BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
fished the ved yesterday, hiked in to the big run above tamahi rapids, just one guy fishing the hike in side and half dozen from the road side.....2 guys and one women across from me dredging the bottom, no floats, constant snaggging up, rippin away, the idiot across from me dredges up a dark coho which he bonks, with the sun shining directly in my face could not tell if it was wild or not but my guess is it prob was, it also looked to be foul hooked, there was no identification of this fish just dragged up onto the rocks.....after the third or fourth time one of them crossed my line i yelled at the guy why don,t you take your fraser sockeye methods back to the fraser, i said you can see where i am fishing with my float, i can,t see where you are fishing with no float and the sun directly in my eyes.....he was hooked on my line and i was not going to waste my time so i started pulling mine in and told him to let his loose, he did not want to do it at first but i gave him no choice and reefed mine in and low and behold a fully barbed hook that had to be at least 3 inches long.....man was i pissed, my first thought was to bite the line off but i then realized he was using a heavy braided line and my knife was on the rocks in my pouch so i read the riot act to this dick head, i told him if he did not start fishing legally imediately i was going to hike back to my truck to get DFO number....i laid into this goof big time and he did not say a word, just reluctantly went to his bag got out his pliers and pinched the barb off....there was no way he did not know the rules, he knew excactly what he was doing, there has to be some way to get the assholes off the river(parden the language)....i honestly don,t think i have ever been this pissed off at someone on that river, he was lucky he was on the other side of the river because i probably would have hit him in the chops with his illegaly caught fish and got myself into trouble at the same time....anyway that is my rant for the day

fishing was dead slow with the low clear water, 2 chum released lower river and a spunky 30 second battle with a fish i did not get a good look at before it spit the hook, 2 coho for 5 second hand shakes and that was it for the day.....hopefully this rain will bring in a few fresh fish:peace:

·
Registered
11 Posts
I was out at the river the other day and a son asked his father "Dad do we have anymore treble hooks?". These methods are being taught to the next generation. I should have said something to him but I did not. I picked up alot of used line and gear while on the stave last week and it was huge barbed hooks and line that was like cable. I don't understand why this form of fishing is not made illegal or at least put a restriction on the length of leader. I really enjoy fishing but going to the river and watching people snag fish and bonk them makes me sick. I dont know what the solution is, but something needs to be done soon or my kids will not be able to enjoy fishing like I have. :mad:

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Sounds like a really relaxing day out fishing there nocoho... sometimes it can definitely be one of those blood pumping sports.... Good for you though, for giving it to them! :thumbup:

·
Banned
1,355 Posts
I was out at the river the other day and a son asked his father "Dad do we have anymore treble hooks?". These methods are being taught to the next generation. I should have said something to him but I did not. I picked up alot of used line and gear while on the stave last week and it was huge barbed hooks and line that was like cable. I don't understand why this form of fishing is not made illegal or at least put a restriction on the length of leader. I really enjoy fishing but going to the river and watching people snag fish and bonk them makes me sick. I dont know what the solution is, but something needs to be done soon or my kids will not be able to enjoy fishing like I have. :mad:
This is why i no longer fish the Ved during salmon season,sounds like its getting worse with every passing yr.Saddens me to read about it almost as much as when i used to see witness it first hand.Just not worth the aggravation.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Agreed Dennis, I tried it twice this year and gave up and went back up to the interior for trout this fall.

If you couldn't have cut the hook like you wanted, I would have just grabbed my pliers and pinched the barb off for him and said you are welcome. We have undercover cops, maybe one day the government will be able to afford undercover CO's?

·
Registered
260 Posts
The Fraser was patrolled by several plain clothes COs this Sockeye season resulting in fines issued to hundreds of offenders. But no, there still aren't enough of them around when you need them. I'm not sure if i agree that the answer is to give up your fishing on rivers with high fishing pressure though. Politely educate. If that fails, and admittedly it often does, then discretely get pics and license plate #'s and call or email in a report to the RAPP line.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Three types of fishermen/women

People who know
People who don`t know
People who don`t care

We can do something about those that don`t know, sadly, we can`t do much about those that don`t care aside from call the authorities and hope for the best.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
We can do something about those that don`t know, sadly, we can`t do much about those that don`t care aside from call the authorities and hope for the best.
Precisely, I had to explain to couple of people that they were targeting spawners (on the shallow water reds) and that they shouldn't even walk in that particular area let alone fish it.
They had no Idea.

Fished another area were well seasoned waders adorned efficient anglers with long leaders and parralel floats across the river (where no real landing areas existed) read: rock dragging, fl......

Sad part is they'll read these posts and chuckle wondering why it's such a big deal.
There maybe 3 or more kinds of fishers but there most certainly is more than 1 type of ignorance.

·
Retired Administrator
4,447 Posts
Who has more responsibilty for stopping the spread of what some have termed the spreading of the Fraser River sockeye technique disease onto other systems?

Those that condone, participate and even promote the sockeye flossery? Some members here have been vocal about that and have said the fishery is what it is and it's no big deal as long as they have a few fish for the freezer or smoker to enjoy with their family. These folks continue to support it and then complain about it happening on the Vedder or other systems?

Or those who at every opportunity try to say something to discourage it?

In light of what we're seeing and hearing about, I'd say we all have a responsibilty to do our part, but if you complain about sockeye techniques on other systems, then what can you do to help?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am a relatively new fisherman to Salmon fishing even though I have been fishing here for a few years. I have learned much from talking to people who are more than willing to share and pass on the proper fishing techniques to newbies like me. I have also experienced so much frustration this year with people who are just simply uncaring and selfish! I have had the opportunity to fish the Vedder a few times and have left some of the areas mentioned and gone to less productive waters just to have a day where my blood did not have to boil. Recently I was fishing the Alouette in Maple Ridge and I had a beautiful spring on my line and was fighting it and one of these guys who have now made their way there to slaughter the fish and take more than they should from this fishery, threw his line across mine and snagged it and broke off the spring. As I hauled in my line I took one look at his line that had a HUGE bouncing betty on it and the hook was at least 2 1/2 inches long... barb on... and 100 lb braid and no float... I had to cut all my line cause I would've been there for hours trying to untangle the mess made by the giant weight and huge hook. When will people learn that they are destroying the fishery for the future generations... I am deeply saddened by the comment about the treble hook and the young boy... people like that need a fish bonker slap upside the melon... might hopefully knock some sense into them! COME ON DAD... teach them the right way they should go!

·
Registered
251 Posts
Who has more responsibilty for stopping the spread of what some have termed the spreading of the Fraser River sockeye technique disease onto other systems?

Those that condone, participate and even promote the sockeye flossery? Some members here have been vocal about that and have said the fishery is what it is and it's no big deal as long as they have a few fish for the freezer or smoker to enjoy with their family. These folks continue to support it and then complain about it happening on the Vedder or other systems?

In light of what we're seeing and hearing about, I'd say we all have a responsibilty to do our part, but if you complain about sockeye techniques on other systems, then what can you do to help?

I am one of those people who took part in the sockeye harvest a few times, had no need to fill the freezer (which is basically empty now). My perception is that the technique was created within a loophole in the regulations, to catch fish in conditions that are typically damn near impossible to catch anything. Nothing has been done by MOE or DFO to address the situation, you know when the PSC allows the public non-tidal sockeye harvest that the Canadian Tire specials are going to get dusted off and the idiots are going to come out of the woodwork.

Where the ultimate factor comes into play is that the fish in the Vedder (in this situation) are willing biters, there is no need to use harvesting techniques in a fishing situation.

Big Green Machine, you say what can you do to help? Educate and advocate change. Make the flossing issue black and white by putting provincial leader restrictions on rivers. Yeah I know alot of you are going to say you can still floss with 3 foot leaders blah blah blah, but it does make it alot harder to do, especially for the beginner angler. In Alaska, residents are allowed to net salmon in certain situations for personal sustenance same as FN in BC, make the sockeye fishery a personal sustenance harvest in BC by allowing the use of long leaders only during sockeye fisheries.

