BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about going out this weekend. Have been a long-time BB but am changing my ways and attempting Bar fishing. Just wondered if anyone is getting out and if conditions are improving or are still marginal? With the albion test fishery going again, what numbers do you look for to see real improvement or good numbers of "Nooks" going upriver? Is like 5 fish in the albion good? My plan was to fish the corner just up from the Jesperson launch. Seen boats there before(just as you enter the main river and head straight up the middle channel). Anybody had success there before? Is there a name for that area? What depth of water should I be targeting? Anybody ever tried using Kwikfish in the Fraser or other plugs? Any input appreciated and happy barfishing!

Also, can anyone give me directions to the launch located next to the Agassiz bridge just below spaghetti bar. During sockeye season I usually launch at Jesperson and run up but it takes awhile and I thought there was a launch located just below the bridge or maybe another launch that is closer than Jesperson. Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Gill Road launch? Its at the end of gill road I believe.

As for bar-fishing, it seems to be going slow, but will pick up once water vis' increases. The only thing to suggest is get out there and give it a shot... Good luck to you..
Try spin n glows as well as kwikfish, i think spin n glows work better though.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
The launch you are referring to is Ferry Island (right underneath the bridge). Thrasher gave a report of a break in so don't leave anything in your truck. As for the fishing, well we were out all weekend and nothing. The visibility is around 4 inches. We were using spin n glo's with roe. Which bar are you refering to up form jesperson's? The one out in the main channel where just a tad of bar is showing? From what I saw all weekend no-one had any luck there, but the conditions aren't the greatest. I did hear of 2 Nooks caught down by wellington bar over the weekend (Barfishing).

·
Registered
17 Posts
Bar fishing will be getting better as the water clears up. The warm weather that we had received last week has melted some of or what was left of the snow and brought the levels up again. With the cooler weather the river will start showing better clarity thus improving your odds at bar fishing. Try a big spin and glow with a gob of roe.

The bugs are horrible this year so you might want to try from the boat while anchored.

I have been out there a few time this year and brought all of the bar gear and found that I never stopped to fish as I just toured around viewing the sights, sounds and smells of the river. I figure just being out there is reward enough.

Make sure you report on your trip.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I was up at Grassy this afternoon pretty slow. We went around the back side facingthe houses and wouldn't you know it; I hooked up and off we went chasing it down with the boat. Nice 17-lb doe.

No room back there to beach them so we anchored in 6' depth and dropped the rigs off the back of the boat. We've done this a few times this year and it's proving to be quite effective. I was pretty sceptical at first but it just proves to me that all these years of bombing betties 75-100' out is just blowing right over the fish.

I guess an old dog can learn new tricks.

·
Registered
249 Posts
rieber said:
No room back there to beach them so we anchored in 6' depth and dropped the rigs off the back of the boat. We've done this a few times this year and it's proving to be quite effective. I was pretty sceptical at first but it just proves to me that all these years of bombing betties 75-100' out is just blowing right over the fish.
rieber,

I was trying the same the other day, but down at the mouth of the Sumas (see my Fraser report for july 17 in the Fishing reports section). This is the first year I've tried backtrolling/backbouncing and wasn't as fortunate as you were.

What kind of set up were you using, if you don't mind my asking? I was trying out a Kwikfish K13 with sponge and some gel scent. It did diddly squat for me. Next decent day, I'll head back out again. Hopefully the river will start clearing up soon.

LL

·
Registered
956 Posts
salmon are a very chemically respondent fish and much more attracted to the scent trailed baits/lure than without.

Like using Kwikfish with or without scents. The one with scents will catch far more fish, handsdown.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I'll have to try scents next time with a spin-glo. I've tried anise scent on blades for coho and steelhead and quite honestly I've never caught a salmon or s/h with scented metal. I know others others have had great success but not me. I guess it's just a confidence thing with me.

·
Registered
708 Posts
rieber said:
Have you ever done a direct comparison between spin-glos with vs. without scent, fishing sided by side. I wonder how much it really helps.
yup. That's why I mentioned the garlic anise smelly jelly. Not sure if other flavors help much,but I do know about this one. Got a few buddies that think it's kinda like the credit card commercial, "Don't leave home without it"

·
Registered
68 Posts
It's not only about giving them something to smell that they like, it's also about getting rid of the smells they don't like, mainly the smell of a human. Fish can easily detect the smell of you, your lunch, your bug spray, and any other odour inducing substance you might handle before you grab hold of your terminal gear. There's a very interesting article on this subject in the most recent issue of STS, talking of the detrimental effects of potato chips and bug spray, amongst other offenders!! Adding an attracting scent can only increase your chances of getting that chrome slab to swallow your offering! Of course, this is still fishing, and we know this sport can offer no guarantees!!

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
chronic1 said:
It's not only about giving them something to smell that they like, it's also about getting rid of the smells they don't like, mainly the smell of a human. Fish can easily detect the smell of you, your lunch, your bug spray, and any other odour inducing substance you might handle before you grab hold of your terminal gear. There's a very interesting article on this subject in the most recent issue of STS, talking of the detrimental effects of potato chips and bug spray, amongst other offenders!! Adding an attracting scent can only increase your chances of getting that chrome slab to swallow your offering! Of course, this is still fishing, and we know this sport can offer no guarantees!!
This explains why I've missed a few fish when I DON'T get my starbuck's coffee in the morning! :happy:

Hotrod

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
This is me with a big fish on and caffine in my blood!!

:happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy:

Hotrod

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
This is me when my rod converts to a broom to clean house!

:happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy:

Hotrod ;)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.