BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to get a cheap setup for fly fishing steelhead. What is the complete setup going for? Im gonna be checking some pawn shops this weekend, is there something I should keep in mind? Also how long does it take to get the hang of it? Do fly fishers only fish with flys or do they use pink worms, roe and wool ties too?
thanks for some help, maybe this would be better in the flyfish section.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Wow! Some broad questions that you could get a thousand different answers to. ;D Set ups? Depending on where you live, I'd head down to your nearest shop and let them know what your after. If the pawn shop idea is in your mind, then IMHO you'd be better off going to a shop for a set up. You get piece of mind with a warranty on rod and reel, in case anything should happen. Most shops will put together a package set up for you depending on your budget. Some starting around $150 for the set up, and you may even spring a deal for the line too. I'd say for $300 you could walk away with a set up and matching multi tip line. Dragon Fly rod and reel combos would be a good entry level set up as an example of what to look for.

Getting the hang of it? It's all about time and practice, and most importantly patience. The more time put in, then the quicker you get the hang of it. The less time spent, then the longer it may take. Most shops will be able to point you in the right direction for instructional books and videos, and maybe a casting lesson or two if $$$ allows.

Fly fishing is all about the artificial flys, and nothing else. IMO anything but a fly, tossed off the end of a fly rod would be out right sacrilege. ;D Wool ties would be acceptable though. ;D

Happy shopping, keep us updated.

Finder :cheers:

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
If I can make a suggestion before you go running off and spending your hard earned money. Read this site. Get a good grip on what you're getting into. Most of your questions could be answered if you looked around here for a bit. Don't be in a rush to get into it right away until you are fully informed.

·
Banned
2,859 Posts
also dont forget that most of our local fly shops have USED fly rods for great prices. and they are usually half the price of the rod new or even less at times. i agree with FF about going to your local shop and having a chat with someone there rather than buying "just anything" and hating it later. at a fly shop they will usually slap a reel onto it and let you feel the way the rod works which will help in deducing which you like most. dont rush into it take a little bit of time to find a great rod for a good price.

also keep your eyes peeled on this site or our sister site www.flyfishbc.com for great deals of people unloading some really great rods/reels and even lines.

·
Registered
72 Posts
the type of rod will depend on the type of water you will be in.If fishing the lower vedder, then you could use a 9-10ft 8weight rod wich would also be good for coho and pinks.If you plan on fishing the bigger rivers,then a spey rod would be better.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.