BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

5,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Fishery Notice - Fisheries and Oceans Canada

Subject: FN0552-RECREATIONAL - Salmon - Recreational fishers' cooperation with Aboriginal food, social, and ceremonial (FSC) Fisheries

Recreational fishers are advised that the Aboriginal Food, Social, and
Ceremonial (FSC) fishery for sockeye has commenced in Areas 11, 12 and 13
beginning July 22, 2010. FSC fisheries have a priority under Section 35.1 of
the Constitution Act which provides First Nations people priority access to the
resource for food.

First Nations in most cases will be using commercial vessels to access their
FSC fish. Recreational fishers are requested to give way and allow these
vessels to fish in their preferred fishing areas unimpeded. Some of the
preferred FSC fishing sites include Deepwater Bay, Green Sea Bay, Robson Bight
and Double Bay.

Should you have any questions regarding the First Nations FSC fishery please
contact your local DFO office.


Barbless hooks are required when fishing for salmon in tidal and non-tidal
waters of British Columbia. This includes all species of fish in the Fraser

The term "hatchery marked" means a fish that has a healed scar in place of the
adipose fin.

Sport anglers are encouraged to participate in the voluntary Salmon Sport Head
Recovery program by labelling and submitting heads from adipose fin-clipped
chinook and coho salmon. Recovery of coded-wire tags provides critical
information for coast-wide stock assessment. Contact the Salmon Sport Head
Recovery Program at (866) 483-9994 for further information.

Rockfish Conservation Areas that are currently in effect and are closed to all
fin fishing. Descriptions of these closures, and other recreational fishing
information, can be found on the Internet at:


Did you witness suspicious fishing activity or a violation? If so, please call
the Fisheries and Ocean Canada 24-hour toll free Observe, Record, Report line
at (800) 465-4336.

For the 24 hour recorded opening and closure line, call toll free at
(866) 431-FISH.

If you wish to obtain a recreational log book please call Lisa at 778-859-0505.


Kent Spencer, Resource Manager 250-286-5885

Fisheries and Oceans Canada Operations Center - FN0552
Sent July 22, 2010 at 15:52
Visit us on the Web at http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca
1 - 1 of 1 Posts