BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys i just went on a trip with my buddy today and he let me use his spare "belly boat"it was realy cool to get off shore for once.Now im looking for a good quality not to expensive belly boat.He told me about u-tubes? Are they better or to they have the same quality.Im looking for something not to expensive my max is 300$.

thx trout.

·
Registered
452 Posts
$300 will get you a peach of a float tube. I'd start by looking at a Fish Cat or similar. They're well-built and float a fisher high up in the water.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Might be selling my fishcat 4 if you are looking used. I am likely upgrading to something bigger and something I can use on a river.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was looking towards the Dragonfly Venture because its so light weight.Looking at a v tube it dosent look to safe?Because its open in the front so i might slip out because im very small.But im not sure.
Whats the pros and cons of a v tube or a belly boat?Im not gonna be fishing very large lakes small ones like Lafarge and browning and other smaller lakes.

trout

·
Registered
273 Posts
Coincidentally, I also have a float tube I will be selling as well. And I believe it is a dragon fly venture.

I actually prefered the v tube. It moves through the water with less effort and you sit a little higher off the water. If you are worried about slipping off the open front of the v tube, make sure you are wearing a lifejacket. Something to consider is, if you flip in a v tube you fall out... if you happen to flip in a round float tube... not so easy to get out of in my opinion. Although I have never flipped either.
The float tube is a little lighter but I use a back pack like strap to carry mine if I am hiking into a lake. It is made my outcast and is meant for those style of v tubes.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I'm sure you won't have to worry about falling out of a U-boat or V-boat, but if you think the dragonfly venture is light, check out the Browning float tubes. They are way lighter and more compact than the Dragonfly venture tubes. I used to use a Dragonfly venture, but now use the Browning tubes, as most of my tube fishing is doing hike-in overnight trips, and the Brownings are soo much better for it. They aren't so easy to find, but they are well worth the search. :cheers:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Id highly recommend a u tube ( I call them u boats ) they are super easy to get in and out off I find it easier to cast from ( compared to a belly boat) and you won't fall out, unless you have a few to many pops I bought mine almost ten years ago never a problem minus the color fading :D

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Im looking for a picture of the seat area of the v or u boats.I just wanna see how that front part is compared to a belly boat.

trout

·
Registered
304 Posts
I would definitely suggest a "U" shaped tube over an "O" style. So much easier to get in and out of and handle fish at your lap. I haven't used mine in a few years, but I picked up my creek company uboat online for under $100

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I would go with a fishcat v boat. Ive done the float tube and hated it sooo much. V boat u move thru the water so much easier. Easier to cast. Easier to get in and out of. And its prety hard to fall out. Atleast mine u couldnt.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I agree with everyone above, I own a fish cat v-style one, and after trying the "donut" style I will always use the v-style, so easy to move around and very stable.

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
Trout, I haven't used a belly boat or a u-boat for years, but if I had the choice of using one or the other, it would be the u-boat style. All that said I wouldn't set foot in either one without a pfd (life jacket). If you have a deflation of your craft, you are in the water with no help nearby, not even an overturned hull to hang onto. With that pfd, you don't worry about falling out of your craft. By the way, you would have to actively try to fall out of your u-boat. They are very well designed and if there was an "accidental exit" problem with them, the lawsuits would have put them out of business long ago. No history of lawsuits=no history of problems.

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
Trout, I haven't used a belly boat or a u-boat for years, but if I had the choice of using one or the other, it would be the u-boat style. All that said I wouldn't set foot in either one without a pfd (life jacket). If you have a deflation of your craft, you are in the water with no help nearby, not even an overturned hull to hang onto. With that pfd, you don't worry about falling out of your craft. By the way, you would have to actively try to fall out of your u-boat. They are very well designed and if there was an "accidental exit" problem with them, the lawsuits would have put them out of business long ago. No history of lawsuits=no history of problems.
Most donut shaped belly boats have two tubes. An accidental deflation of one still gives you some flotation from the seat back which is roughly the size of a dirtbike tube. Certainly more flotation than a pfd.:2cents:

·
Registered
12 Posts
The fishcat has two air compartments. If you get the deluxe model with the air cushion back & seat you effectively have 4 bladders. That being said, an inflatable pdf doesn't get in the way & is another safeguard. I also find the air seat & back model much more comfortable when out on the water for more than a couple of hours, well worth the extra cost.

I've never fallen out in 10+ years of using a fishcat, unless I count the time I was tossed by a wave I misjudged when coming in after chasing cohos at Bonniebrook beach.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts