BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't want to Highjack the other thread on beginners fly lines, so I started a new one. For those of you that have been chucking feathers for a bit, what lines have you been impressed with, or thought were really someting different and good.

Myself this year started with quite a few new purchases in the rod department, and not one got strung up with the same brand/model of line :confused: I tried to match the lines to the rods, I did good on all but one, my little three weight. I strung it up with The Rio trout select, now this is a very good line for traditional casting, but couldn't do the single spey casts I was hoping it could. I also found it took a fair bit of line out of the tip to really load the little Loop yellow 3wt I have. So I also picked up a Loop Opti-stream line for the little yellow. Now this line is fun, it won't lay a size 24 soft hackle down like it was carried on a soft breeze. But it will allow you to do any basic single spey cast you want, and allow you to shoot enough line with it to hit the far seems you are aiming for. And off the pick up it'll allow you to shoot over 40ft of line with no real effort.

I also picked up The SA nymph line for the wifes 4wt, no major new stuff with that line, the extra weight does help to load her somewhat stiffer little rod, and let her feel the load.

Theres other lines that I picked up but before I bore anyone with the details, what lines or combo's have you guys found that are working real nice :cheers:

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
young gun said:
The clear 333 cortland floating line in 8wt is a key for fly fishing clear/low water fish, I love it!
I have the Cortland 444 Clear Camo intermediate sink line on my 4wt, and the Cortland 444SL clear sinking intermediate line for my 8wt. I find the Clear Camo sinks much slower and is in fact closer to a true intermediate sink line than most other clear "intermediate" lines out there. Most other clear sinking lines are closer to the sink rate of a Type II line. These lines exhibit very little memory even in colder waters.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I played with the Cortland 444 floating line on my 8wt and was not overly impressed, maybe the 333 is different? I do like the cortland clear camo lines, my favourite line for stillwaters on my 6wt is my clear camo ghost-tip cortland line, as I often find myself fishing 4-7ft of water sight fishing with leeches and scuds it works just perfect. As for my 8wt the only line I use now is my Rio Versi-tip line, for rivers it's the only one I think you really need. :beerchug:

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That can be a problem from time to time. No worries, the longer you've been at it, the more they just seem to accumulate.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What exact use is this line going to be for, as in Rod weight, and type of fishing?

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Inter-changable tips aside, My favourite sink tip line is my Cortland Ghost-tip line. It has a 15ft clear camo intermediate sink tip, and casts quiet nice. The only thing I could see a problem is it does carry some weight, and depending on what 5wt you have it might be a bit much. If you're out this way, I'd be glad to let you try it out. :cheers:

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have a heap of lines...some good some bad. I have a 444 Cortland clear camo in a six weight and its great, low memory and super slick. I hear its one of the few good ones from Cortland. My other favorite line is SA Mastery GPX WF6, combined with a fast action rod that thing is a rocket!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.