BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Want to hear you stories.I`ll put one on here.
Was fishing at a high elevation lake,few cast and small fish hooked i reel slowly and all of a sudden my reel starts screaming for a few seconds before snapping my 6 lb line.I told my buddy that it might have been a laker. Never knew what it was.

Trout,:cheers:

·
Registered
449 Posts
Fishing Mabel lk with a buddy of mine when his rod tip slowly went down. Then up to normal position. Then down and a violent shake. Popped off the release and when it was brought in there was nothing but an eyeball the size of a toonie.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Loon took your small fish?

Want to hear you stories.I`ll put one on here.
Was fishing at a high elevation lake,few cast and small fish hooked i reel slowly and all of a sudden my reel starts screaming for a few seconds before snapping my 6 lb line.I told my buddy that it might have been a laker. Never knew what it was.

Trout,:cheers:

·
Registered
213 Posts
Took a buddy to tunkwa lake for a stag/fishing trip, we made him use a 2 foot Dora the explorer rod the whole weekend, and he ended up catching a 5 lbs trout with it, the funny part was after fighting the fish for 10 mins ( drag not very strong) lol he finally passed off the rod and jumped in the lake and netted the fish, lol we couldn't believe he actually was able to get it. The rod has now been retired. Lol

·
Retired Administrator
4,447 Posts
Caught a rod that I had lost at the bottom of a lake, from two years prior. Put the rod in the canoe and continued fishing with the rod I was using, then proceeded to tip the canoe and lose that rod as well as my backpack while trying to net a fish. Got back to shore with only one rod, no fish.

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
Lost my 15 hp outboard in Stave Lake in Sept in 40 ft of water. Came back in April and found it in 4 ft of water after diving for it a few times. Started 1st pull! Still have it.

My boss in the UK went fishing with his 9-yr old. They laid their rods down on the lake bank to eat their sandwiches. A trout jumped out of the water to take the wooly bugger two feet in the air on the kid's rod. It dragged the whole outfit into the water and across the lake. They ran round the lake and the kid grabbed the rod in the shallows and landed a 9 1/2lb rainbow. His dad was choked and elated at the same time.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Of all the steelhead I caught in the Thompson, one of my favourites is the one of the ones that "got away". Just at last light and fishing the town side of the hotel run, the Sun was setting and a glare on the water downstream was very intense. I hooked into a really good one and watched it peel off line from my reel and create many dark spots in the glare on the horizon as it jumped and ran its way back to the fraser river. It never stopped, and even long after it had broke off at the leader about 100 yards downstream, it continued to jump and run making smaller splashes further into the sunset. Even after I could no longer see it in the glare, I could hear it jumping and splashing. Not the biggest of the fish I have hooked on the T but a great one one none-the-less. Its one of my many memories of that great river in the 90's. I don't fish it anymore since the run was destroyed. I really do miss the Thompson.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
In the early 90's I was fishing the Thompson up at martel with 3 other buddies. We really pounded the water and there was not a steelhead to be had. We all decided to walk downstream about 500 yards to the top of the three rapids. We also fished this area hard and if I remember correctly one of the guys got one decent fish. I gave up and walked back to martel and waited for everyone else to find their way back. While waiting, I decided to throw a few casts and hooked into a brute. I was just ready to land it when everyone had made their way back. Biggest steelie I have ever caught, it 42" long with a 24" girth. Measurements would have it at 31.5 lbs. I don't think it weighed that much, but it was a solid 27 and maybe more.

I miss the Thompson.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Threw a couple of casts into a pool on a local river and my lead caught a seam between two rocks. After trying several times to free the lead and my terminal tackle, I finally decided to break it off. Sooo I leaned on the rod a bit harder, and harder until the lead squeezed out from behind its prison and a beautiful 8lb. steelhead doe also came out from behind the rock with a nice piercing of lip jewellry fashioned by me. Got my gear back and a fish to boot!!...............Ortho

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Threw a couple of casts into a pool on a local river and my lead caught a seam between two rocks. After trying several times to free the lead and my terminal tackle, I finally decided to break it off. Sooo I leaned on the rod a bit harder, and harder until the lead squeezed out from behind its prison and a beautiful 8lb. steelhead doe also came out from behind the rock with a nice piercing of lip jewellry fashioned by me. Got my gear back and a fish to boot!!...............Ortho
That reminds me of a time I was fishing with two other guys on the Cheakamus (before the caustic spill). On eguy caught a nice steelhead about 10 lbs. and got a great battle out of it, but lost it as his line broke on the mainlilne side of the swivel. The other guy (an older and rather brash individual with a great sense of humour) said "Step aside rookie, I'll land that fish" and within 20 minutes he too had hooked into a nice steelhead. When he brought it to shore, we noticed he had not actually hooked the fish, but somehow had hooked the eye of the #10 barrel swivel that the previous angler had broke off on the same fish.

What are the chances of that?

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was watching people fish at the cable pool at 11;30.A guy bottom bouncing into a fish and im like no way he got a ho in the mouth at this time of dayso i keep watching him will his buddy goes down the deathsteps to land it and i see a his size 6 hook with orange wool in the eye of a huge treble on the side of the fish.they land it and take the hook out.It was a nice chrome 9-10lber.
That reminds me of a time I was fishing with two other guys on the Cheakamus (before the caustic spill). On eguy caught a nice steelhead about 10 lbs. and got a great battle out of it, but lost it as his line broke on the mainlilne side of the swivel. The other guy (an older and rather brash individual with a great sense of humour) said "Step aside rookie, I'll land that fish" and within 20 minutes he too had hooked into a nice steelhead. When he brought it to shore, we noticed he had not actually hooked the fish, but somehow had hooked the eye of the #10 barrel swivel that the previous angler had broke off on the same fish.

What are the chances of that?

·
Registered
593 Posts
I was fishing north of Cochrane Ontario at a fly in lake with Polar Bear Outfitters. My Dad and I were on the lake alone. I was out fishing while he was resting. A plane flew overhead and did a banked turn as if he was looking down at the lake possibly wanting to land. I hadn't seen anyone else for 4 or 5 days so I threw up the arm and gave the guy a big wave. THen I started thinking maybe they were hunters who wanted to drop in and start looking for moose to which I would not have been happy about because the outfitter had the soul rights to this lake. That, and the lake was quite small. Anyway the plane does a circle, and sure enough it landed and taxi'd right up to me. Door flings open, and its the game warden. "FIshing license please" Of course I didnt have it on me. It was 200 meters away in my wallet at camp. Then he sees the 18 beer in the bow, and mentions how I shouldnt have beer in the boat. I wasn't drinking, but we threw a bunch in at a time just so we had them. My jaw was damn near on the floor of the boat. I grew up fishing in Ontario. I fished there until I was about 25. I had never been checked there once, in fact the first time I was checked was on the Check in Squamish. I couldn't believe a plane landed to check out my license 150 miles from civilization (sp?). He gave me a citation, and I had to stop in at the office on the way through town and show the guy I had a license.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Back in the late 90's I was fishing for bull trout in Williston Lake a few days after open water started to show in the spring. Was casting an 8" five o diamonds right on the edge of the ice and dropping it into the water, burning it in at a real quick pace. After a couple cast hooked a real nice fish,maybe 20-24" long. This fish put up a nice fight for early season. As it got close to shore the fight got a lot more intense. There were at least 3 what looked like lake trout trying to make an easy meal out o the struggling fish. It was one of the most intense things I've seen in many years of fishing. Nothing but teeth and mouths thrashing. The bull trout didn't make it to shore.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts