BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking for some advice from some of the experts......have decided to start fly fishing again.....have not done so in years.......bought a decent set up from Reaction.......used it a week ago wed afternoon for a couple hours of practice when i bought it with no luck.....was out for a few hours this tues ......fished behind the vedder river camp ground for a couple of hours and nobody touched a fish......fished mid river and released half dozen pinks....that was a blast......hooked into a couple of large springs and when they took off in the fast water i just snapped off the leader knowing there was no way......lost what could have been about an 8 lb coho.....bright, crazy, went tearing across the river and around a rock and broke my leader......not my idea this time

questions? is it better to use a heavy or medium sinking line(tip)
is it better to cast up stream and mend your line as it is coming across or is it better to cast straight out
is it better to do a dead drift as in float fishing or should you play the line a bit to entice
i found that i had more action when i used a small red gammy and a bit of wool as upposed to the fly's i was using???

any advice would be appreciated.........did a lot of fly fishing the lakes around merrit and kamloops and a fair bit on the skagit but that was a long time ago

thanx.....nocoho probably head out for the afternoon tomorrow

· Registered
3,796 Posts
nocoho said:
questions? is it better to use a heavy or medium sinking line(tip)
is it better to cast up stream and mend your line as it is coming across or is it better to cast straight out
is it better to do a dead drift as in float fishing or should you play the line a bit to entice
i found that i had more action when i used a small red gammy and a bit of wool as upposed to the fly's i was using???

any advice would be appreciated.........did a lot of fly fishing the lakes around merrit and kamloops and a fair bit on the skagit but that was a long time ago

thanx.....nocoho probably head out for the afternoon tomorrow
I'm not an expert, but I'll pass on what has worked for me.
1. I use a multi tip system, and change up sink tips as the water dictates. I try to keep the fly just off the bottom, so if I find i am snagging rocks too much, I'll change up to a slower sink rate tip. If I'm not feeling the bottom, I will change to a heavier tip.
2. A quartering cast, straight across or slightly downstream on the flow is better than upstream. The upstream cast is workable, but means you have to strip line in to maintain contact with the fly.
3.dead drift or twitch the fly. Both will work, but if one method isn't doing it, change up. Remember to fish the drift out and then strip the fly in at least part way to your position.
4. Like the answer to the above question, some days one fly (even a gammy and wool) will work better than the others. If you are fishing over fish you know are there and getting nothing, change up your fly, change up your presentation, change up your retrieve.

Hope this helps some.

· Registered
691 Posts
long with what the prof said, it is best to cast like he said slightly downstream, in slower ,moving waters when fishing for coho and pinks stripping has produced better for myself. When you cast up-stream you do run the risk of flossing the fish. You didn't say, what weight rod did you get? I have found, and due to fishing with some great guys like Bergler learned that short heavier leaders are alot better way to go. leaders in the 3-4ft range and 15-16lb test. Unless fishing clear froggy water.

· Registered
6 Posts
remember to get the fish on your reel quickly(as opposed to hand stripping)
i have landed 8 lb coho and even one ****** on my 8 wt outfit using this method as i think the reel forces more patience on you, i tended to get a bit greedy when stripping by hand and broke off more fish.
as well in the slower pools on the bottom end of the vedder try a floating line with a strike indicater
and weighted fly(adjust leader length to suit conditions) and just dead drift through the run.
good luck

· Registered
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanx for the info......went out for about 4 hours today and got skunked.....same water i hit a number of fish in tues.......river seemed to be very slow today.....only saw one pink beached......talked to a number of guys and all were skunked

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.