BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Although this is only my second year down here in the Fr. Valley, I feel like I put in a lot of time in the Vedder while chucking a fly. Late spring and summer is a blast with rainbows on a 4 wt. And in the late fall, especially end of Oct and into Nov, non-stop action with the chum on egg patterns. Wow! But why oh why, do I ever have any luck with the other salmon with a fly? I mean, I know salmon don't really "feed" once they're in the rivers. But I know at least, that chinook and coho bite more often than not, even on the fly. I had them bite on the Island. But for some reason, down here, in the Vedder, I can never entice coho or salmon to my nice, big, flashy flies, drifted with a sink tip, and a strike-indicator. I even tried small flies for the low water/clear water scenarios. I've tried the obvious salmon/steelhead flies, even the darker/purple/back/blue flies. I have flyfished for years...I'm no expert...believe me, but come on,,,what gives??? I usally get the same 'ol advice from others..."just keep pluggin' away." Any advice out there? My only explaination is the strike factor...am I either too slow or too quick to set the hook??? Do I miss the strikes? I know I'm deep enough, as I loose flies. I dead drift and strip in, or both.

·
Banned
2,859 Posts
well for salmon fishing on the Vedder my first tip would be remove the indicator as you will get a better drift. as for coho in the Vedder i have caught most of my coho with my fly rod. and usually have my best days with beadhead Rolled Muddlers in natural or olive. i have caught springs on this fly as well. I have never really specifically targetted springs with my fly rod but all the articles i have read it says big marabou flies work best for them. pale colours mostly and black :hmmm:

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Hook, much appreciated. I actually just started using an indicator lately for the drift. But yes, I did get those chum without an indicator last fall. I didn't like using it anyways for salmon. It wasn't a good drift. I'll try those BH rolled muddlers...and I'll start on those darker/black flies for the springs. Thanks again, Hook!

·
Registered
78 Posts
just do what everybody else does.....grab a big ol spin cast rod, the biggest lure with the biggest hooks you can find, a weight, and strike indicator, sit by the pool, and floss away...this is also great if you enjoy fishing the same 30 feet of shore with 20 other people......as you can tell I'm bitter....the way most people fish the Vedder river is a joke :pissed:

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Augie.......I have only caught a handful of springs on my flyrod, and very few coho as well........I do know that coho love a moving target, and the dead drift approach might not be the best one for them...I would think a cast/strip ethod might entice more strikes, especially in slower waters...As far as springs go I have only caught them on very large chartruese and forest green maribou "spey type" flies.
Chum will occaisionally grab a fly, but you will likely have better luck with bait or chucking some large spoons.....Tight lines......Ortho 8)

·
Registered
327 Posts
fishortho said:
Augie.......I have only caught a handful of springs on my flyrod, and very few coho as well........I do know that coho love a moving target, and the dead drift approach might not be the best one for them...I would think a cast/strip ethod might entice more strikes, especially in slower waters...As far as springs go I have only caught them on very large chartruese and forest green maribou "spey type" flies.
Chum will occaisionally grab a fly, but you will likely have better luck with bait or chucking some large spoons.....Tight lines......Ortho 8)
Your right with that Ortho :thumbup:
See if you can visually find the Coho holding then cast over and down stream. Strip the fly back up through the school or as close as possible to the Coho. In other words, Piss Them Off, and they will strike at the fly.
I have watched when Christmas Trees work their wonders as I think that the fish think it's another Coho moving in on them.

·
Registered
56 Posts
In many years of flyfishing, have only caught maybe 3 springs, mostly jacks, tons of coho
and a few chums.
The coho seem to like a fast retrieved fly.
Had one spring chase a #14 fly one day.

What would he want with such a small fly?
Find it difficult to get down to the springs and when fly does, they just let it go by.
Most of the chums had been in the river for some time.
Just put the fly in front of them, give it a twitch or two and they would take it.
Cutthroat take a dead drift or fast retrieved fly.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
What I've found to be important on the rivers is both the depth and the drift. I find it more difficult to gauge the depth with a flyline, unless of course you're hooking up on the bottom. I like the multi-tip systems for this. I can play around a bit until I get down to the fish. I've also found that the cohos seem to prefer a clear fly line in the slower moving waters. I agree with Ortho...a little more action on the fly for the coho. I've sometimes found just a little twitching of the flyrod to change the action up a bit on the drift can attract a bite. Just a couple of my observations out on the rivers. Good luck!

·
Registered
224 Posts
fishortho said:
buddy occaisionally? I do better with the fly than bait and gear combined. Than again I have more confidence in fly fishing for coho and chum than bait fishing these days so that might play a part. For chum I use one fly and thats an olive flash bugger. I also use the same for coho but with the coho I have a few other flies I use as well mostly in olive and blue. Blue muddlers, crystal blue muddlers, xmas trees the usual coho flies.

When fishing faster waters let it the fly dead drift down and on the retrieve give some short quick retrieves. This well pulse the fly and I notice after the quick pulse after the fly makes that quick move a fish well take it. Remember just because when you retrieve and the fly is only a couple feet off the shore it does not mean fish are not close by.

When fishing frog water vary your retrieves. If you know fish are around change flies every 10 - 15 minutes.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys. All this info is a big help. Can't wait to hit the upper Vedder Sunday morning for some action. :thumbup:

·
Registered
62 Posts
In my experience fish do go for gear much more when fishing pressure is high. However, if you can get to a place where the fish haven't been bombarded with metal they seem to respond much more to small flies. By the same rationale, if I were flyfishing where the fish have seen a lot of gear I would select larger, flashier flies.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Agreed with the comments that flyfishing for coho is best in froggy waters... you want somewhere you can strip the fly rather than swing it. Never had much luck with the springs though.

Good Luck!
:D
Tex

·
Registered
146 Posts
Never had much luck with the springs though.
I have read that they don't like the flashiness of a coho fly. If you are specifically targeting coho the springs may not be as interested in the fly. :2cents:

·
Registered
789 Posts
i was fihsing in a frog water section recently, seen a guy stripping in muddlers beside me and nailed a huge chrome spring !!! but never seen any on christmas tree like patterns just coho and chum for me with those !

·
Registered
327 Posts
I finally did it :happy: :thumbup:
I got a fish on the Chilliwack, with my Flyrod!!!!
I got about a 12lb spring above the Alison pool area, not a chromer but good enough for the smoker.
A fellow with his wife there gave me an orange rabbit leechy pattern with large dumbbell eyes.
It got down deep on the second cast and BINGO.
It was fun, FINALLY after I don't remember how many tries and years. :thumbup: YAHOO

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.