BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for any helpful hints or suggestions regarding the best way to fish chromo's in a float tube (anchorless) especially in windy conditions. I am less than an expert on on this style of fishing but after watching a few guys slay them at a local cariboo lake I think I need to start learning!! Any help or info would be appreciated.

·
Registered
694 Posts
The best way is to get a small anchor for yourself. that aside you can have some success wind drifting, but as you found it's not as good all the time.

·
Banned
2,859 Posts
ya either get an anchor or your going to be constitently kicking to stay still. i used to do this in my tube but then got an anchor and it got better. you "shouldnt" need one heavier than 7lbs HOWEVER I found that we needed 10lb ones when it gets really windy.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Fishing chironomids requires a dead-slow retrieve which, if your tube is moving with the wind, would be almost impossible to imitate; which is probably why your success rate was low. Your tube was drifting with the wind faster than a real chronie moves and the fish weren't being fooled. When I fish chronies (which lately, has been every time I go out) I anchor my pontoon boat using a 10lb downrigger ball attached to 40' of braided nylon and it works like a charm.

For anchoring your tube, I would say a 5lb anchor would be enough. If you find you're not staying where you want, you could go up in anchor weight or just kick the tube gently to stay where you want. As for indicators, I personally don't use them but I know others on here that do (there's a couple of threads about this very topic so check them out). I think it all falls on personal preference. As for leaders...if I'm on the toon, I'll use my sinking line with a 6-8ft, 5x or 6x non-tapered leader. If I'm shore fishing, I'll bump it up to 10-12ft, 4x or 5x hand-tied tapered leader. It works for me so I keep doing it :thumbup:

·
Registered
901 Posts
For anchoring your tube, I would say a 5lb anchor would be enough
The last thing i want to take out in my tube is an extra 5lbs of weight
I have not tried chronomid fishing enough to say if it works for me or not
But i think i would get bored in my tube just sitting there
I like the slow troll or stripping action to cover more water :2cents:

·
Registered
260 Posts
I think he means a store bought tapered leader....?

In a slight wind you could throw in a couple of mends normally reserved for dry fly fish on streams...such as a 'wiggle or snake mend', not sure if that is what it is called....you will have to be a bit quicker on your hook sets though as you will have that extra line to take in before the hook moves....

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
On the topic of anchors for tubes, try a mesh bag...bring it with you all the time. When you want to fish chronimids for a while, grab a couple rocks from the shoreline, put them in the bag. When you're done, dump them.

Takes the hastle out of carrying an anchor all the time...

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
ribwart said:
On the topic of anchors for tubes, try a mesh bag...bring it with you all the time. When you want to fish chronimids for a while, grab a couple rocks from the shoreline, put them in the bag. When you're done, dump them.

That is what i use on my pontoon all the time.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
You also don't always have to use a slow retrieve when fishing chironamids, especially when using an indicator. A lot of times, the surface ripple, if there is any, is enough to give your fly the movement it needs...and it stays in the "zone" longer.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Oops forgot about this thread...no mystery or riddle, just no leaders as they are tapered and are not straight up and down in the water..use straight mono to flouro. I also use the mesh bag..easy in and out..

As for your post roughingminor...Fly fishing is all about riddles, if you want the easy way stick to your gear and guts. Don't expect everything to be handed to you on a platter, try learning something for yourself!!! You might find it increases your enjoyment!!!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ribwart said:

...never thought of that......can't beat the price of the weight either!

·
Registered
334 Posts
A friend of mine bought himself one of those "claw" anchors and it hooked to something on the bottom! Problem with a cannonball is that it's a , pain to carry around especially in your float tube when you're not using it, also there is the lead issue... :naughty:
The bag would be the best option, if you can't find rocks on the lakeshore, how are you going to find fish in the water??!!! :cheers:

·
Registered
334 Posts
Oops, forgot the main subject here, chiromonids. You need your leader to be hanging straight down. I use floating line with an indicator and maybe a pinch weight to get it down faster. Cast from the deep water into the shoals and weeds. Depth of your fly depends on the depth of the water; if you don't know, lock your forceps on the end of your line and sink it down until it stops, set your indicator about a foot below the water line and you will automatically be a foot above the bottom. Give it a slow retrieve, 2-5 inches at a time, if that or, as stone said, none at all. Play with it! Don't rely on "one" method. Everybody has their own way, it's the end result that matters. :beerchug: This is the only way I know and I've only just started with chromonid fishing.
:2cents:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.