BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone can tell me anything about flyfishing prospects on this massive lake. I'm visiting a Prince George friend there for a fishing derby during the first weekend of June. I expect that being a big, deep lake, most people fish it with downriggers and heavy gear, but that's not really my thing. I'd prefer to flyfish for the rainbows, or maybe even get some kokanee for the smoker. Anyone have suggestions for sections of the lake to attack, fly patterns, or even other lakes in the area better suited to flyfishing?

Thanks

·
Registered
550 Posts
I cant offer much advice on fishing Francois as it was too big for the float tube :p but was in the area last summer and found some good fly fishing in the finger lake area.I would also recommend Heart lake just north of PG. Cobb lake between PG and Vanderhoof can also be worth while. Stop by the outdoor shop in PG for up to date reports.

-RC

G

·
0 Posts
If you're going to be near the east end of the lake the river flowing out of the lake right at Nithi Lodge has bigger rainbow in it than you'll ever catch in the lake. And grt this, the whole river from Francois to Fraser Lake (About 6 miles if I remember right) is designated Fly fishing only.
Hope this helps, Gadget

·
Registered
59 Posts
The river designated for fly fishing only is a great one......called Stellako River.
It has a great trail leading down to some deep slow moving pools, but I prefer wading the river from the bridge down to the rapids.
Good luck!

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
Fished the Stellako last summer. Possibly the best trout water in BC. I used to live in the area 20 years ago (on Babine Lake) and fished around there lost. Wasn't a fly fisher then so mostly Ford Fenders and worms for the big lakes. Take a short drive to Binta lake (a few miles SE of Francois). A nice smaller lake that used to hold lots. You could also try Uncha. Ask around when you get up there. They don't call it the Lakes District for nothing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts