BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just got 2 flyrods and i want to start fishing with them .i really dont have to much experience with them where is a good lake to learn hopefully a lake that i could hook into a fish they are both 6 weights the reals probably suck shakespeare i think what is a good line should i use sinking or floating .i want to try for stealhead also but im going to get a better real for that . Any info would be awsome :beerchug:

·
Registered
789 Posts
6 WT's are to light for steelheading, a 8 WT is more prefered.

As for lines for lakes, A Rio floating line and a Rio Aqualux (Slime Line)

As for lines on the rivers a good versa tip system is a good way to go

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
Good lakes to learn...? Hmmmm, well, my experience is limited but I am sure others here can help, danielk. Depending on where you live there are a lot of local lakes which hold lots of fish in the 8-12" range that can be lots of fun on a fly rod. There is a report on buntzen lake in the reports section, some decent fish there. as for room to cast, you could do it there off the dock or the beach, but in the spring and summer you might be better off casting from a boat as otherwise you might hook some of the bigger fish walking around on the beach behind you... ;)

A floating line would likely be the easier one for you to learn with, once you try that for a while, then give the sinking line a try...both have their usefullness when fishing lakes. You may also want to pick up a sink tip line for the lakes, but I am sure others will add to this...

I carry a floating, sinking and sink tip line for lakes, and a versa tip system for the rivers.

Hope that helps,

rib

·
Registered
229 Posts
I'm not a fly fisher(yet) but depending where you live there is local lakes within the municipalities that are stocked with trout. I know there is one right by Guildford in Surrey where I see guys fly fishing all the time, not real exciting but lots of open room to practice your casting, very close to home and I believe it's pretty easy to catch a trout in there. I'm sure there are local lakes all over that are similar I know there is at least one in Abbotsford and another in Langley.

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
Danielk-If yolu have a boat, head out to Buntzen. You can also try Sasamat from the floating bridge. Mike lake is not too far, but again you really need a boat, or float tube. You could drive out to Sayers Lake. Some real monster trout in there at the pen end of the lake. Or so to Whonnock in Maple Ridge.
As others have said, a 6 wt is a bit light for a steelhead rod. It is a good weight for trout, pinks and even coho, but you should move up for other salmons. It is not that you can't catch them on a 6 wt (a buddy of mine landed a 22 lb spring on a 6 wt, while targetting coho), but it takes much longer to land them and thus really stresses the fish unnecessarily. A reel for these rods and uses needn't be expensive. Almost all my reel are Dragonfly Kamloops models, which cost around $60-70. They have a good reliable disk drag and come with a spare cartridge. You can spend a lot more and not get much better. (and the difference in price can mean an extra fishing trip to me.) Good luck and welcome into the light, young Jedi. :happy: :happy: :peace:

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
If you have a pair of waders, a float tube and fins, Mike Lake is a nice little lake to fish. If you hit it just a couple of days after they stock it, you can catch a bunch of pan fryers to keep it interesting. Sometimes, they put in a few large brood stock that can also surprise you. Use your floating line with a long leader (around 12-15', ending with a 4 or 5x tippet) and slowly drag around a beadhead olive wooly bugger in a size 10 or 12.

Bookmark this link and type in the name of the lake that you are interested in fishing, and it will tell you the stocking history including the most recent event and the size, sepcies and number of the stocking:
http://srmapps.gov.bc.ca/apps/fidq/stockedSpeciesSelect.do

Good luck! Learning to flyfish was some of the most exciting memories I have. ;D

Oh yeah...I think that lake in south Langley that was mentioned is called Lafarge Lake, and was a former gravel pit that they filled with water and stocked. There's a beach that you can stand and cast from, and you can also explore it with a tube or small inflatable.

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
stone said:
Oh yeah...I think that lake in south Langley that was mentioned is called Lafarge Lake, and was a former gravel pit that they filled with water and stocked. There's a beach that you can stand and cast from, and you can also explore it with a tube or small inflatable.
Actually Lafarge is in Coquitlam, at Town Centre. It is stocked with rainbows (stocked at the beginning of November I believe) and also has some very large carp. Can be fished from shore (but you are constantly having to watch for people crossing behind you in the path of your back-cast.) Better done from a tube or boat/canoe.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Royal_Coachman said:
I think Stoner meant Latimer lake aka Stokes pit off 28th and 192nd in langley ;)

Where are you located Daneilk?

-RC
Yup...that's the one. Couldn't quite remember the name, but I knew it started with an "L". ;D Thanks for the clarification, folks.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Latimer lake still around ? I used to fish there but havent been there in years, last time I heard it was all dried up by a accident due to contruction going on in the area. there was something about it on the news and in the paper

·
Banned
2,859 Posts
last time i went down to see if Latimer was still there it was DRY!!! no water. the one near Guildford is called Green Timbers and no the fish arent super easy to catch there unless your there around when they stock it. if you try this lake the best times are "usually" April through September. try chronomids black/silver ribs, blakc spratly, red spratly, leeches big or micro(stripped fast sometimes), may flies work but not often and usually in olive, green chronies, and just try anything you have and dont forget to bring boatmen also especially in the end of summer/fall time. most of those flies are my common flies to hit fish with there. the 2 best areas are: when you first come to the lake from the parking lot, off the pipe casting towards the space between the bull rushes and the land across from you or anywhere in that general area AND if you go around the lake you will see a "bay-ish" area that had one scraggly tree, in that area is also good. if you go on a summer day dont bother until the last few hours of daylight always is the best because the fish come close enough to cast to. there are some big fish in there my biggest is 5lbs (missing most its fins though) and my biggest fully intact fish was just over 4lbs :eek: biggest i have heard of was 12lbs :eek: :eek:

DO NOT WADE INTO THIS LAKE!!!!!! if parks and rec see you or your dog or watercraft electrical or otherwise you WILL GET FINED $150

tight lines

HOOK

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
wow thanks guys i didnt expect to get so many replies .i live in new west .ill probably hit up green timbers on sunday i just hope the lake isnt frozen even if it is ill just put a piece of wool on and practice casting .and thanks again for the info it sounds like winter isnt to good for the fly oh well its better late then never :beerchug:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.