BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
3,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a had a few discussions in the past, both with friends with wives/girl friends, or directly with the women, who don't don't fly fish, but would like to learn. It appears there are a couple of impediments to these women getting involved in fly fishing. Many guys are (wisely, I think) reluctant to teach their partners how to fly fish, and many women are intimidated trying to learn this technique in the company of a bunch of men. I am just throwing this out now to try and gauge the interest level in having a women only clinic. If there is enough interest, we might be able to get Kathy Ruddick to put on a clinic this upcoming spring. Kathy, obviously has a great appreciation for the obstacles to women in fly fishing, and would be great to have, but if she isn't available, I am sure we could still arrange quality instruction. Any women members interested, or any guys whose partners would be interested please PM me and we will see what can be arranged. There would likely be a fee involved, but again, this would be determined by the interest level shown.

· Banned
2,854 Posts
I bet my girl would be interested Especially learning from another woman. I have tried to teach her but she doesnt listen or ignores me LOL :happy: she only has the basic problem which is dropping the wrist in the back cast, other than that she should have it LOL would be a great thing and some of us "male" members could come to help out possibly or just to hang while they learn.

· Registered
3,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
HOOK said:
would be a great thing and some of us "male" members could come to help out possibly or just to hang while they learn.
Having talked to a number of women regarding this, and one of the positives for them is NOT having some of us "males" helping of hanging around. Your girlfiend is like many of our partners; she doesn't take or want lessons, or input from her partner.

· Registered
578 Posts
professori said:
HOOK said:
would be a great thing and some of us "male" members could come to help out possibly or just to hang while they learn.
Having talked to a number of women regarding this, and one of the positives for them is NOT having some of us "males" helping of hanging around. Your girlfiend is like many of our partners; she doesn't take or want lessons, or input from her partner.
I think I can add some light here. As an instructor I have found that most novic casters (male & female) feel pressured when they have an audience, make that an over zelus partner and the equation gets even worse. For this reason when I teach fly casting I insist on a class of 5 to 10. This way when I detect that a person is feeling stressed I can ease the pressure by telling them to work on an aspect of casting while I move on to help someone else.

· Banned
2,854 Posts
I think it is mostly from my constant "stop dropping your wrist" that really pisses her off because other than that she would have it I guarantee. I handed her a level wind showed her how it worked and in a couple hours she was casting like a pro. she picks things up easily which is very nice when your teaching your partner something :thumbup: :thumbup: I think i might teach her the CP this upcoming season ;D that should be fun LOL :beerchug:

I mentioned this to her and she gave me a childish "no" but when i said none of us men would be there she seemed a little intrigued. ;D

G

·
If something like this came up in the Okanagan, I'd definitely be interested.
I've been fishing since I was just a little ankle-biter, but only tried my first attempts at casting with a fly rod last summer. I caught a lot of branches, and snapped a lot of lines, but that's about it.
I don't have anybody to show me. My boyfriend is so fishing-illiterate that I have to tie the hook to his line, tell him when to stop letting it out, take the hook out of the fish's mouth, kill it, and clean it for him. Does this sound a little backwards?
Anyway, all I know about fly fishing I learned from "The Gilly", so I would definitely be stoked on a casting clinic that was aimed towards women. I'm sick of having men trying to humour me.

· Registered
1,660 Posts
mechanic_virus said:
Are you planning on making the June "meet the members" fishout at Roche? If you and your boyfriend go, I'm sure there are many here who wouldn't mind introducing you to fly casting sometime during the event. Just an idea anyway...and I don't think any of us are anywhere near a Kathy Ruddick...she's awesome.

· Registered
3,378 Posts
This is a good point, Prof. I think there are actually quite a few women who would love to learn to cast a fly. As a partially converted "gearhead", I am slowly discovering the "art" of casting rather than the catching. Rather than throwing a line in the water, I have learned that presenting a nice cast onto a body of moving or stillwater truly is a learned skill. It also comes with a big dose of patience as well as a much higher "reward" when a fish is finally hooked and landed. I am also quite sure most women do not want or need any male presence while learning about the various types of equipment, ff terminology, as well as the actual casting...........Ortho 8)

· Registered
1,165 Posts
stone said:
mechanic_virus said:
Are you planning on making the June "meet the members" fishout at Roche? If you and your boyfriend go, I'm sure there are many here who wouldn't mind introducing you to fly casting sometime during the event. Just an idea anyway...and I don't think any of us are anywhere near a Kathy Ruddick...she's awesome.
Yes she is awesome. By the way her and her husband work in Kamloops at that big outdoor store. I do believe she still gives lessons.

· Registered
1,199 Posts
Well I have a course set up - actually I was sopose to go today but the guy who was teaching cancelled out on me and my friend - this morning :'( But it was a one on two course of casting which I was really excited about taking. Anyways we will rebook and hope it doesnt happen again. If it does I will be looking somewhere else to learn. I can tell you I WOULD NOT want a audience - hook! :p You feel stupid enough - at least I do - lol. Like Prof said - intimidated! And in regards to Kathy Ruddick - she is a doll - I met her on the Fraser with her husband Malcolm and I was going to set up to learn from her and then she moved away to the Okanagan somewhere. Mechanic_virus Im sure you could hook up with her as I am pretty sure she is out your way. Anyways for me - I am wanting a 1 on 1 - 1 on 2 course - I need the extra attention :wallbash:

· Banned
2,854 Posts
I already said to you FishnFvr i you wanna learn from a woman primarily then you could look into taking lessons from Adrian at Micheal & Young :thumbup: they have casting clinics all the time. You should have gone to the spey clave they had on the 5th of April because i would bet they had more than just spey rods there :thumbup: I was going to go but couldnt make it this time around.

· Registered
1,199 Posts
I didnt say I wanted a woman to teach me. I would just prefer a smaller class - 1 on 1 or 1 on 2. I just think its better also if you dont have your spouse teach you. Mine tried to teach me how to drive a standard once and I just about let him out on the street - lol. (I know Im cheeky - lol) :happy: (no actually Im difficult :happy: )

· Registered
1,165 Posts
My wife would be the last person that I would want to teach unless we had therapy booked right after :happy: . If she ever chose to fish then I would GET her some lesson.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.