BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got back from 5 days in Port Hardy. The fishing was very good. We fished a total of 30 hours, without downriggers. WE used a variety of methods including the flyrods to land 4 beautiful springs in the 16-30 lb. range, 10-12 wild cohos, 4 hatchery coho, approx. 20 pinks, two huge lings and too many juvenile coho in the 10-15" range. There seems to be way more of these little guys than normal in the area. We had to pull up and relocate several times as you just could not keep them off your gear, no matter what you were using.
All the wild coho are still under protection measures in the area, so all were released including one hog that was a solid 15-16lbs. The fly fishing for the pinks on the open ocean was a lot of fun and over one two hr. period we caught 8 fish. Funny thing was, I caught them all on the small bead-head fly I use for coho. One male was 9 -10 lb. beauty.
Not a lot of boats in the area, and did not see a lot of BIG fish caught, although everyone caught fish.
The tri colour flasher and Christmas tree hootchie seemed to work well, but overall, most fish were caught on small cut plug. When we fished a whole herring, regardless of size, we seemed to catch a lot of small dogfish.
Anyway, a good trip and perfect weather!....Now I gotta work for two days before climbing on the bike and head up to Kelowna for a week........Life is tough!.........Ortho 8)

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Nice report Ortho ....... I guess sometimes it's hard to stand the pain of it all. :wink:

Goodluck,

GOFISH 8)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hey Ortho!

Sounds like you had an awesome trip. Did you notice many guys catching pinks on spin gear off the dock in town or on flies at the mouth of the Cluxewe? I am going up there on Wednesday for a couple of days with work and intend to throw my waders and fly gear in the truck for the evenings. Any reports would be great.

Brian

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Is there actually any water in the Cluxewe ...... last year when we were up there (1st of September) it was almost as dry as a bone. Would be hard to fish then if that was the case.

GOFISH 8)

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There is very little water in the Cluxewe or the Keough. If they get a big dump of rain, the fish will hit the rivers pretty fast, cause there is no shortage of fish hanging around....The inside waters of Hardy Bay are closed at present, and the Keough has a 400 meter closed area around the mouth. If you have a boat, you will do well on the fly gear. There are lots of wild and hatchery coho in the area at the present time, also...Ortho 8)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts