BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We fish with you once per year for a week on the river at Chilliwack, Agassiz. (for 6 plus years now). Love your country. I have to make some comments, know some do not want them from anyone down South. Over and over I read here all the good comments about, conservation, no BB till sockeye opening, snagging fish and on and on. Catching illegal fish. I do not understand.

In the South, you follow the rules or you will pay a few 100$ and the loss of all your hunting and fishing for a year, first time I am told. You want to try it again I hear of loss of property, gear, hunting and fishing, etc.

Not perfect here, but you do not mess with the Game and Fish Department here. What is so different in BC? Thanks Salt.

· Registered
504 Posts
Hey STS

The problem with our fish and game dept is pretty much the same as the rest of our Canadian justice system in that it has no teeth what so ever. If there is no real penalty for your indiscretion then there isn’t any fear of committing the crime. The second and probably the biggest problem in my opinion is the shear lack of enforcement. With all the government cut backs there just aren’t enough CO's to cover the vast amount of area.

I am not sure of when it all changed because I remember when I was a kid that violating the fish and game regs could cost you a hefty fine and the loss of your gear and your fishing or hunting privileges for the rest of the year or longer. But I think people in general had more respect for the rules back then...

Centerpin 8)

· Registered
3,378 Posts
Hey 'Salt.......Centerpin is correct..........The Federal and Provincial beaurcracy is interwoven with support groups. advocacy groups, and a lot of other people who are trying to define what is good for the country and the province...The bottom line is, there are no rules set out that will be followed directly and a suitable punishment handed out.....Oh, occaisionally, some idiot is charged with posessing illegal fish or game parts, or hunting or fishing out of season or with illegal methods, but the justice system is so backwards in BC that if you pospone your case long enough, you WILL get off. and that is a given...THe whole structure needs to be evaluated and some new systems put into place to not only protect the fish but to protect the fishers. It is only a matter of time before someone dies on the river.......Ortho 8)

· Retired staff
6,673 Posts
reelangler said:
Do we have any CO's or anyone from the government on this board?
reelangler, it is possible that members of these two groups you mention frequent our board, but please understand that it puts such people in an incredibly difficult position to stand alone on a public forum regarding the policies, criticisms or shortcomings of their organizations. Especially when their chosen profession could be on the line if things get out of hand on a public forum, based on what said public might perceive of the issue.

I think a safer and more appropriate way to get to the point I think you are trying to get at is to contact fisheries or gov't via email and clearly state what you are wanting to know. I have done it quite often actually, and recieved responses in relatively good time, well, not from the gov't though... Once you get a response then it would be reasonable to expect quoting a gov't agency and/or fisheries on a public forum is ok, and then you can present and explore the perspective I think you are trying to get at...

It is a good idea, we just have to pursue it more diplomatically...I hope you will give it a shot, and look forward to seeing what angle it takes us in this discussion, because this thread is one that is well worth going after...

In the end, We'll likely have to go to those who define the protocol fisheries is restricted by, which could be frustrating to say the least, but I think it is definitely something we should pursue...

rib

· Registered
909 Posts
South Texas,
Years ago it was similar to that up here if you were say caught snagging then first you lost all your gear on you if the offence was great enough then possibly your vehicle which got you to the site was impounded, and the fines and penalties started.
Your right things up here are some what of a joke right now, Even if a CO find you in violation, you still have a greater chance of walking away from it then paying a hefty fine. Like Ortho said delay it long enough and it will go away, which is really sad because there seems to be a whole new wave of fishers out there that have no regards to the regs or the fact they are in place to help sustain our resource. The Co's can only do so much, then when it gets higher up the food chain that's when things start to fall apart. Quite a shame here.
Crazy D :cheers:

· Registered
1,367 Posts
ribwart said:
reelangler said:
Do we have any CO's or anyone from the government on this board?
reelangler, it is possible that members of these two groups you mention frequent our board, but please understand that it puts such people in an incredibly difficult position to stand alone on a public forum regarding the policies, criticisms or shortcomings of their organizations. Especially when their chosen profession could be on the line if things get out of hand on a public forum, based on what said public might perceive of the issue.

I think a safer and more appropriate way to get to the point I think you are trying to get at is to contact fisheries or gov't via email and clearly state what you are wanting to know. I have done it quite often actually, and recieved responses in relatively good time, well, not from the gov't though... Once you get a response then it would be reasonable to expect quoting a gov't agency and/or fisheries on a public forum is ok, and then you can present and explore the perspective I think you are trying to get at...

It is a good idea, we just have to pursue it more diplomatically...I hope you will give it a shot, and look forward to seeing what angle it takes us in this discussion, because this thread is one that is well worth going after...

In the end, We'll likely have to go to those who define the protocol fisheries is restricted by, which could be frustrating to say the least, but I think it is definitely something we should pursue...

rib
The reason I was asking is because we have a lot of ideas and topics that would probably make this fishery stronger and healthier in the future. I hope there is a CO or member of the DFO on this board so they can read these ideas and maybe do something about them. I think it would be a great advantage to all of us and all fisherman for someone like this to be a member, or guest or whatever and read these threads, so maybe they could bring these ideas to the industry and maybe do something about all the problems we have in the way fisheries are managed, such as heavier penalties to violators. I know it isn't just me that feels this way, but something more serious has to be done to preserve and sustain such a wonderful resource.

· Registered
281 Posts
Crazy Drifter said:
Like Ortho said delay it long enough and it will go away, which is really sad because there seems to be a whole new wave of fishers out there that have no regards to the regs or the fact they are in place to help sustain our resource.
That's true Crazy Drifter.... This is one of the bigger reasons why I think that ALL rivers in the Lower mainland should, and one day WILL, even if it's 50 years down the line, be catch and release only. It would weed out the people who are in it for the wrong reasons. Not only would the river banks be less crowded, but the people who are left will be the ones who are truly passionate about the sport, and their environment.

This way WE AS SPORTFISHERMEN can wash our hands of this whole ethical debate, and let DFO deal with the real issues concerning the future of our VITAL FISHERIES. All the while not having to police a bunch of jackass half-wits who are NEVER going to figure it out no matter what penalties are put in place. You all know who you are and you're only in it for one reason anyway, and the scenery and sunshine is just a bonus.

Really think about it... Who's going to go out and bottom bounce for chinook and sockeye, if they can't keep it? Over tiime a CO's job would be much more manageable in terms of enforcement.

As for the economic argument... If you cannot see that the environment is more important than a quick cash grab... then you are no better than the organizations that you likely slander on a regular basis.

As for the whole "I need to be able to show a kid or a tourist how to bring home a meal for the barbie" argument. What do you think a "put and take" lake is for? The FFSBC has done a fabulous job filling thousands of lakes to help for this exact purpose. Now there's an organization that doesn't get enough credit. They're out there shoving it down kids throats, to ensure that sportfishing will still make a dent in our economy for the future.

I've stated it before.... It's about seeing the bigger picture... Too many people are living in the past, remembering the good ol' days... We need to forget about what we are entitled to, and start respeting the very essence of what we're all after in the first place. Without the fish we're all stuck back in the real world.

As for your question South Texas Salt.... I would venture a guess that if your state had hoards of pacific salmon and steelhead cruising inland you'd be dealing with many of these same issues, regardless of how badass your law enforcement is down there. Agree? People always rerfer to the stiff penalties down south, and how passive we are about EVERYTHING, but last time I checked, the United States is not filled with angels, saints, and choir boys. Maybe we just need to start cutting off limbs.

· Registered
119 Posts
The main problem I see up there, DFO asks you not to use certain methods, where down here they put regulations in place and you cannot use certain methods. For example: "Bottom Bouncing", Down here they would not ask you to stop with a threat to close the river. They would close the river to bottom bouncing or just close the river in general to protect the run. There is no grey area. If you get caught, you are considered a poacher and smacked with the full force of the law. We still have a lot of problem childs down here but nobody that stands in clear public view with complete disregard for a request. Our problem childs usually try to be discreet about what they are doing and hide it.

· Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I started this conversation and thanks to all of you for the informative discussion. Better understanding here on my part. Never wished to imply that South was better or any of that stuff, just wanted to understand. I think all but one above understood my request to learn more about B.C.. Thanks. Salt.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.