BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
1,030 Posts
I tried little jigs for pinks with the 6wt....they were hard to cast normally, so I did like a side arm pitch, after a few tries I could cast the jig way out....nothing like using a super small #4 jig hook with a small bead and slammin pinks!

· Registered
691 Posts
While some guys do like fishing indicators, there are none allowed during fly only periods., and no jig's either.

· Registered
1,030 Posts
you know there are always 2 sides to every fence and every technique....I do not see jigs or indicators passing for flyfishing, but others might....sometimes it is fun to try out dif techniques with fly fishing.....stripping added a different action compared to whippin' a jig or spinning it in...I found anyways....that could just be me....

But I've never used an indicator in my life.....rather toss a bugger then a cronie or nymphy under a floating corkie, or use a worm and bobber lol :drunk: but then again, everyone has a dif way of fly fishing.....

· Registered
1,160 Posts
Mike D , its an issue of legality, its not okay to use a indicator or external weight in a "fly fishing only" fishery such as the Vedder currently is.
If the river was "artificial fly only" I would be able to go there with my normal centrepin set up with float and jigs and would be 100% legal.
A JIG is a fly by letter of law, it meets all requirements of being a fly. Truth is a jig is a fly with a typically larger head and hook eye that is bent such that the jig rides hook up when fishing. The result is a lure that gets wicked hook up placement in the fishes mouth, for both landing ratio and mortality rates, it far surpases a fly in that department, as the lower jaw hook placement on many a fly caught fish is in actuality rather dangerous. With the tongue area being sensitive to bleeding, some of these super long flies and ones with stingers could be rather dangerous IMO.
Probably time for a self interest group to do a study on this and come up with some BLOATED numbers to support that theory, works for the anti bait crowd. :thumbup:

· Registered
218 Posts
Bent Rod said:
Mike D , its an issue of legality, its not okay to use a indicator or external weight in a "fly fishing only" fishery such as the Vedder currently is.
If the river was "artificial fly only" I would be able to go there with my normal centrepin set up with float and jigs and would be 100% legal.
A JIG is a fly by letter of law, it meets all requirements of being a fly. Truth is a jig is a fly with a typically larger head and hook eye that is bent such that the jig rides hook up when fishing. The result is a lure that gets wicked hook up placement in the fishes mouth, for both landing ratio and mortality rates, it far surpases a fly in that department, as the lower jaw hook placement on many a fly caught fish is in actuality rather dangerous. With the tongue area being sensitive to bleeding, some of these super long flies and ones with stingers could be rather dangerous IMO.
Probably time for a self interest group to do a study on this and come up with some BLOATED numbers to support that theory, works for the anti bait crowd. :thumbup:
Hey stop bashing my self interest group!! I KNOW your developing a tubefly jig!!!

Actually though the long flies aren't really a problem or stinger if your tying the stingers in close to the hook shank and if the tube is used properly. If they are trailing way out behind then you actually have more of a chance to hook the fish on the outside of the mouth in the eye area etc. and/or down the throat more..but what's funny is the first thing pointed out to me when I stared tying um and someone looked at my box is that very thing and why you don't tie that way!!!

Here's some from yesterday..sure was nice having the river to ourselves.. one tube one stinger..

· Registered
72 Posts
If you are not using a strike indicator, and are using heavy weighted or beedhead flies,it is almost the same as fly fishing with a jig,as long as the jig is made with feathers and such.The only real difference is the style of hook.

· Banned
2,854 Posts
on regards to what you said BR about the hook with a jig sitting "hook up"

Why not tie the flies you use for salmon/steelhead or even trout for that matter so they ride "hook up" I think i might try tying up some muddlers with the hook upside down :confused: see if it works better might look goofy but could work like a hot damn.

anyone ever try tying patterns this way ?

· Registered
3,796 Posts
To get a hook to ride point up you have to put weight on the top of the hook. Take a look at clouser minnows, one of the original "point up" patterns. Yeah, lots of fly tyers do poin't up patterns, but it takes more than just tying your pattern upside down.

· Banned
2,854 Posts
great tip Prof :thumbup: thanks

so there is NO way of tying without putting a slight bit of weight on the top of the hook to make it ride point up?

I think i will be trying that for a couple of my salmon patterns and see if the hook to land ratio is greater

· Registered
898 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.