BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

· Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sure was crappy today and yesterday on Wellington bar. Fished from 9am to 7pm yesterday and 9 to 3 today. Only saw one Spring caught over the two days and strangely enough I hooked 3 nice Socks on the Spin n' glos. Seems like it was slow all over the river.

· Registered
1,437 Posts
What part of Wellington Bar? What size of hook? What color Spin 'n' Glow? Were you Bar Fishing?

My buddy, his wife, and I were there almost all weekend ........... Friday night 6:00 PM until Monday 2:00 PM. We Bar Fished Spin 'n' Glows with 4-O and 5-O hooks on 20" - 26" leaders. Only saw 3 Springs caught all weekend ......... NO SOCKS.

I want to know because I've haven't caught 3 Socks Barfishing (with Spring Sized gear) ......... and crap .......... I've been Bar Fishing for about 40 years.

GOFISH 8)

· Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We were the very top boat. Three rods in the water. We were barfishing using the standard red tops and green tops, 5 0 hooks and probably about 20" leaders. The three Socks were caught yesterday, and by extreme surprise. There was a guy next to us yesterday who brought in a belly hooked Sock as well so that makes 4 total. Yesterday we were down a little closer to the middle of the bar but today we were at the very top.

· Registered
1,386 Posts
Though it is very rare, I have heard of a few people catching socks on the bar rigs. Right eimaj!m Plus I have talked to a few other credible people who have caught sockeye on Bar rigs.

Socks don't bite.....lets look at this for a moment. People catch sockeye all the time without snagging them, in the Fraser well thats a different story. When the socks enter the Fraser they are adjusting to life in freshwater. During this adjustment period, no they don't bite. However, if a sock was to adjust before it reaches it's home stream why wouldn't it bite like any other salmon? I personally don't think it is all that unheard of someone actually catching a sock on Bar gear.

I myself was out on Monday, started at Jesperson's and went up to Spaghetti. Below the bridge were all Bar fishers (from what I could see, a few BBer's around) but up at Spaghetti was all BBing. I found a nice sized slot to pull the boat in and throw out the bar rods. The whole day I only saw 1 sockeye caught at spaghetti, and one boat chase down a sturgie (must have been a nice size as they went almost down to Peg).
For me and my dad, well it was a slow day....very slow. We did have a hit in the morning (most likely something ran into our lines though as it was very short lived). Finished off the day fishing for sturgies.....with no luck there either. My dad has a fishing curse, everytime he has joined me on the mighty flow we leave skunked....I told him next time we go out it will be with a guide. This way I can put his luck to the test. If we don't catch anything with the guide then it is him. If we do, then I guess it's me ;D

· Registered
606 Posts
Had one sock last week take the spin and glow....Inside the tip of its mouth....When we got the fish to the boat I was left scratching my head as I am in the same boat as others here,never had a sock take a Bar rig in 25 years fishing the Fraser.With all the strange things happening lately, I'm almost ready to believe anything happening these days......
The line was cast out the rear of the boat and in the rear rod holder,5/0 hook and large spinn' glo......
I was at a loss to explain how a sock would chomp on the big spin and glo.. :confused: I told my son it must have been a teenaged sock as most teens have big mouths,,that got suitable retorts from my son.. :happy:
It was a large sock,very silver and a few sea lice still on it,,,released with ease while still in the water beside the boat and it soaked us with a quick tail slap.. :thumbup:

· Registered
1,160 Posts
Socks bite in the Ocean(quite well I might add and the limit is usually 4).
They bite in the Fraser, now I'm not talking spin n glos here as obviously socks will only take those on rare occassions. I have had numerous socks attack Kwikfish and spinners in the Fraser and last year had one pounce on a glob of roe back bounced for Chinooks.
With further experimentation I am positive that we could come up with a lure/bait that would take socks, most likely representing or incorperating shrimp or squid or an imitation of them.

In clear water I take them with ease and they are actually very aggressive, try jigs :thumbup:, cured prawns :thumbup:, or often small spinners. They take flies pretty readily as well, especially jig style flies under an indicator, Ok thats cheating. Getting them to chase flies when there chrome can be challenging but definately happens frequently.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.