BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
694 Posts
You can get a few different products made for this, but all they are really doing is trying to make the water bead off so it doesn't freeze up. The problem is as you pull tghe line through it rubs it off.

I've found they seem to work for the first bit, but in the end you always seem to have to dip the rod and give it a tap.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
I've had very limited success using Loon's Stanley's Ice-off Paste. I fished the Missouri River in Montana one winter when it got down to around -18-20*C, and there was no winning against the battle with the ice buildup. I just resigned myself to manually breaking off the ice chunks every few minutes. Fishing was pretty good even though I could stand it only a few minutes at a time. ;D

·
Registered
25 Posts
Ed Ward's answer on that for me (when I described how I lost the only legitimate actually on my line steelhead I've had in 2 years of trying for steelhead) was to do as mentioned above. Dip the rod guides in and out, wiggle a little, and that should get rid of most of it. It is not usually ever cold enough here to warrant more than that.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.