BC Fishing Reports banner

Fraser River Gravel Mining

3K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  simms4life 
#1 ·
aYup - Again.

105,000 cubic meters this time. Smack in the middle of one of only two known spawning areas for the Lower Fraser River white sturgeon.

The "Seabird Band" (Stó:lō) are the proponents.

Already approved by the Ministry of Forests, Lands and Natural Resource Operations - you know, the same crew that is currently in the news for trying to privatize our wildlife resources

Now gone to DFO - Little doubt in my mind's eye how they are going to rule. But then again ... I might yet be pleasantly surprised...

http://ht.ly/IEcAT

Nog

See less See more
#2 ·
Seriously!?! There are so many potential gravel pits that could fill the need, why would the liberal government agree to kill 50% of the spawning habitat of a 'living fossil'? I'm so frustrated with the rubber stamp process that has taken the place of proper environmental assessments.

#3 ·
Probably because it is easier to dredge out of a river when it is already delivered to you than dig a hole in the ground and truck it somewhere. It is fairly clear this government sees wildlife as another resource akin to timber, oil, gas and gravel. If you can't sell it(and you obviously can't sell sturgeon) then they are just in the way like the people who lived in the Three Gorges area of the Yangtze. Expecting the Stó:lō to not do it when everyone else is? Dream on.

#6 ·
Well , more research is needed. I am pretty sure there are other locations they can use. This location is just more fee sable and less $$$ to extract at that location... You see this everywhere in all walks of nature... All about the Benjamin and they wont care cause in a few years they are out of parliament and dont care of the damage done.

#7 ·
Jobs jobs jobs money money money always the same argument. Even by the B.C. government's single purpose more $ logic it still doesn't make sense. They are still killing an industry with a non-substitutable location, sturgeon sportfishing, to make way for an industry that can be practiced in many suitable locations.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.