BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys. Anyone know where me and some of my buddies can purchase some fresh salmon roe for sturgeon fishing? I've looked on the Internet and the prices are unbelievable!!! I'm not that much into salmon fishing/snagging/flossing so if anyone can point
us in the right direction I'd be more than grateful...I'd maybe even send you some terminal tackle ;)

And I got a give a big shout out to my buddy for taking not one, but TWO nice Sturg on the 12 wt! Check his SMILES!!!

You the man C!

Clays sturgeon 3.jpg Clays sturgeon 2.jpg

Infact, check him land this baby his youtube channel!

http://www.youtube.com/user/BCOnTheFly

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks alot Daumzilla! I'll get on it today!

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
So how long does it take you to bring in a sturgeon of that size, with one of those reels?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not sure fishnfvr...I haven't been there for the captures yet :(

But I'm not so sure it's about the reel's cranking power, it's more about the anglers skill, distance being fished from shore, target size etc.

He's using fairly stout tackle for the target size of fish. 3/400yds 100lb braid, 9ft 12wt rod and a 4 1/2" mooching reel.

Not the usual 'hook,hoik and drag' gear I've seen used most often. Think the size of fish we are after and the gear complements themselves. Always the question of 'what if you hok a big one'. I think that's always the question whatever species you fish for whenpotentialy huge fish are in the waterway you're angling.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Hey guys. Anyone know where me and some of my buddies can purchase some fresh salmon roe for sturgeon fishing? I've looked on the Internet and the prices are unbelievable!!!
Wholesale Sports in Langley had some the last time I was there. I'm sure it's not as cheap as Steveson -- probably $5 for a small container -- but it'd do if you're in the area and in a pinch.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
allofthisforyou: I'll check them out too.

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Wow, nice fish Clay! Good job. I agree with Daumzilla. Just buy them at Steveston Villege if you want to use them for bait.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Tell the dude behind the shades to ask his brother.I do believe we had a whack of uncured roe from last year?

·
Retired Administrator
4,447 Posts
Is it OK to bring the Sturgies onto the dock? My guess is that smaller ones would not be harmed, and they do it all the time in the upper Fraser. Would be interesting to see a biggie landed in that location!

·
Registered
483 Posts
I would not even consider taking any bigger then that out of the water.The good thing about that dock is that its low to the water.

·
Registered
66 Posts
you dont have to go flossing, but if you go to where there are a bunch of guys flossing, ask them for the roe that is inside. or volunteer to clean the fish to get the roe. You can get as much as you can carry in a short time.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Rantalot, I was under the impression that fresh, uncured and unfrozen roe is best.

silver 33..is that 'legal'?

·
Registered
168 Posts

is that 'legal'?[/QUOTE]

You think it is illegal me clean your fish guts/roe and take em insted of throwing them around? C'mon

·
Registered
136 Posts
Actually, you DO have to be aware of how MUCH roe you have. I *believe* you have a limit as to how much fresh roe you are allowed in your possession (by weight), similar to salmon limits when you go fishing. FYI.

Tex - not sure how much that limit actually is, cause he doesn't use roe often...

·
Registered
483 Posts
You can only have so much uncured roe on you,im not sure of the amount but you might want to check?As for the roe as long as its not freezer burnt or has been in the freezer for 5 years then it will be fine.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
"You think it is illegal me clean your fish guts/roe and take em insted of throwing them around? C'mon"

Dude, what does that mean? I'm asking a legitimate question here. I play by the rules. I'm asking if it is illegal to take roe as 'payment' for cleaning someones catch, 'cus that's exactly what it is:peace:, not the ethical reasons behind it.

Rant and Tex, thanks for the heads up on the freezer/ five year thing and possession limits.

Here is is straight from the synopsise;

'Roe… you must not have more than 1 kg of roe (fish eggs) in your possession for use as bait unless the roe was obtained from a commercial source that lawfully obtained that roe, or you have in your possession the freshly dressed fish from which the roe in excess of 1 kg was taken. Carry a receipt with you if you purchased roe from a commercial source.'

·
Registered
168 Posts
Dude, I mean I use it for food. I'd rather give it to someone who eat it than trow it around and I believe it is absolutely ethical to keep fishing ground clean - not being trashed with rotten guts and roe around (Ive seen it alot). I've done it before I'll do it again :peace::thumbup:

...not the ethical reasons behind it.
[/QUOTE]

1 - 20 of 22 Posts