BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
oh oh...here we go...not a stupid question Zaconb, in fact I think everyone should be aware of some of the methods employed by anglers out there...

However, I'll leave this thread to some of the other members to sort out, I'm sure your question will get answered and then some...

But for now Zaconb, I'll give you this link that discusses flossing a little bit, and alternatives to this method...

SHORTFLOATING

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
zaconb said:
This will be a stupid question but what is FLOSSING?
To me I would define Flossing as a means of legally snagging fish. The term pretty much comes form the Fraser River fishery where one would use a bottom bouncing method with a really, really long leader. What this does is drag the leader through the mouth of the fish until the hook is set into the side of the cheek, hence flossing the leader through the fishes mouth. Unforyunately we have all seen this questionable method carried over from the Fraser to some of our more smaller systems, a sad thing to see!

As the DFO has not yet made Flossing Illegal, they have asked for selective fishing methods ei. Bar Fishing or throwing spoons. I have heard that they might crack down a little more this year on it but who knows. I would like to see something done about it however in order for something like that to work they would have to make BBing illegal which I just don't see happening.

Now, not all Bottom Bouncers are snaggers or flossers. The leader length plays the big role here, generally a 1-2 foot leader is perfectly fine, the flossers will be using 6ft+ leaders to snag thier fish.

I hope this helps.

·
Retired Administrator
4,448 Posts
not all Bottom Bouncers are snaggers or flossers
Well said! It the combination of the heavy weight, long leader and free spool to create a drag loop in your line that effectively flosses the fish.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Trav, Now that was one of the better, shorter descriptions of it. Zaconb You may want to check some of last years posts on it, usually around Aug the debates start to heat up.
Cheers,
Crazy D

·
Registered
419 Posts
i've always hated flossers. it may take me more than 10mins to get my limit of sockies but the tested and true 16" leader works well for me.I always use about 16" for all of my float, b.b. fishing. and guess what your leader doesn't break as easily. :peace:

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I feel another horse is going to get a beating soon. :wallbash:

Why don't you guys just go to the other 5,000 posts on this topic because you can't say anything about it that hasn't been said before. Believe the rest of us .......

IT'S A NO WIN SITUATION AND WHO CARES ???

Until the wording and regs are changed people will do it ....... end of story. I can think of better things to do. :beerchug: :drunk:

There should be a lottery on how many posts it will take till it's moved to the SIN BIN. :happy:

GOFISH 8)

·
Banned
279 Posts
fishin30 said:
i've always hated flossers. it may take me more than 10mins to get my limit of sockies but the tested and true 16" leader works well for me.I always use about 16" for all of my float, b.b. fishing. and guess what your leader doesn't break as easily. :peace:
HAHAHAHAHA. Let me guess, The secret bait is green wool right? :happy:

·
Registered
419 Posts
no green wool. I know it's still flossing but i believe the shorter leader have minimal impact on the fish. most of the time i don't even use wool for sockies just a small salmon bead on the leader. And as far as gofish goes he's right but i want to add one thing. The regs can change but the people won't unless fisheries steps up enforcement HAHAHAHAHA. Let me guess, The secret bait is green wool right? :happy:
[/quote]

·
Registered
419 Posts
nevermind just trying to stir things up a little didn't go as planned
:wallbash:

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Ok i floss for sockeye, sure and i do it not cus its fun but because smoked sockeye tastes so good. But what i dont understand is how to hook sockeye without flossing, ive tried it, i shortened down to 3ft leaders and i hooked 4 springs but no sockeye. And for springs colour does matter! Is there another method to hook sockeye? I love hooking springs but i dont want to take to many, i'm still a kid(15) so i dont have a 10 spring limit but i rarely take more than 10 a year. I float fished pinks 2 years ago and hooked 2 sockeye on the fraser but thats not consistet. Is there another way?

·
Registered
911 Posts
Hot rod where art thou??? we need the dead horse ;D
Crazy D

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Weather anyone likes it or not Flossing is going to happen Heck it's the main way to catch sockeye in this neck of the woods! Until FOC puts a gear restriction on the way we fish for socks and springs, it's how people know how to fish and catch fish! If there are easier methods on catching sockeye without flossing them i'd like to see! Gotta watch out, i was in a thread like this lastyear and it got ugly real fast! grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrit :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

C.K.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
It always amazes me how on flossing debates, the guys that floss are constantly whining about "dead horses" or begging moderators to bail out their weak arguments for their actions. If you are so right in your opinion, debate it like a adult. Instead we get litany of excuses why they do it, and none are valid reasons. Then when very strong arguments are put out there why it must stop, pro flossers cry foul in light of the strong anti-flossers evidence of the problems of this fishery.

For the record, I sat in a room with a large group of DFO employees,MOE was represented, anglers were there, Fish and game was there, as was FVSS, as well as local fisheries enforcement.
The discussion revolved around the degradation of the Vedder river in regards to anglers actions and fishing techniques. The goal was to try and identify the problems and how to fix it.
All the DFO employees present were very much against the technique known as flossing. They recognized the clear relation between the opening of sockeye(well over a decade ago) and the complete loss of ethics on all our rivers. Things such as keeping foul hooked fish, kicking and molesting fish, blatant use of barbed hooks, angler confrontation, killing mis identified species, fishing without licences and many more, were all considered out of control since the sockeye openings began.
One of the strong reccomendations was to close the sockeye fishery and adopt regulations that restict the ability for anglers to floss. Other actions were disscussed.
This started as a way to help bring back ethics on the Vedder, and naturally evolved into a Fraser problem , as one leads to the other.
It was also made clear that $$$ and agendas drive the sockeye and now Chinook flossery and these folks are very well represented at SFAB meetings, so passing new regulations is never easy.

Compare the sockeye(now chinook)fishery to clear cut logging, gravel extraction, over harvesting by commercial fisherman, or FN gillnetting on the Fraser. All these things are currently legal and all damage natural resources.
We need people to stand up against these actions or they will escalate to dangerous levels.
Same as with flossing, we must draw a line in the sand at where it will stop.

Currently we have both anglers and guides using this technique for all species, including all the biting species in our rivers. It is clearly known that fish will not survive long migrations after being flossed, we know this.
So take into account that every fish you floss will surely die in the long journey through warm waters of summer, consider that.

Changes are coming, they will come as requests by DFO and any ethical angler will follow them. If not we may see a Fraser closure for salmon. I would much rather catch biting Fraser salmon than stay at home, I would hope all here feel the same. Rumor is by 2008 these requests will be law and I applaud this. I would assume that a sockeye flossery will still be consideration in the future, but the flossing technique would be used only then.

Now let the crying commence :'(

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
:eek: I didn't mean to start anything but thanks for the responses. I will be moving to Vancouver in June and I'm just trying to figure out the local "lingo". I fished a ton of large Brookies and Atlantic salmon back home in the Maritimes and as I understand it flossing would be considered foul hooking and there fore an illegally caught fish.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts