BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
heard alot of these "do it yourself floats". i already make my own foam ones from the baker rod. On those floats instead of using a piece of thread to pull my mainline through i heat a small piece of wire with a lighter and i melt the holes/tunnels and they work great, perfectly smooth. How do you make the balsa wood floats? i enjoy doing this kind of stuff and i would like to do this as sort of a side hobby. any info on this would be great wether its just a website(i looked but couldnt find any good ones) or just a piece of advice.

thx
-fishey

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
what u need to purchase is inch thick balsa wood. Cut them to what ever length u want. Then shape them, make the bottom pointy while the top rounded,(shape them like a drennan) paint the top red or orange then put 2 coats of clear coat varnish. To make the line run through buy some plastic tubing thick enough to fit a tooth pick snuggly inside. Drill a hole just big enough to fit it, so it wont come out make the hole fit around the plastic tubing very snug.(balsa wood is extremly soft so if the hole is just a little too small u might be able to get away with working the plastic in) thread the line and put half a tooth pick in each end as bobber stoppers and vualla, balsa float. A lathe and sand paper are ur two main tools. Shape them to the size and width u want. Usually my floats are 1 inch wide and 5-6 inches long depending on the size and colour of the river. They look like a piece of wood floating so they dont spook fish, just paint the top no need for the bottom! They are super sensitive and dont crack. They are the only ones i use for steelies! If u find that u can make them another way do so, my way is my way, dont stick to it, experiment!

Good luck and good fishing

·
Registered
304 Posts
Young Gun,
where I can get 1 " Balsa wood?

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
Young gun...do you have any pictures of some of the floats you've made? I'm curious about making my own...

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
sorry rib, no digital camera and no camera phone! I'm living a life in the past! Rib i found a pic off the internet that is very similar to my floats, Wanna post it for me?

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts

Here is an example what Young guns floats would look like, ignore the one on the right, his are more like the one on the left, but not as thick, and with a thinner lower end...

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
went once hooked my fish and left, no digital camerea so i cant upload pic! I'm only allowed to use what i buy so i cant use my parents camera for fishing! Sorry, i still hooked and landed a fish unlike alot of other people so please dont comment before u dont know!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
anybody know where they sell dowels of 1' balsa. i dont think its on that site, and i couldnt find it at any hobby store. i use hardwood to make floats but i thought i might try balsa.

-fishey

·
Registered
117 Posts
Hey fishy i would love to buy a dozen or so floats from you and try them out!!
Same to you Young Gun, lets see some cool floats. :p

Steelie

1 - 20 of 20 Posts