BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well we are all settled in here in Nanaimo (I hate moving) and I keep hearing how good the fishing is from the beach at departure bay. Problem is I really don't know how to go about it or if it is even possible to fly fish from the beach. Does anyone have any tips to get a newb started? Or even better if someone in the Nanaimo area would like to show me the ropes I'd very much appreciate it.

Thanks,
Grant

·
Registered
22 Posts
Pink fishing was good through the middle of September in Departure Bay. Most of the activity was off the creek by the gas station for people casting pink sparkle flies or spoons in 3-8 feet of water. Beach fishing for coho can be good in the Nanaimo area until early November. You may want to stop in at one of the local shops and see what flies they recommend and other advice.

·
Registered
901 Posts
one big tip i can give you
make sure you use a saltwater reel
and clean all your gear as soon as possible with fresh water :thumbup:

·
Registered
22 Posts
I would use a 7 or 8 weight fly rod if you are fishing for coho or other salmon off the beach. A 5 weight would be fine for cutthroat, which are a lot of fun, particularly if the coho are scarce.

As far as fly lines, you will get a range of suggested types. Personally, I tend to use an intermediate (clear) sinking line, often described as a monocore or slime line. If a particular beach has a very gradual slope, and is basically quite shallow, I would lean toward either a sink tip line, with the sinking section being that monocore type. These are called clear tip or ghost tip lines and because the rest of the line floats, your line does not end up dragging on the bottom during your retrieve.

In addition to the good information you will get fro members of this site, I would also recommend seeing if your local library has back issues of B.C. Outdoors magazines; some libraries carry the magazine, others do not. Going through back issues you will find many good articles on beach fly fishing which you might find useful in getting started.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.