BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all;

A freind and I fished the Fraser Mon. 8-2 around 3:30 pm to 8:00 pm. We launched at Island 22 and went to grassy bar.

During this time, we hooked 2 kings around 15-20#'s, but lost them after a 20 min. battle.
We also caught and released 5 sockeye.

I was using bubble gum pink and white yarn with a orange scale corky trialing the hook about 3 ". I was drift fishing this rig using a 4" leader.

I hooked 4 of the fish. My friend hooked 3 fish bottom bouncing with a 15' leader. He was using hot pink and white yarn with a orange corky trialing the hook.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Hello all;

A freind and I fished the Fraser Mon. 8-2 around 3:30 pm to 8:00 pm. We launched at Island 22 and went to grassy bar.

During this time, we hooked 2 kings around 15-20#'s,
Which kings did you hook? Tutenkhamen and George IV? No "king' salmon in Canada, only Chinooks or Springs. King salmon only swim in US waters. hehhehheh

·
Registered
21 Posts
It's great to consider new rigs...I've never seen gear setup with a "corky trailing the hook" but it sounds intriguing. How was this tied?

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
i don,t think it would have mattered much what your friend was using if he was BB with a 15 foot leader

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
i don,t think it would have mattered much what your friend was using if he was BB with a 15 foot leader
man, you need that 15 foot leader so the fish can't see the weight and mainline. LOL

Thanks for the report, moro...but when you talk about flossing here, guys are just gonna tear into you.

cheers

·
Registered
89 Posts
Was out for some bar fishing around Jones Creek (not much bar to fish from, and running quite quick, didnt last long), and pretty much every person there was bottom bouncing/flossing sockeye, I felt like dropping a reg book on them regarding the targeting of a closed species... . Watching people around sockeye reminds me of a politician around the pork barrel.

·
Retired Administrator
4,447 Posts
This has been said before many times. The sockeye fishery brings out the devil in all of us at times. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
270 Posts
EVEN when the devil comes out I can still catch the socks with out being an === , BUT then I do not think I own the water/river.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Reminds me of fishing one of the only sockeye gongshows up North, that being the upstream tip of Ferry Island in Terrace during mid July. Everyone was fly fishing fine for sockeye until a bunch of idiots barged in between everyone with their baitcasters and 15 foot leaders. When asked what they thought they were doing, they told us this is the way things were done on the Fraser and to suck it up, of course using much nicer language......

Needless to say, a couple of these morons fouled up everyone's line constantly until one fly fisher let his drift swim right into their legs, only to yank it as deep as he could, letting out a sound everyone in Terrace could hear. Never did see them again while I was there:D

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The trailing corky is tied by extending the leader about 4" past the hook( using an egg loop knot) , sliding the corky on amd attaching a small bead on the end with a simple square knot. This set up gives the yarn some additioal action like a fish tail moving.

As for bbarkley's comment. Not all people who floss are disgusting, obnoxious people like you described. As has been noted many times, this is how Some people were introduced to this manner of fishing. I wanted to show my friend that you can catch fish without resrorting to these kind of tactics. Aside from the ethical questions, it is a pain in the **s to cast the long leaders. My friend will not be flossing the next time we go out. Sometimes all a person needs is an example to follow

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
I tend to agree...I was introduced to salmon fishing by people who floss. Although, I was using a 4 foot leader that the time...still flossing but a little better. I had no idea what I was doing, I actually thought the sockeye were "biting." I was 15 at this time.

There are even a few guys who are either confused or trying to hide the fact that they are flossing. I was on the vedder a few weeks back, and there was a dude casting a float...with about 12 feet between the float and the weight with a 4 foot leader. Of course, the float was on its side the entire time and the water was obviously no deeper than 6-8 feet. He was geared up like someone who knows what he was doing...so my guess was that he was tired with the slow fishing, and tried to floss a few while looking innocent.

·
Retired Administrator
4,447 Posts
Couple of points. First, fly guys floss too and most of them at Ferry Island in Terrace are hooking those sockeye in the outside of the mouth. Just because they use fly gear does not put them up a notch or two from the other flossers using levelwinds or spinning reels. Second, the litmus test for determining if one is flossing is not necessarily leader length. The flossers in Port Alberni use a 4 foot leader and very little weight very effectively to intercept fish. Third, those folks at Jones Creek flossing were probably targetting springs dont you think? Why would they be targetting sockeye?

I don't want to beat a dead horse and there are many good threads on this topic already, just do a search.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Without a doubt, everyone at the tip of Ferry Island is flossing. Using heavy sink tips to dredge the bottom of the river as the sockeye shoot up the seams.

My comments were more specific to the fact that this fishery often brings the devil out in lots of people.....

·
Registered
89 Posts
Well, as far as Jones Creek, I did see a couple Springs caught for sure, I guess it would be considered the "jackpot"
but, I think it would be fair to say, most were just there to catch fish, I dont think species really mattered. Didnt see any kept, and the guys were just catch and releasing, looking for the bonus Spring, but why floss, possibly a better rate of success?

·
Registered
612 Posts
Nope, Flossing is the art of gently slipping your well placed fishing line through the fish's open mouth as it swim towards their long awaited frenzy of reproduction and ultimate death.
It doesn't matter where the hook sets its still flossing.
It happens in the Fraser for sockeye which generates most of the Wrath here.
But,realistically,its for a very short period,then all the insanity dies off and things return to normal.
It is amazing to watch the crowds of zombies heading off with one thing in mind and blinders on to most other common sense things.
Fortunately there are still some of us normal folks out there to come to the rescue when things fall off the rails for some,which happens every year.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
It is amazing to watch the crowds of zombies heading off with one thing in mind and blinders on to most other common sense things.
Fortunately there are still some of us normal folks out there to come to the rescue when things fall off the rails for some,which happens every year.
Aint that the truth Abb. Can't count how many times I have seen a 12 foot cartopper with a 9.9 on it, with three guys a dog, and a case a beer going backwards while trying to go up river ;-)

·
Retired Administrator
4,447 Posts
Well, as far as Jones Creek, I did see a couple Springs caught for sure, I guess it would be considered the "jackpot"
but, I think it would be fair to say, most were just there to catch fish, I dont think species really mattered. Didnt see any kept, and the guys were just catch and releasing, looking for the bonus Spring, but why floss, possibly a better rate of success?
And therein lies the real issue most people have when a species is closed to fishing. This year with probably a banner run of sockeye and an anticipated opening people will feel justified with the technique for a " get in and get out" retention opportunity. But in lean years when escapement numbers are in peril and the fishery is closed some folks march right on and enjoy a catch and release fishery.

·
Banned
1,355 Posts
Speaking of Jones Bar...most of those fellas are indeed targeting springs with not much success of late from what i have been hearing...I saw the R.C.M.P there today as i was passing by on my way back from Ft Macmurray.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts