BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I'm thinking of begining fly fishing but not sure what type or name brand of rod and reel to get. I will be going after the vedder river salmon most of the time but i would like to keep the option open for trout in small lakes too. Any ideas? Thanks in advance :drunk:

·
Registered
139 Posts
I use a 7 weight rod for my river fishing its a little heavy for trout and a little light for large salmon. As far as brand goes just get a well known brand(fenwick,dragonfly etc) $100-150 will buy you a decent beginner rod. Don't get the walmart special. I use a Martin 7/8 and a dragonfly chilcotin 7 weight. Although there is no good for evey situation rod, this is a good all around weight to start with.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
318 said:
I use a 7 weight rod for my river fishing its a little heavy for trout and a little light for large salmon. As far as brand goes just get a well known brand(fenwick,dragonfly etc) $100-150 will buy you a decent beginner rod. Don't get the walmart special. I use a Martin 7/8 and a dragonfly chilcotin 7 weight. Although there is no good for evey situation rod, this is a good all around weight to start with.
Strange that you should recommend a Dragonfly rod and then tell him not to get the WalMart special. My WalMart special is a re-branded Dragonfly 6wt and I can highly recommend it as a beginner rod for lakes and streams when pursuing trout.

There is a wealth of info on this board re: beginner setups. Take a look around and if you have any questions after, we'd be more than happy to answer them :cheers:

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I kinda want to get a top notch rod and reel so i dont have to get one for a while. If i buy a real good fly reel can i switch it back and forth between a lighter weight and heavyer weight rod, or do certin reels have to be on a certin rods?

·
Registered
694 Posts
Reels are usually bought with 2 things in mind, drag and capacity. With them lighter weights you really don't need much of a drag if any at all. For Salmon most guys like to have a decent drag set-up. once you've decided that then you have to decide how much capacity you need, you can use a bigger reel on a smaller rod but it just doesn't balance nicely.

So that being said it is best to match the rod an reel set-up. Most ofthen a stiff 8wt rod will handle your salmon needs, and a 5 or 6 weight will do for your trouting needs. a 6wt will also do well for pinks and bulls/dollies in most situations.

I like the echo rods and would consider them a mid-grade rod even with the lower price point, for reels it's really just what turns your crank.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Dubz said:
I kinda want to get a top notch rod and reel so i dont have to get one for a while. If i buy a real good fly reel can i switch it back and forth between a lighter weight and heavyer weight rod, or do certin reels have to be on a certin rods?
With a top-notch rod, you're going to pay top-notch dollar. If money is no option, then your almost unlimited in which rod you can buy (even a custom handmade one). You'll find that reels are labeled with their intended line weight, which in turn is designed to match a rod of equal weight. I've got a 6wt rod/reel and a 3wt rod/reel. Reels are Pflueger Summit series'. Rods are Dragonfly and Amundson.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Dubz, I bought a Sage Laungh 8wt with a Sage reel 1680 early this year for fishing salmons in the vedder. While waiting for the Cohos (!!!) I decided to practice my cast and going for trouts. So, I bought a Dragonfly 5wt. I love it. It is a medium action, very soft and enjoyable while fighting even a very small trout. I first though to use the same reel I had on my Sage rod (the 1680, just changing spoon) but after only a couple of hours it didn't feel good. So, I bought the Sage 1650, and now is perfect! Very light and very well balanced. DragonFly is not an expensive rod and in my opinion is a goog rod for beginners, and also you don't need to buy a Sage reel, there are other reels cheaper that do the proper job anyway (if there is any real job to do for a reel while fishing trouts).

Go to a tackle store and try few rods, you will feel the difference and decide yourself what's the best fit for you. If you decide for the DragonFly, the two pieces feels much much better than the four pieces. But you try and see.

G

·
Registered
102 Posts
I bought the dragonfly 8wt last year. Only used it twice as still trying to get the handle of flycasting. I find flyfishing more challenging and technical than gear fishing.

Can't say good or bad things about the fly rod as too soon to judge.

Cheers,

Michael

·
Banned
2,859 Posts
I also toss a Dragonfly 8wt for salmon and an Echo 9/10wt Spey for salmon/steelhead. I want to upgrade my 8wt only because its a 9foot rod and i want a 10foot. the two rods im torn between are the Sage FLI and the Echo both 10foot 8wt's (my dad has the Echo one and its awesome) we both use a large arbour Sage 1800 series reel as they have a great drag and lifetime warranty.

I would say for your first salmon setup dont go to crazy on the rod as you may break it learning how to fight fish on it. I see guys every year breaking rods because they are inexperienced and nothing pisses you off more then busting a $500 rod and knowing you will be dishing out more money to have it fixed and/or replaced :wallbash:

I have really horsed on some 40lb springs with my Dragonfly. they are pretty tough and with the fast action they can toss the heavier sink tips quite easily ;D

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Sage also offers the VT2 series rods. Very nice sticks with a good backbone to handle most salmon our rivers can serve up. The 896-4 would be worth a look. Also the Z- Axis line has a 990-4 model for more $$$. With both of these models you deffinitely wouldn't need to up grade for some time. Regardless of any suggestions your best bet would be to go into a few shops and have a look for your self. Maybe casting a few models along the way. Everyone has different preferences and tastes in what kind of action they want in a rod, and this would also give you a better idea on what would suit you best.

Let us know what you go with.

Finder :cheers:

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
All this talk about Sage when someone asks for a "top notch" rod recommendation...to bring balance to the universe, I HIGHLY recommend the GLX from GLoomis. 10' 7wt for steelhead and smaller salmon locally, or the 8wt if you're going to tangle with the big boys. :)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for all the input :thumbup: I think i will go after one of those glx's around november (just got a bar rod). But ya i have bought cheaper rods and reels in the past but always end up gettin a real good one after a couple months, so kinda cuttin to the chase now. Thanks again :peace:

·
Registered
784 Posts
GLX is a nice rod. Just thought I would put in my 2 cents for Scott rods. I have purchased a few over the past year and I think they are fantastic. Like others have said what is good for one person might not be good for you so go and try a bunch of rods which will make the investment worth while.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Sorry to harp on the Sage chat but I just bought a 6wt Z-axis after 20 years with an old Sage III. The biggest benefit is the light weight of the rod, no wrist or arm ache even after a lond day casting. So I would suggest that you buy the lightest you can afford for the rod AFTM weight you want.

(The Z-axis I bought is a 4 piece 91/2ft and is great for travelling - at 30 inches it fits easily in a suitcase. However, it does have a slight tendency for the parts to come apart and has to be checked once in a while. I have the same problem with my spey rod and now bind the spigot joints with electricians tape).

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.