BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
2008 is not a fraser pink year, 2009 is a pink year and every second year. although a few people claim they have saw spawning pinks or caught one in even years. and i think you should be able to keep pinks if you do actually catch one , its always open unless if they close it . but better off to look it up

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
I vaguely recall reading about pinks returning every year in the Fraser system, the odd years being the stronger run. The even years was wiped out, IIRC, but I don't remember the reason why.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Sam_Salmon said:
Could be mistaken but wasn't the even year run wiped out by the Hell's Gate rock slide?
Yes I have heard that as well.....

I assume the runs are rebuilding though because I got 2 pinks in 2005 (one male, and 1 female) and one pink in 2003 (all on Vedder). I have always been told that pinks dont run on even years but I guess someone screwed up. :happy: Hopefully it will rebuild to become what the odd years are like :happy:

·
Registered
170 Posts
I am not sure why pinks only run on odd years but I don`t think the slide had anything to do with it beacause pinks only run on odd years on the south coast and even years on the north coast. Some river systems (like campbell )have seeded with even year pinks.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
The slide near hells gate wiped out a majority of the pink salmon run back in the early 1920's. But there actually are still a dismal amount of pinks that return...not of any significance though, hardly noticeable!

·
Registered
76 Posts
stone said:
I vaguely recall reading about pinks returning every year in the Fraser system, the odd years being the stronger run. The even years was wiped out, IIRC, but I don't remember the reason why.
I think the even year of pinks was wiped out by the landslide but I'm not sure

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
spring king said:
I am not sure why pinks only run on odd years but I don`t think the slide had anything to do with it beacause pinks only run on odd years on the south coast and even years on the north coast. Some river systems (like campbell )have seeded with even year pinks.
To further elaborate on the odd year pinks, the hatchery on the Quinsam has released pinks on odd years in order to influence a yearly pink fishery, with quite a bit of success. The Campbell & Quinsam are now considered to have yearly pink runs which are equal in size.

·
Banned
2,859 Posts
sure would make for fun fishing every year if we could get even year pinks. I know i look forward to catching tons of scrappy little pinks on my 5wt every odd year. best time to get kids into salmon fishing also.

·
Registered
87 Posts
The slide at Hell's Gate in 1914 has nothing to do with the lack of pinks in even years. The majority of, if not all, pinks spawn below Hope so a slide in the canyon would have had no impact.

It did significantly impact the farther running sockeye. Ever wonder how Salmon Arm and the Salmon River got its name? Sockeye. Mostly extinct in the years following the Hells' Gate slide.

Why no pinks in even years. Just one of those mysteries...

·
Registered
875 Posts
professori said:
Haven't we messed up enough things in nature without stepping in and changing yet another thing for our immediate wants?
Yes, but I quite like the white spring run ;D

All joking aside, leave it the way it is. On non-pink years, if you just want to go out and have fun target whites. There are tons of them on average (60 000) and this year the run is forecasted at 120 000. You will be able to walk on them if that many come up. Pink years the rivers is sooo thick with fish you can catch them on a branch. Stop complaining and enjoy what we have already :2cents:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.