own will serve better.
Get some GOOD hooks, jigs need good hooks and many comercial jigs still come sporting walleye hooks.

Have fun and your right, presenting something different is a big piece of the puzzle in busy rivers like the Chedder.

·
Banned
2,859 Posts
If you want good jigs then get them from Bent Rod :thumbup: his jigs are top notch. you can buy them at Army & Navy, Fred's, and a bunch of other shops that i believe are listed on his site. www.bentrods.ca or you can PM him and get them straight from him. I did this last year for steely jigs, great guy, awesome product. Thanks Rod

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info. I picked up an orange/red yesterday @ A+N. I will try to find some other colours too.
Bent Rod what do you mean by don't hold back on the float? Thanks

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
The Jig's a very effective tool 318...If you give it a chance you'll end up fishing it regularly, and in any kind of water if you learn how to use it right...

Here's a "tip"...try tipping your jigs with shrimp...I prefer raw, but others here use cured...works wonders... ;)

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
I used to fish all types of gear on the water before jigs, over the last year I have fished jigs almost exclusively for most species in our rivers and found them to work great. The key is learning how to fish them properly in all types of water, also learning how to tie your own will save you lots of cash! If you do start tying your own, experiment with all sorts of colour combo's. My favorite jigs are the ones I came up with on my own. Of course many of my others I have "stole" from Bent Rods website!  :thumbup: Thanks Rod!!  :drunk:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.