BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking at the Echoz fly rods, one in particular would be the 4 piece 8wt...but, should I go with the 10ft or the 9ft? I am leaning towards the 10 right now but am wondering about everyone elses opinion.

· Banned
2,854 Posts
best way for you to choose is to ask if they will let you toss a line on each rod and try it out. you might find the 10wt a little heavy to cast all day for a one hander. mine is a 9' and works perfect ;D

· Registered
1,367 Posts
HOOK said:
best way for you to choose is to ask if they will let you toss a line on each rod and try it out. you might find the 10wt a little heavy to cast all day for a one hander. mine is a 9' and works perfect ;D
Not a 10 weight, an 8, 10ft or 9ft.

Trav, try casting them... best way to decide imo.

· Registered
1,702 Posts
got a 10ft, like it alot, u can add a little more torque into a fish, and also not have to pray when they take that intial run that the rod is gonna snap. I get really scared sometimes with 9fts. I got a Loop. And i can also cp with it in low clear conditions.

· Registered
504 Posts
Hey Steelie Trav

I would definitely go with the 10'. I have 2 8wts and both are 10 footers well ok one is 9'6" but it used to be 10' ( don't ask). But like others have said see if they will let you try casting both see what you like best. I have found that one of my 10' rods casts way better with a 9wt line than it does with an 8wt well the other is better with an 8wt. See what you like the best and go with that.

Centerpin 8)

· Registered
177 Posts
Trav, my guess is you like steelheading too, why not a two hander or switch rod. WAY more versatile, way easier to cast with our big westcoast sinktips, much less work. But simply they are just way more fun. You could get another single hander but they are soo much work on our local flows. A two-hander might cost a bit more in the begginning but you'll be glad you did :cheers:

· Registered
1,702 Posts
i wanna use my 10ft so much on a crome chum. man i'm jittering. If i were to use a 9ft i'd use a 9wt but cus its 10 u get alot more leverage, and i have about a 4 inch fighting but so i can kinda 2 hand it if i need to, role casts are super easy.

· Registered
1,660 Posts
Trav:

For most rivers locally I prefer a 10' because the extra length makes for nicer roll casts and also affords a little bit more line control.

· Registered
14 Posts
Jack Straw said:
Trav, my guess is you like steelheading too, why not a two hander or switch rod. WAY more versatile, way easier to cast with our big westcoast sinktips, much less work. But simply they are just way more fun. You could get another single hander but they are soo much work on our local flows. A two-hander might cost a bit more in the begginning but you'll be glad you did :cheers:
I agree with Jack,
Have a look at the CND Oceana, 11ft1" - in 9/10# is great for all the local rivers. A little big for pinks - but bloody brilliant on everything else.
Take it down to the beach for Coho - loaded with an Out bound line 100 foot cast are easy - and you can do them all day without getting worn out.

All the best
Mike

· Registered
31 Posts
Nice coho!
I've fished with a one hander for years and now I'm looking into a Spey.
I think if you're going to spend the money, it's worth it to spend a little more and get a good all around Spey rod, maybe a 13' 8 wt.
At least that's the rod I'm after, it will be very versatile. No worries about back cast room, and you use less energy fishing with it.
And you know, the way I look at it, a rod is a lifetime purchase, when I'm in my fifties, I'll rather be chuckin with two hand than one.
Cheers

· Registered
218 Posts
shoulda gone spey!! But then it tends to be a progression sometimes...I had allot of fun with my 9' 9wt but the 10' model sucked..Wait till you've spent a day casting, mending and re casting the single hands...Hard to get out to the decent water sometimes, limited area's to fish because of back cast room, fly out of the water too long... When or if you get frustrated let me know or any of the other spey guys on here and you can dry out the dark side...One warning though...I was told if I got into it, it can consume you, didn't believe it and now I got 5 spey rods!!! :confused:

· Registered
177 Posts
I'll have to agree Greyghost...shoulda gone spey :thumbup: just the thought of casting a 10' 8wt with a type 6 tip & big fly makes my arms hurt. But if your heart is set on that 10'er match it up with a ultra light reel like the Loop composite CLW. Good luck

· Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Jack Straw said:
I'll have to agree Greyghost...shoulda gone spey :thumbup: just the thought of casting a 10' 8wt with a type 6 tip & big fly makes my arms hurt. But if your heart is set on that 10'er match it up with a ultra light reel like the Loop composite CLW. Good luck
Well I did go for the Echo 10ft 8wt and I am pretty happy with it, I'll know more when I get to cast on the flow instead of grass! I actually did pair it with the Loop Evotech 5eight. HEading out tomorrow, can't wait :thumbup:

· Registered
177 Posts
Please let us know how that setup works out Steelie Trav. For the price it sure is a neat little rod. What line r u throwin? Do you speycast with that rod or overhead?

If you use it on rivers a line you have to try is that 40plus, this stuff casts like a dream, spey or overhead a real pleasure to use. Good luck!!

· Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The echo is a great rod! I would definitely suggest it to anyone on a budget.

I have been messing around with 2 handed casting and it works, I need some new line though....

See report on the rod in the gear section.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.