BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if it is considered acceptable to fish wet flies with a strike indicator and maybe some split shot on "fly fishing only" rivers?? I was thinking of trying this on some runs were large exposed boulders and conflicting currents in the middle of the run make it near impossible to get my fly in the path of holding fish. I only ask because this could be done with or without a traditional fly rod.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Nope, can't do that as a strike indicator is classed as a float. Page 96 Freshwater synopsis
fly fishing … angling with a line to which only
an artificial fly is attached (floats, sinkers,
or attracting devices may not be attached
to the line when fishing is restricted to "fly
fishing only”).

·
Banned
2,859 Posts
so what about beadheads on flies then? or leadwrap? wouldnt that constitute adding weight and make it not a true fly fishing fly. would be good to know the answer to this :cheers:

·
Registered
694 Posts
The regs are clear, read them, follow them, or take your chances.

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
Page 96 of the 2008/2009 regulation synopsis reads in part:

artificial fly … a single-pointed hook that is
dressed only with fur, feathers, hair, textiles,
tinsel and/or wire, and to which no external
weight or external attracting device is
attached. Two or more hooks tied in tandem
are not permitted. Where gear is restricted
to artificial flies, floats and sinkers may be
attached to the line.

In absolute compliance with the law, bead head flies are not considered legal (they constitute an external weight) although I have never heard of a CO making an issue of it. Read the regs and these questions shouldn't be quite so common.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
How about a strip of thick lead wire tied along the shank of the hook and underneath whatever else dresses the hook? :D Technically wouldn't be considered an "external" weight then, wouldn't it? Just playing devil's advocate here...

·
Registered
517 Posts
bill said:
"artificial fly" you can use any material to make the fly but you can not use anything but line between the fly and the reel
That's not true Bill, you can design a special hook that can be retrieved with a special magnet :happy: Just kidding, BUT if I don't get good enough with my fly casting :wallbash: I'll surely start working on the project!!

G

·
Registered
59 Posts
I can't believe that a CO would first of all be in a place to check things out and secondly be smart or picky enough to prevent someone who appears to be fishing within the spirit of the law. Lots and lots of people using indicators while chronnie fishing. I have no problem with using any type of fly, weighted or beaded or otherwise, to fish anywhere fishing is allowed. :naughty:

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
flyfisherB said:
I can't believe that a CO would first of all be in a place to check things out and secondly be smart or picky enough to prevent someone who appears to be fishing within the spirit of the law. Lots and lots of people using indicators while chronnie fishing. I have no problem with using any type of fly, weighted or beaded or otherwise, to fish anywhere fishing is allowed. :naughty:
Well, you'd be wrong, and you'd probably get ticketed. In a fly fishing only lake, chironomid fishing is OK, but not under an indicator. Glad to hear you're ok with "using any type of fly, weighted or beaded or otherwise, to fish anywhere fishing is allowed." Does that mean you think it is OK for you to use a barbed hook where it is illegal? Maybe dropper flies are OK too? Or do you just decide which regs apply to you? Just curious.

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
mrmugs said:
Great thread, very informative.
What about a bead head that adds weight but is part of the look of the fly?

ie. Stone fly nymph.
Read the previous threads.

attached.
Two or more hooks tied in tandem
attached to the line.

In absolute compliance with the law, bead head flies are not considered legal (they constitute an external weight) although I have never heard of a CO making an issue of it. Read the regs.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
I decided to ask a CO about this to see what he said. He's the father of one of my lacrosse players. He said "external weight" means a split-shot or something similar. If the fly has a beadhead attached to it as part of the fly's design, or has a lead wrapped underbody, then that's perfectly ok.

·
Registered
334 Posts
professori said:
mrmugs said:
Great thread, very informative.
What about a bead head that adds weight but is part of the look of the fly?

ie. Stone fly nymph.
Read the previous threads.

attached.
Two or more hooks tied in tandem
attached to the line.

In absolute compliance with the law, bead head flies are not considered legal (they constitute an external weight) although I have never heard of a CO making an issue of it. Read the regs.
I disagree. When a black bead head is added for the look (to create a head) I would interpret that as legal. However a micro leech or wooly bugger with a brass head would be illegal as the brass is shiny and would be interpreted as an attractant.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
mrmugs said:
I disagree. When a black bead head is added for the look (to create a head) I would interpret that as legal. However a micro leech or wooly bugger with a brass head would be illegal as the brass is shiny and would be interpreted as an attractant.
Yes, it may add a feature to the fly that would attract fish, but making it as realistic as possible also attracts fish. The whole point of the rule is to not provide the angler with the advantage of external weights to get their fly down to the zone quicker and staying there longer...it has nothing to do with attracting fish, IMO.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.