BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, does any one fly fish for springs? What flies colour/patterns do u use? Dead drifted or stripped? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
694 Posts
The4 only ones I've hooked in the vedder were also on popsicles, my 9ft 8wt didn't stand a chance against most of them though. Nothing like looking at bare spool ;D

·
Registered
578 Posts
I use my own pattern that I cam up with (Flat Black), a large maraboo leach would probably work just as well. It's a game of patience & skill. Get the right gear; 9 or 10wt rod, and a large reel for lots of backing. The hard part is keeping the fly in their zone, keep it there and you will catch them. Don't get dicouraged when you get one it will be worth the wait. You know you have a prize when you go to tail the fish and you can't lift it.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Newsman said it best. I got my first springs on the fly last year. I got most of my success on big leeches. Like newsman said its all about getting the fly in the zone. I noticed that the springs are not too fussy about the fly itself.

·
Banned
2,859 Posts
im guessing that a spey rod casted fly would stay in the zone alot easier with the heavier line

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So those dinky slow sink tips for coho wont work! Time to go buy a full sink, or super fast sink tip! :'( Spending all my money once again!

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Youngun:

You could also try and get into the right zone by weighing your fly. It's not ideal, but you can certainly swing a heavily weighted fly along the current seam where springs like to hang out in rivers. Use the appropriate length leader and adjust the weight needed by adding split shot if you have to. An 8wt rod would be minimum to target springs and large chums, IMO.

Good luck!

Stone

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
so wrap the body in lead wire and brass eyes is what ur sugesting(hope i dont get that thing in the back of the head!) Steelhead on little creeks and coho in small rivers have been my quary with my 6wt so far, so casting monster bulky flies is gonna be a challenge!

·
Banned
2,859 Posts
hey young gun

ya i would watch out with a very heavy fly as they hurt like hell :-[ :-[

i got a line for my 8wt its from Scientific Anglers and has a 13foot heavy drifting head it is specifically designed for river fly fishing and works very well

however now i got the new spey rod so i will be using that more than likely but will bring the other one just incase

HOOK

·
Registered
578 Posts
Whites are by far easier to catch than Reds. Has to do with the freshet. Nicola Springs are easier than Thompsons; remember both are C & R exept for that small slot by the Bridge in early August. I usually target the Whites in the Fraser tribs, Oct through Nov, with a single hand 9wt (I have a spey but don't like it). I like to sight fish (I hate fishing blind) so I spend allot of time stalking.

Here's the tricks

Get away from the crouds
Keep the noise to an absolute minimum
Work on accuracy not distance
When you spot a fish, work from behind a stump or bush or at least from behind the fish. (after I spot a fish where possible I creep up to a waist to chest high bush or shrub within casting distance and try to keep my arms as low as possible).
Think like a Heron, be observent,and move only when necessary.

I learned a long time ago that on over cast days and when not spooked, Springs stay closes to shore. I have had them swim by me in water as shallow as three feet and gin clear.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I hate to say it but i've fished the thompson a long time and the springs a damn stupid! Any roe crappy, rotten, fresh will work, so why wouldn't a large egg pattern work?

·
Registered
578 Posts
Can be done; but I recomend you get the chuck & duck down first, because if you what to fish the Thom for Springs you are going to need a shooting head with a very high grain to it.

·
Banned
2,859 Posts
if i remember right the head on my 8wt line has a 625 grain head its quite the learning curve at first and hurts when it strikes you in the back :(

·
Registered
578 Posts
HOOK said:
if i remember right the head on my 8wt line has a 625 grain head its quite the learning curve at first and hurts when it strikes you in the back :(
I have had the experince. Wide loop and duck low when you fire it forward.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts