BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heard yesterday while talking to a tug boat operator we know on the Fraser that the Fraser rose 2 feet Friday around Prince George. Looks like the big thaw is finally starting. If you plan on fishing the big muddy its that time of the year where you keep looking up river watching for trees. Lots of flotsam and jetsam in the river right now but watch out of the the big stuff.

·
Premium Member
3,732 Posts
So true bill, I've seen docks, watertowers, parts of bridges and even small islands make it's
way down to the delta. The debris traps between Chilliwack and Hope are impressive with the
amount they collect.

:beerchug: Marko

·
Premium Member
3,732 Posts
Most heavey objects find there way into a deep hole then thats it unless its excavated out. Large floating
material do pose a substantial hazard to river traffic and can be lodged on the bottom just bellow the
surface. I've seen markers such as old juice containers tied to these by frequent users.

:beerchug: Marko

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
FishFreak said:
I have heard of logs traveling under the waters surface and hitting the rope on anchored boats.. I think that would make for an intresting situation
I've been told the same thing by a boater while out for sturgeon, and that it sunk a 23' jet boat in the matter of seconds.

·
Registered
612 Posts
I always have a knife in a sheath which is permanently attached to my windshield frame. That makes it one quick step to grab and slash the anchor line..If your boat starts getting pulled under, just cut the line ,don't waste time trying to figure out whats pulling you under..I don't use that knife for anything else,its strictly for cutting the anchor line..

·
Banned
2,859 Posts
that better be one big thick sharp ass knife Abby :thumbup: cause you guys ain't using no pussy little lake ropes on your fraser anchors :beerchug: not to mention in the panic of being pulled under you might snap a thinner knife :wallbash: and then your screwed :wallbash:

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
HOOK said:
that better be one big thick sharp ass knife Abby :thumbup: cause you guys ain't using no pussy little lake ropes on your fraser anchors :beerchug: not to mention in the panic of being pulled under you might snap a thinner knife :wallbash: and then your screwed :wallbash:
To pull a boat under like that would put the rope under a lot of tension, any knife would probably cut it like butter.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Friday I was on the Harrison and it has come up alot, looking more like it should be for this time of year :thumbup:

Also we were in the interior over the weekend and is was 20 plus degrees absolutely beautiful! Yup the freshette will be coming for sure. Thank goodness, what a crazy low water winter that was!

·
Registered
587 Posts
I have had a tree and net combo come down and tangle in the anchor line and winch! long story short, make sure those of you with winches DO NOT TIE THEM OFF! If the are tied off the cluch will slip until the rope tightens and then you are hooped! Buddy I was with tried to lift the anchor when I was cutting the net off ( bad idea BTW) and ended up with a lot more work. these trees were about 30 to 40 ft long and about ten inches to a foot through, complete with root ball and leaves and 75' of six inch net wrapped up in it. It tugged the bow down until the anchor lifted and we started to float, I dragged the anchor up by hand and we went to shore to clean up the mess. If that happens take the stuff out of the river (we took the net back and gave it to the DFO) If that had been in the middle of the river and someone hit that while driving or got tangled in the line of someone who was not in deep slow water I don't want to imagine what could have happened. Be careful and BE PREPAIRED for anything....all those sandbars that were out are now under water and not by much yet, just ask the bottom of my boat! :happy: :wallbash:

·
Registered
151 Posts
Heh, I heard about that one Steve! ;)

Cheers,
Nicole

·
Registered
587 Posts
I didn't think I hit hard enough to be heard! :thumbup:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.