BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am very new to the area as i've said before but i am wondering where the fishing is better at the moment the fraser or the vedder?? Pegleg is almost out my backdoor but the river is still high so i have been thinking of trying the vedder for a while. I could use all the tips i can get as im new to fishing for salmon. I went and got a good bar rod a couple weeks ago and want to get my line in the water.

·
Banned
2,859 Posts
if you only have a bar rod you may want to stick to the Fraser HOWEVER if you go to the Vedder I would definately try the lower end and yes i mean sticking out the ole' spin'n'glows and waiting

i was out one day stealheading and a guy was doing this in low water conditions and he hit 3 in about half hour :) you could do quite well

if you have a drift rod then i would try anywhere in the Vedder as the sustem is smaller and with the water clearing the fishing is getting better everyday

tight lines

HOOK

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
yes, what hook said...

I'll add a bit though. If you're going to try and "plunk" the vedder, (bar fish), set yourself up in one of the "lanes" the fish travel in the canal. There are deeper slots next to shore along most of it, and it switches sides a couple times, but if you do some legwork you should be able to find the mainflow and a spot or two to plunk your gear...

·
Registered
135 Posts
I've often wondered how a bar setup would work on the Vedder. I haven't seen the river in a few months but from what I understand it's sitting around 2ft vis most days. Which is definitly more than adequate to bar fish the fraser so why not the vedder. I'm not just talking about the canal, but what would stop someone from tossing that setup out into a slower moving fish holding pool such as the Allison Pools. Does any one have any first hand experience with this?

·
Registered
92 Posts
During the higher water in years past we used to do pretty darn good at the beginning of the season with bar rigs on the Vedder.

The hot spots for us used to be at the end of the road that used to take you just above the train bridge. The other place was just below the #1 overpass. When there was a deep slot under the power lines just above Keith Wilson bridge we used to hit Springs but were never able to bring one in there - always lost them as they went downstream under the bridge. That sure was a hot spot for steehead as well when the slot was deep.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well went to the vedder today went up by the hatchery because i heard they were landing some fish there. And yes, they were, i witnessed 3 nice size reds come out and taken away and saw another half a dozen lost. As for myself i still think my technique needs some work. I was float drifting as i saw that was how they were being caught but had a hard time keeping any roe on a hook :confused: all in all was a good day on the river the spot was a lil too busy for my liking but thats where the fish were. Saw quite a few jumping kept targeting but to no avail. May try again tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
roscoe-pco said:
Up there everyone eventually snags a fish, fish down below and you may get one to actually bite.
Sorry to say but I'd like to see the NO-FISHING boundary further down river.
Where? Cement slab? Ranger? Could you imagine the crowd that would fit in there! I think the fishing boundry is fine, its the technique that needs to be changed. If youre setting at the end of EVERY drift youre trying to snag, wheres the CO with his ticket book?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Went again on saturday and was even more people crowding that spot do not think i will go there anymore way too many people fighting for a spot. Lines getting tangled all day and yes there was some bottom bouncing and i did see more than one fish get snagged in the back. The DFO guys were there briefly checked a few licences and left, didnt see any tickets go out though. Quite interesting to see how many lines dropped back in the water once they left :confused: There were a few caught there again so i may check one more time on a weekday to see if the spot is as crowded, if so i am moving down river.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
bb is ok, just not with a 6ft leader. fish will bite if u bb properly and dont swing the presentation. i've done it, and americans do it and i dont think that were snagging fish at all. short leader and a slinky. roe or spin'n glows. we BC float fisherman are stuborn but can be changed

·
Registered
956 Posts
young gun said:
bb is ok, just not with a 6ft leader. fish will bite if u bb properly and dont swing the presentation. i've done it, and americans do it and i dont think that were snagging fish at all. short leader and a slinky. roe or spin'n glows. we BC float fisherman are stuborn but can be changed
yes, "we" Americans do it, but if your leader lengths are excessive even down here, it can still be snagging or flossing.

As a general rule, the leaders are 18"-24". The weight lightly ticks bottom every 15-20 feet or so. Not dragging the bottom. For steelhead, depending on what water is like, you can slow drift a pink worm, roe or sand shrimp with and without a spin-n-glo, rather effectively. For salmon, I have had great success with drifting short leaders with roe and sandshrimp with a spin-n-glo thru very deep holes.

Also, we boondog or sidedrift several rivers down here. Which you point the bow up your boat upstream and cast upstream at a 45 degree angle, roughly. Then let the boat slowly drift downstream as your bait slowly ticks along the bottom while maintaining the same line angles, covering the most water as possible with everyone in the boat. This is a VERY effective method for covering a lot of water via boat and the fish HAMMER your offering as it drifts along naturally. I can't even think of the last time we or anyone I know has snagged a fish with this technique.

It is all in how you are fishing your method. Are you "fishing" your method or are you setting the hook at the end of every drift? I would say that nearly every method could be used to "snag" fish if someone intended on snagging fish. I think that you just have to decide how you want to fish and feel good about it at the end of the day.

The Vedder right now has some fish but you will have to work pretty hard to find them. There are fresher fish moving through the Fraser right now, but with the elevated flows, bar availability is rather limited. Find a nice bar and plant yourself and hope for the best! :thumbup:

·
Registered
694 Posts
Saw one hooked last night on the Fraser around in the Chilliwack bar system. The water is coming down, but definately isn't ideal yet. But hey that's fishing :cheers:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.