BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hit the river today at 8:30am, we looked around for spots to target springs for a couple hours, found some that will produce if the water stays at the levels that it is at now. There is actually springs and sockeye in the river, you need to know where to look though.

So after a couple of hours of scouting we went and caught some "stinky" bait. We arrive at the sturgeon hole with no one in site. After baiting up and tossing out we sit back and look for sturgeon porpusing. Within 5 mins we saw 3 jump, one around 8 feet, a small one, and one jumped 20 feet from the boat that was 6 feet or so and fat!

After 2 missed we finally anchored into what seemed to be a shelf before the many drop offs in this hole. Bait chuck and sit back. A rod tip flexes as the weight rolls down river in the swirling water down the shelf into the hole as we miss yet another sturgeon..... :pissed:......than the tip wiggles ever so slightly, rod out of the holder, tip at the fish and SPIKE! line is peeling mach one, a tough 45 minute battle, 4 beauty jumps (INSERT SHOUTING HERE), and I landed a nice fat sturgeon. Measured 7'4 to the fork!

Mike <"))))><

· Banned
2,854 Posts
i watched a documentary on sturgeon in the fraser a couple years ago and it said that a guy found one digging a well in his feild way down in the mud

STILL ALIVE !!!!!!

they can shut down everything in their body to the bare essentials in order to keep themselves alive like that. what a gorgeous and super strong fish.

cant wait till i get to land one of those dino's shouldbe heading out on the 4th for some :happy: thanks Roscopco :happy:

tight lines

HOOK

it also said the record "netted" out in the i think was in the 50's and measured just over 18' and weighed around half a ton or just over half a ton :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: HOLY CRAP eh

· Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok I guess I should leave a description on what is happening here, before some people think I was inadequettly taking care of this dino.

In the first picture we are slowly sliding it out of the water onto some water covered rocks for a quick picture before releasing. There was only 2 of us so lifting it out of the water was out of the question and would harm the fish internally etc. I was with a professional guiding buddy of mine who has been sturgeon fishing for over 25 years and has handled thousands of these beasts.

This fish got sufficient water the whole time as we gently poured water on it to keep the skin from drying this fish was out of the water for 3 or 4 minutes tops, which actually is not that long compared to some sturgeon who are left in 6 inches of water for 10-15 minutes before release. The little 8x4 piece of river bar we were on was the only bar within 2km, so instead of putting more stress on the fish we thought we would go to this place for a few quick shots and a release. This bar was 5feet deep 2 feet from shore so for a good photo we decided to gently slide this fish over the wet rocks very carefully. I am all about taking care of our precious species of world renowed fish that we are lucky to have here in SW BC! You will also notice that it is actually a common practice to handle this fish like I have done so today!

Thanks,
Mike <"))))><

· Registered
1,437 Posts
Steely there is nothing wrong with the way that Sturgeon is being handled by Mike. Key points here are be gentle, be quick, be kind. Sturgeon are a very hardy fish. As mentioned many were found after the last flood in farmers fields (buried in the mud) months after the water receded and they were still alive. Many were transported to bodies of water and then released to again live in the local waters.

Nice fish Mike ........... let me guess ......... was that close to GOMIKEFISH BAR??? Me thinks I recognize the spot from your photo. :thumbup:+

GOFISH 8)

· Registered
281 Posts
That's a big ol' nice fish you caught there Mike. Twas a beauty day to be out on the water. Nice cow hat by the way. I think I have the full one piece cow suit around here somewhere if you wanna go all out... udders and all... could be a little ragged and small as it was a haloween costume from when I was a kid. In any event, nice job on the beast.

I don't think there's a need to worry Steely.... From what I've seen, Mikey is as knowledgeable as anyone when it comes to the Fraser and it looks like he's got a handle on things to me. Just remember. all of us enjoy these reports and photos. They're what make the board tick. Maybe next time offer some help or a solution if you know of a better way of handling the fish, or PM him if you have a concern. Otherwise the poor guy's gonna crawl into his shell and the rest of us will miss out on some great stories and help from an experienced angler.(see his barfishing post)

It is of my understanding that the mortality rate of a caught and released sturgeon is pretty low compared to other fish that we target in this part of the world. My bet would be that that the big [email protected]$tard is still lurking around the bottom of the mighty Fraser shaking out the cob webs and coping with a slight jaw ache. I expect that in a year or two, Mike will show us another pic of a 10-12 footer that he won't even be able to lift the head out of the water, and for some reason looks strangely familiar. I'm not ragging on you Steely... Look at my posts and you'll see that I'm as concerned for the well-being of our fishery as anyone else on here, I just think that in this case there's no need for criticism.

Now get back out there Mikey D, and hook us a bigger one... Me and my jealous side will be here drooling on the keyboard. :thumbup:

· Registered
279 Posts
Nice Sturgy Mike!!! I think you did well with it.

Sweet catch, I've only caught a couple, not that big yet. Cant wait till I get my first 6-7 footer! Let me know if you need a fishin buddy anytime!!! ;) :peace:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.