BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I just got into fly fishing a couple of years ago, primarily around the Merritt area.

Tried fly fishing in local Vancouver rivers without much success..a learning experience, except for a few pink 2 years ago and chum on Seymour and Squamish rivers. Never tried the Vedder but went there last weekend to look around. Not knowing the area we ended up at Slease Bridge (I think) which I assume is the Limit Pool. Nothing but drift fishing (if that's the right term). I guess the river is too high for fly fishing.

A few questions:

Anyone have any suggestions as to where to fly fish the Vedder this time of year?

Also want to charter for sturgeon (on the Fraser I guess) this year with my son. What's the best time of year for this?

Would also like to fly fish for Pinks this year. Would appreciate anyone letting me know when and where they arrive.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
You will probably have more success trying to find a place to fly fish the vedder somewhere below the Vedder Xing Bridge or even the canal. Historically speaking fly fishermen aren't given much consideration either because of a lack of knowledge or just an attitude. I've seen more than one fly fisherman crowded out by other uncaring steelhead anglers many times. Getting there early may give you a couple of hours of freedom ............ but no guarantees.

The Fraser has been very high of late (about 2 Meters higher than normal). Once it returns to its usual levels and clears up a bit both Sturgeon and Salmon Fishing will improve greatly. I'd probably try to book something towards the beginning or mid August, September, or early October.

Pinks should start showing up in good numbers in about 3 weeks (+/-) ........ just a guess. One never knows the exact time when it comes to mother nature. I've seen them caught on the fly anywhere from under the Mission Bridge to Hope. The mouth of the Harrison is a great spot provided you have a boat.

Sometimes fellow BCFR members on here may have an open seat available ......... you just never know when some hospitality may be pointed your way.

WELCOME TO THE SITE & GOOD LUCK on the flow ...

GOFISH 8)

·
Registered
691 Posts
Like it's been said, the Fly water on the Vedder is there, but you will uisually get crowded out, I like to inform people that get to close that I'm new at this then chuck on over their head ;D Let the water come down a bit more, and the spots will show themselves, but below the crossing bridge is better.

Like Gofish said, pinks will be in the water so flyfishing the Fraser will be a blast this year, keep an eye on the board and you will know when they are here.

As for chartering a Sturgeon trip, I'd click the Custom river fishing ad the shows up on the Header from time to time. They can definately hook you up :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
in the fall chehalis, vedder, cap, seymour, squamish, harrison. will all have fish and there are spots on all those rivers to fly fish, some are right next to the road, others are a nice hike into. but once u get to a pool that u know has not been fished earlier in the day and that has fish, its so exciting. If you want pinks,chum,chinook stick to the vedder, chum go to the squamish, harrison has chum,pinks,coho. Seymour has a small run of pinks, and an alright run of coho, cap is iffy on the pinks and chum, and if water levels are alright, some coho & chinook will apear.

good luck, tightlines

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Many thanks. I'm heading to Merritt this weekend for some trout fishing, albeit in the summer doldrums, but will probably do a pit stop at the Chilliwack River on the way up and try some fly fishing below the bridge. Will let you know if anything happens.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Here's my suggestions:

Try the lower Nicola River; runs from the lake to the Thompson. Great river to start on; it requires some walking but it can be a good producer.

The Thompson is a fantastic fishery but it does require some homework.

Right now is prime time for the Stonefly hatch on both these rivers (once you master this fishery it will spoil you forever). I recomend you work Kaufmann Golden Stone, Stimulator, Tom Thumb, Joe's Hopper, and Leadwing Caddis.

Locally try the Stave, there are some nice Bows in there and believe it or not it's Stone time there too! In the fall this river rocks and a fly fisher who knows his or her stuff can catch Chum, Pink, Coho, & Spring there untill their arms fall off.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.