BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was riding at herrling last oct and came across a small pool with some small lobster looking guys....im guessing they were crayfish? can anyone tell me the best way to catch some and is there a limit and are they good eating??? i will be camping on herrling to do more riding and would love to try something new? they seemed to be more abundant in the pools and away from the running water. thanks for any help

· Registered
17 Posts
Use a trap like a prawn trap, yes they are good eating, if you can see them they can be caught with a stick, about 4 feet of line and a chunk of bacon just lower it in front of them and pull them out of the water gently when they grab it with their claws.

· Registered
303 Posts
This one sounds good..........

Salad of Crayfish with Fingerling Potatoes and Tarragon Mayonnaise
Yield:4

Ingredients:

16 crayfish
16 fingerling potato
1 cup tarragon mayonnaise
2 sprigs fresh tarragon
2 tbsp unsalted butter
1/4 cup dry white wine
1/4 cup coriander, cress
1/4 cup baby watercress
1/4 cup arugula
1/4 cup baby oak leaf
2 tbsp canola dressing

Directions:
Salad of Crayfish with Fingerling Potatoes and Tarragon Mayonnaise
Cook the fingerling potatoes in boiling, salted water for 20 minutes. Drain them and refresh in cold water and peel. Reserve for later use.
To cook the crayfish, plunge them in a court bouillon for 5 minutes. Let them cool before cleaning them. Clean them as you would a lobster.
Melt the butter over a medium heat in a large frying pan and saute the shallots for a minute. Add the crayfish and cook for 1 minute on each side. Add the fingerling potatoes and continue cooking for another minute with a further tablespoon of butter. Deglaze the pan with white wine and reduce the liquid until dry. Season with salt and pepper.
Slice the warm fingerlings (coated with the mayonnaise and seasoned) in round disks of about 1/3-inch thick. Arrange on a plate in a circle. Put 4 crayfish on top of the potatoes and top with the seasoned mixed cress. Drizzle coriander oil around the salad.

G

·
mmmmmm craydads used to see massive ones at cultas lake under docks as a kid always wanted to eat them .used to get out of kanaka creek to just flip the rocks over pick em up

· Registered
1,989 Posts
Lake of the woods just east of Hope on highway #7 is loaded with crayfish! This lake is super clean and the crayfish i bet are really tasty! As a kid i would use a piece of fishing line and tie on a goob or roe, and man were there lots and lots of em everywhere!

C.K.

· Registered
909 Posts
If you want clean river cray's, walk the cut off channels and shallows down the vedder canal, start flippin' sticks and watch your toes. ;) ;)
Crazy D

· Registered
547 Posts
When i was fishing for pinks in the vedder in 2013 someone cleaned a salmon and left it in the water attached to a rope and i saw 2 crayfish trying to eat it so i caught them both with my hands but figured id need way more for a meal so i let them go. The same day i saw some people with a net flipping logs and rocks i the water and scooping out crayfish so i looked in their bucket and im not exaggerating i saw hundreds

· Registered
208 Posts
Crawfish as they call them are a staple in the south. They boil them in Old bay or shrimp boil spice and corn on the cob. As a kid I lived in Ft Langley on the Salmon river, there were lots of crayfish that we sometimes caught to play with but not eat. There was a family that moved in near us from the southern US. They bought traps and caught lots of crayfish and ate them. We thought they were crazy eating those things, but they are good. Each one doesnt have much meat so you need a lot of them. A daily limit of 25 will only feed a couple of people at best.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.