I always follow the rule that the squeaky wheel gets the grease, stand up and advocate change to make harvesting techniques just as illegal as snagging, except for designated sockeye fisheries. Think of the thousands of additional license sales during sockeye season, allocate a percentage of this money for increased enforcement or create a Fraser River sockeye stamp in addition to the non-tidal salmon stamp. Allocate the needed funds to educate the novice angler that the technique they are using is for harvesting and not fishing, and should be used only during authorized harvest fisheries.

·
Registered
261 Posts

Be friendly, and make "sincere" small talk with the fellow for a few minutes if possible.

See if he responds back to you in a friendly manner...

Win him over with interest and kindness.

You have to be sincere in this attempt. (We all can spot a phony bugger within mere seconds)

Be sincerely interested in them ( not YOU ) and their ways, and make sure to "listen" to what they say, and be kind in your reply's

Sadly, not everyone has the personality to do this, even if they try hard.

The " I know better " attitude will not work.

Being excited about what " you just learned " ( no matter when you learned it )

With kind of a controlled fun, excited kindness, explain what you are going to do.

Tell em, try it, you'll like it. Give em a wink and a nod.

Smile and move on...

You will not be able to do this with everyone as we all know.

But with a little bit of fun talk ahead of of time..

(You'll be able to tell if you kinda like each other or not.)

If you cannot develope a good feeling, STFU and get on your way.

If they like you, they will listen with open ears and eyes.

You gotta have personality, and a big heart. ;)

·
Registered
125 Posts
Reminds me of my recent fun in with a few guys bottom bouncing up near the prison camp. i noticed what was going on and continued on and went above them to fish so i wasn't being tanlged into every other cast. After seeing them hook into over a dozen fish and break off on almost everyone, and the ones they didnt they had them hooked in the wrong end of the fish. I hooked into a rather healthy looking spring and was walking down and one of the guys asked me how im able to keep landing these fish above them (they seen me hook and land over a dozen) then asked if i was running 100lb leader, lol. When the spring was tired and started coming in they watched me ever so gently tail the fish slip the hook out and spend a few minutes revivng her to ensure she was ok to swim away and then let her go. They asked why i didnt just drag it onto shore rather then attempt to grab the tail. I explained that you should only EVER bring a fish onto shore once u have identified it and have made the choice to keep it, thats the only time you should ever bring a fish to shore and or pick it up out of the water. i said well... if we want to have fish in the future and be able to have amazing days like some do then we need to protect our resources and treat every fish as gentle as possible, (even if it is a big ol boot). I then had a good chat with the guys, showed them that i was not using 100lb leader and i have 10lb main and run 8lb leader with a #4 hook, they were blown away with how i could land these 20lb springs on such light gear. i explaind to them that these fish will bite and you don't need to floss them. And when the water was as clear as it was to use lighter gear and make sure your knots are good and to keep checking your leader and main for any nicks or bad spots. Within a few minutes each of them was changing their set-up and after about 15 casts the one guy hooked a nice jack coho and as i was watching he brought it close to shore had his friend look to see if it was wild or not and then after seeing the fin clipped he pulled it to shore, right away he turned around and said thank you for the advice and lessons. Right away he said he noticed the difference on how much easier it was to land and guide the fish in when it was hooked in the mouth. For the rest of the aternoon we fished together and they hooked and landed several fish and said it was their best day ever for actually getting them to shore. Just goes to show that if you are kind and spend some time explainging things some people will take the advice in and use it. Seen the same fellows there the other day and noticed, lighter gear, floats, short leaders and small hooks, and to boot.... 2 chrome hatchery coho's on shore :)

·
Registered
261 Posts
Gone Fishin.

Just perfect.

It doesn't get any better than that my friend.

Personality, Heart, Kindness, and "Timing".

It just kinda happens naturally.

You can't force it, it just flows with the river.

Thats how it's done.

... We'll slay em one at a time. :cheers:

Thanx.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I agree. I fished the Vedder and Chehalis for about 8 years, fishing by all the rules and regulations of the river, this included never snagging. Because i fished with proper gear and the fact that I dont even eat salmon, I have been lucky enough to release each fish that I caught. When the fish are caught right, released properly, we leave the river better for our future generations.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts