BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dad wants to try fly fishing for bows on the Thompson around Spences bridge. Ideally we would like to go during a stone fly hatch and try some dry flies out. Any info on access, times, types of flies to try, etc...would be appreciated.

I know a few guys from this site pontooned down last year and was wondering when and if you were planning to do it again. (I dont have a boat but I could hijack my dads for a day or two)

Also is the Nicola worth trying as we would be driving along side on our way from Merrit to Spences Bridge.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Haven't fished the T too much recently. Have fished for bows above Ashcroft with some success in the past using small caddis and stimulators. With the wind in the area at times, it was nice to fish with a 6wt.

·
Registered
224 Posts
most guys fish from wallachin down to juniper beach down to ashcroft and sometimes all the way down to martel. the stimulator is my go-to fly up there, but elk hair caddis, tom thumbs, mikaluk sedges, etc all get the job done. you can also change it up with chernoble ants. don't be afraid to throw big flies at them. the river will be high now, but you should be able to find some slower water. i have found the fishing drops off once the sockeye move in toward the end of august, early september.

best access without a pontoon is at and above ashcroft.

as stone says, count on it being windy - and HOT.

dinsdale.

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
Good shore fishing can be had anywhere you have access from Savona to Spence's Bridge. In August large (#6 or #4) California Blondes are ubeatable. Almost any hopper pattern should take large rainbows.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.