BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about barfishing this weekend and just have a couple of questions about what to expect. With respect to techniques, as we get later and later in the season is it worth trying a greater variety of Spin n glos? I have generally used the standard green or red top with chrome, but have heard that some people spice it up with different colours and sizes in the fall for greater success. Any opinions on this?

Also, what do I expect to see the most of at this time of year when fishing somewhere between Grassy and the Harrison? Adult red springs? Adult white springs? Jacks?

Cheers

·
Registered
24 Posts
It's been spotty this week but can be very good still.. The bulk will be white springs with the odd red, but the chum are just starting as well as the coho. There are different techniques to specifically target the coho, but you'll still get some on just the regular rig.. and can't use bait yet. I don't personally think it matters too much if you switch up the spin n glo as being in "the zone" with your rig is 90% of seeing success.

The greatest benefit to the Fraser this time of year is the ability to have a stretch of beach to yourself AND still have some great fishing days!

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
imfishing said:
The bulk will be white springs with the odd red, but the chum are just starting as well as the coho. There are different techniques to specifically target the coho, but you'll still get some on just the regular rig.. and can't use bait yet.
Here is the fisheries notice on what you can and cannot specifically target in the Fraser right now Sir Snag-a-lot,

Category(s): RECREATIONAL - Salmon

Subject: FN0641-Salmon: Area 29 and Region 2 - Management Measures to Protect Thompson and Upper Fraser River Coho

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following measures will be implemented to protect Thompson and upper Fraser
River coho and to provide selective opportunities for Chinook and chum.

Fraser River - above Mission

Effective 00:01 hours Thursday, September 4, 2008 to 23:59 hours Monday,
October 6, 2008, in the non-tidal waters of the Fraser River, from the CPR
Bridge at Mission, BC upstream to a line drawn between two triangular white
boundary signs located on opposite sides of the Fraser River approximately 3 km
upstream of the confluence with the Harrison River (downstream of Jesperson's
Bar):

You may not fish for coho salmon.
You may not fish for sockeye salmon.
You may not use bait when fishing for salmon.

You may selectively fish for the following species:

- Chinook salmon, the daily limit is four (4) per day, only one of which may
exceed 62 cm.
- Chum salmon, the daily limit is two (2) per day.

Note: An "adult chinook" in this area is defined as being over 50 cm except
from September 1 to December 31 when an "adult chinook" is defined as being
over 62 cm.

During this critical migration timing for Interior Fraser coho, the
recreational community is requested to fish selectively when fishing for
chinook and chum. The first principle of selective harvest is to avoid
catching non-targeted stocks. This means that anglers are requested to use
angling methods that do not catch sockeye or coho.

Sir Snag-a-lot, try using size 2 spin n glos now that the river has cleaned up somewhat. Blues, greens are good colors and will have a better chance at not targetting closed species. Good Luck out there

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses guys. The forecast for Sunday is good so it'll just be nice to enjoy an early fall day on the river. If I could get some fishy action that would be even better!

Are the early season chums pretty coloured once they reach that part of the river, or are they reasonably clean?

·
Registered
67 Posts
I am heading out to Island 22 tomorrow for my 7th time this year to bar fish. So far we have had lots of hits and no fish landed! I REALLY hope to land a Spring tomorrow. Anyone go out today (Saturday)? and have any luck? I suppose smaller spin-n-glos will be the ticket?

Thanks!

Chris

·
Registered
76 Posts
Sir Snag-a-lot said:
Are the early season chums pretty coloured once they reach that part of the river, or are they reasonably clean?
last year when I was fishing the mouth of the chehalis (harrison River) at around this time of year all the chums that we caught were dead or dying...I don't know what it was about...just my :2cents:
cheers :cheers:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.