BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Premium Member
3,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am wondering.....this seems to be a very nice rod for the money but why do the guides have a square
cut or rather a sharp 45 degree angle comming out either side of the hole on the guides..?? When you have
a heavy pound braided line running through with an 18 oz. weight on the end it's like pulling up an anchour
with a chain attached to it...? Why are they not round like an "O" ring and squared like a "lifesaver"...?
......... :confused:......Marko

· Premium Member
3,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is a common guide and seems to be standard throughout but the way I see it the hole should
be ventury ? shaped at best ....otherwise it's like running the back side of scissors on ribbon to make
it curle.....I have noticed this before and keep thinking it's the reel but when you bypass the guides
and add tention to the line the action is dead smooth....This must creat a great deal of added stress
on the line and premature wearout in all cases.......I'll be calling the manufactuer on this one.... :confused:
If anyone can shed some light or contacts please do.....Marko

· Registered
1,030 Posts
Marko: You have a FAULTY rod....I have both the Green & Brown...and the eyes on mine are round or oval....but I do know what you mean...they're more a triangularish shape more than a cricleish shape.....

Could it just be wear and tear from the braided line going through the eyes?

I have had problems with Trophy XL with my sturgeon rods before...

Mike <")))><

· Premium Member
3,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mike D , the guides arrent faulty or worn it's the design I'm reffering to. This appears to be the same with
all guides as far as I can tell....M

· Premium Member
3,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I contacted a company that supplies most of the guides sold . Pacific bay is a massive regional
distributer of all types of fishing equiptment and the sales rep. was very intrested. These parts are
made in China and is looking into altering the design....Marko

· Registered
707 Posts
actually it is a written 1 year warranty, but if you break the rod under normal usage at any time, call first and talk to the warranty guy at Redl and most likely (99 out of 100) it will be warrantied even if it's iover the warranty period by a long time. It then becomes an abuse thing. If the rod looks like it's been looked after overall and is 5 years old or whatever it will most likely still be warrantied. I have seen very old rods warrantied and on others the consumer with the broken rod is offered a new section at a modest fee which is comparable to other companies service charge. If you happened to break the tip and were going to be charged for a new one it would be in the $40.00 range which is very similar to a service charge that other companies charge at this time for warranty handling. There is no "handling charge" at this time on both Trophy XL or Dragonfly products charged by Redl Sports the owner of both products

· Registered
736 Posts
rln said:
actually it is a written 1 year warranty, but if you break the rod under normal usage at any time, call first and talk to the warranty guy at Redl and most likely (99 out of 100) it will be warrantied even if it's iover the warranty period by a long time. It then becomes an abuse thing. If the rod looks like it's been looked after overall and is 5 years old or whatever it will most likely still be warrantied. I have seen very old rods warrantied and on others the consumer with the broken rod is offered a new section at a modest fee which is comparable to other companies service charge. If you happened to break the tip and were going to be charged for a new one it would be in the $40.00 range which is very similar to a service charge that other companies charge at this time for warranty handling. There is no "handling charge" at this time on both Trophy XL or Dragonfly products charged by Redl Sports the owner of both products
Good to know!! I have a Medium 10-20 pound Trophy XL that has served me very well. It is going into it's 5th season, I have always looked after it, but I have my doubts if it may make it through another season. I love the thing though. The best money I ever spent on fishing. The rod has cost me what works out to be about $20 a year. Never thought a $100 rod would last and perform this well for this long!! ;D ;D Kudos to Trophy. :cheers:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.