BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
K guys since I'm a fresh water kinda river guy I need to know who has the best selection of salt water tackle, as mentioned heading out to Port Renfrew to see about hookin me a Hali, a fish I've yet to catch. Or should I wait and buy my tackle on the Island

·
Registered
304 Posts
I got mine from

http://www.berrysbait.com/.

One piece Shimano Talora TLA 70 MC 12-27lb Power:Medium Action: Fast
(You can count on 10% discount on complete set)

and reel Penn 321 GTI from

http://www.westmarine.com/?sblid=h1

but I have to upgrade to Shimano TLD 25 or Penn 331 GTI.

Manager in West Marine Richmond is Giselle, very nice and polite girl. She’ll give you a discount if you nice to her.

This combo, or similar, you can use for sturgeon as well.

Good luck, :beerchug:

Barba

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Carlos...

I tend to generally purchase at Berry's especially if I am looking for some good advise on new lures etc. If I do know what I need I will go to Army&Navy (the one in the great "eastside" neighborhood :drunk:)or 3Vets which is between 6th and 7th on the street which is one block east of Cambie. For me it is primarily because it is close to home and I can't stand driving out to Richmond.....Van/Richmond traffic makes me :wallbash: I know most of these places are a bit of a drive for you from Mission but if you are out this way they are all pretty good. I generally buy my crab/prawn traps at Army/Navy as they tend to be a bit cheaper. Steveson Marine is not bad, but the one in my area doesn't have a overly significant fishing section.

Recently there has been a new store that opened up on West Broadway in Vancouver right near Mountain Equipment Co-Op but I have yet to check it out. I'll make a point to as I am usually around there a couple times a week.

If you are out this way and looking to drop your boat in by the planetarium, the stores previously mentioned are all pretty much on the way there from Mission. If you are going to drive THAT far then going a few blocks out of the way to check them out shouldn't be too bad. ;)

Generally I would say if you want good advice on gear and you are "newer" to the chuck.....Berry's would be a good trip to get started out.

·
Registered
708 Posts
the 321 GTi is a left hand and so far Penn does not offer a 331gt1 (maybe the will for the 2008 season). You may want to look for a 320gt2 if you are right hand or a 330gti if you want the more popular larger size

·
Registered
648 Posts
the store on broadway to which you refer is Pacific Angler, 604-872-2204.
great store, very knowledgeable staff, call them for directions, I believe they're just east of Columbia.

·
Registered
304 Posts
rln said:
the 321 GTi is a left hand and so far Penn does not offer a 331gt1 (maybe the will for the 2008 season). You may want to look for a 320gt2 if you are right hand or a 330gti if you want the more popular larger size

Thanks,
What about Shimano TLD 25 for left hand? :confused:

Cheers,
Barba

·
Registered
280 Posts
Berrys is a great store.
Nikka Industries is pretty darn impressive too.

If just a rod and reel you need then a lot of the smaller shops can certainly help you in that regard and save you the drive .
Riverside in Poco has a great selection of heavier Sturgeon/Halibut rods and reels.
I was also impressed with there salt water selection as some of the smaller stores seem to shy away from it.
Picked up a great combo there a couple of years ago and really like the Penn Slammer rod and Penn 330.
Havent tried Hali,s with it yet but its brought in some 7 ft. Sturgeon with room for a few more feet yet. :thumbup:

·
Registered
736 Posts
Barba said:
rln said:

Thanks,
What about Shimano TLD 25 for left hand? :confused:

Cheers,
Barba
The TDL is right handed only. The only lefthanded reel out there that I have found that would work for Hali/Sturgeon is the Penn 321. Or you could do what I did. Bullet proof the 7001. But I will probably have to upgrade to a 321 eventually. Or just hold off until someone makes a fricken bonafide lefthanded sturgeon reel. :wallbash: ;D

·
Registered
17 Posts
Get some big circle hooks, a couple of spreader bars and some 12-16 ounce lead. Try to use some salmon bellies for bait, they work well and stay on your hook the longest. If you use the circle hooks do not try to set the hook right away. Let the fish take some line as this will help to get the hook turning. Once he has taken some line and you feel he's not just playing with it set the hook and hold on. If you use halibut jigs (they work well) try tying a herring onto the side of the jig with some mono or elastic, this way the hali won't be able to slurp the herring off right away. 300 feet is a lot to reel up every few minutes to put another herring on. Good luck.

Bigsvend

·
Registered
708 Posts
[/quote]The TDL is right handed only. The only lefthanded reel out there that I have found that would work for Hali/Sturgeon is the Penn 321. Or you could do what I did. Bullet proof the 7001. But I will probably have to upgrade to a 321 eventually. Or just hold off until someone makes a fricken bonafide lefthanded sturgeon reel. :wallbash: ;D
[/quote]
Big Steel
if you go on the Penn website you will find that they make older models in left hand like 113's or 114's. these would work well for sturgeon, just not a modern day reel. If one of these work for you any tackle shop can special order it in just will take 5-8 weeks depending on timing.

·
Registered
33 Posts
The TDL is right handed only. The only lefthanded reel out there that I have found that would work for Hali/Sturgeon is the Penn 321. Or you could do what I did. Bullet proof the 7001. But I will probably have to upgrade to a 321 eventually. Or just hold off until someone makes a fricken bonafide lefthanded sturgeon reel. :wallbash: ;D

Big Steel
if you go on the Penn website you will find that they make older models in left hand like 113's or 114's. these would work well for sturgeon, just not a modern day reel. If one of these work for you any tackle shop can special order it in just will take 5-8 weeks depending on timing.
Look no Further!!!!

http://www.avetreels.com/avet_ex42.html

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.