BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am fairly new to viewing the website and I must say that there is a lot of good, helpful information on it( although also a lot of fluff). I went out this Saturday with a couple of friends on their boat. This is my first experience fishing this river.

We put in on island 22 and fished several bars( can't remember one from the other). It seems most people were catching sockeye bottom bouncing. We also caught sockeye and hooked one spring. We put in at 1:00 pm and left at 8:00pm.

The fish seemed to run through each hole in waves without holding in an area for too long. Time of day did not seem to matter too much.

I hope this info is helpful to someone.

P.S.- someone landed a 12 foot sturgeon today. The fish counter at Island 22 took a picture on her cell phone and showed it to us. It was an awesome fish. I am happy to say that it was released unharmed. I would hate to see a fish 100 years old killed either accidently or for the table( I know you can't legally keep it, but that doesn't stop some people).

· Registered
517 Posts
moro said:
Hello, I am fairly new to viewing the website and I must say that there is a lot of good, helpful information on it( although also a lot of fluff). I went out this Saturday with a couple of friends on their boat. This is my first experience fishing this river.

We put in on island 22 and fished several bars( can't remember one from the other). It seems most people were catching sockeye bottom bouncing. We also caught sockeye and hooked one spring. We put in at 1:00 pm and left at 8:00pm.

The fish seemed to run through each hole in waves without holding in an area for too long. Time of day did not seem to matter too much.

I hope this info is helpful to someone.

P.S.- someone landed a 12 foot sturgeon today. The fish counter at Island 22 took a picture on her cell phone and showed it to us. It was an awesome fish. I am happy to say that it was released unharmed. I would hate to see a fish 100 years old killed either accidently or for the table( I know you can't legally keep it, but that doesn't stop some people).
Thanks for the report moro. Although I do not go fishing in the fraser, I am sure there are a lot of people doing it. So, definitely your report is useful to others. When you get 20 post you can actually see the reports section at the bottom of the home forum page, and then you can add your report there (and read the so many others). They are divided by regions and they are very helpful.

:beerchug:

Giuseppe

· Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, there are fish counter people at island 22, but it is very friendly. They only ask how many fish you caught that day and where you were fishing. It's not like they take a tape measure and check each fish you caught.

· Registered
86 Posts
At least they are making some kind of an attemp at seeing what is being taken out of the River. Privot or not maybe they help in the long run with the statistics?? Anyone ever seen the DFO fine someone on site for over fishing?? Lots of people do it unfortunatley. Any thoughts

· Registered
26 Posts
I've never seen a fine for over fishing but this past weekend they searched the trucks and campsites of a group of fishermen at scale bar. One guy also got a fine for not having his barb pinched sufficiently. However the counter was quite friendly and easy going.

· Registered
517 Posts
Flinch said:
I've never seen a fine for over fishing but this past weekend they searched the trucks and campsites of a group of fishermen at scale bar. One guy also got a fine for not having his barb pinched sufficiently. However the counter was quite friendly and easy going.
I am wondering what is a sufficient pinched? I usually pass my finger on it and if it doesn't stock I assume it is ok. Is this correct?

Giuseppe

ps: I had my car checked once too this year.

· Registered
517 Posts
barskull said:
HOOK said:
buying barbless hooks works best O0 but if your worried about your barb just file it off.
Just use your needlenose pliers that u carry in your vest and pinch them, HARD
that's what I do. anyway, they must be quite nasty to give you a fine after judging that the pinch was not enough, unless it is clear that you left it high on purpose.

· Registered
1,461 Posts
Giuseppe said:
Flinch said:
I am wondering what is a sufficient pinched? I usually pass my finger on it and if it doesn't stock I assume it is ok. Is this correct?

Giuseppe

They usually do the sweater test. Where they take the hook and poke it into their sweater or other piece of fabric. If it comes out easily its good to go.

· Registered
517 Posts
Shane said:
Giuseppe said:
Flinch said:

Giuseppe

They usually do the sweater test. Where they take the hook and poke it into their sweater or other piece of fabric. If it comes out easily its good to go.
Thanks Shane. Good to know. I didn't know about this test. That's what I will do now.

· Banned
2,854 Posts
even with a well pinched barb it can still get stuck in cloth as the barb gets "curled" over but is still pinched well enough. i like to try to get the barb to "snap off" when pinching. it works great on fly hooks but not so much on the hooks we use in rivers. So spending a couple bucks more on hooks made barbless is the best bet.

· Registered
787 Posts
HOOK said:
even with a well pinched barb it can still get stuck in cloth as the barb gets "curled" over but is still pinched well enough. i like to try to get the barb to "snap off" when pinching. it works great on fly hooks but not so much on the hooks we use in rivers. So spending a couple bucks more on hooks made barbless is the best bet.
I was at Army and Navy this afternoon 25 pack (Value Pack) #1 Gammy barbless hooks $9.99

· Registered
517 Posts
FishFreak said:
HOOK said:
I was at Army and Navy this afternoon 25 pack (Value Pack) #1 Gammy barbless hooks $9.99
it makes sense, instead of being worried about it..

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.