BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Banned
2,854 Posts
LOL ya FLY ONLY means fly rods only. same way as some lakes are fly only lakes. and no this doesnt mean you can use gear rods with flies on the end as i have seen some people try :naughty:

243 Posts
Actually, you can use a gear rod you just cant use any gear on it. No external weights ( split shot, pencil lead etc) no floats, no swivels, no anything, just a fly on the end of your line. If you can cast that with your bait caster then you should be ok.

It should also be noted for the fly casters that there is also no floats I mean indicators or split shot allowed either.

· Registered
218 Posts
Kryptonite said:
Actually, you can use a gear rod you just cant use any gear on it. No external weights ( split shot, pencil lead etc) no floats, no swivels, no anything, just a fly on the end of your line. If you can cast that with your bait caster then you should be ok.

It should also be noted for the fly casters that there is also no floats I mean indicators or split shot allowed either.
That would be interesting to watch someone trying to cast a fly only on a gear rod lol

· Registered
1,660 Posts
fyrslyer said:
Kryptonite said:

That would be interesting to watch someone trying to cast a fly only on a gear rod lol
While technically correct to satisfy the regs, I was wondering that also. It would be practically impossible to cast a fly that weighs almost nothing on mono with a gear rod. ;D Care to share how you would do it?

· Registered
3,796 Posts
stone said:
fyrslyer said:
Kryptonite said:

While technically correct to satisfy the regs, I was wondering that also. It would be practically impossible to cast a fly that weighs almost nothing on mono with a gear rod. ;D Care to share how you would do it?
Pretty sure Krypto was being sarcastic. The original poster asked if he can still use his baitcaster, and Krypto was just pointing out that the regs don't specify what type rod you must use, only what terminal tackle is allowed. A flyrod certainly seems like the only thing to use, but if you could figure a way to use a bait rod and satisfy the regs (maybe load the reel with a WF8F line??) you can use it or any other rod. :peace: :peace:

· Registered
1,660 Posts
I just re-read Krypto's post, and he did state "if you could cast that with your baitcaster then you should be ok"...which pretty much answers my question. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.