BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been dragging flies around behind my boat for years now, but it is time
to learn to Flyfish properly, any suggestions on where to get some lessons( should i just take a casting class or a more in depth course) and what about rods ,reels lines etc. I only really fish in small to med. size lakes in the interior, but will probably make use of the lakes closer to home (gas). Any thought or ideas are welcome.
Thanks
GMason

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Most of the flyshops locally offer lessons ranging from flycasting to flytying to actual techniques and strategies for fishing different waters and species. M&Y in Langley usually have different classes happening throughout the year.

You could always come to the fishout at Roche in June and meet some members, make some friends, and maybe new fishing buddies who can show you the ropes for free. :)

·
Registered
327 Posts
M & Y are in Surrey or Vancouver not Langley http://www.myflyshop.com/online.html
Check online for classes or better call them to see if they have a bunch of people waiting and depending on how many may just schedule some classes.
When I started many moons ago that's where I took my real first casting lessons from.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
mcallagan said:
M & Y are in Surrey or Vancouver not Langley http://www.myflyshop.com/online.html
Check online for classes or better call them to see if they have a bunch of people waiting and depending on how many may just schedule some classes.
When I started many moons ago that's where I took my real first casting lessons from.
Oops...typed in Langley instead of Surrey out of habit. I should know it's in Surrey, seeing as how I used to work there with Rick Baerg. ::) I've slowly been losing my mind ever since I turned thirty. :wallbash: :drunk:

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
stone said:
mcallagan said:
Oops...typed in Langley instead of Surrey out of habit. I should know it's in Surrey, seeing as how I used to work there with Rick Baerg. ::) I've slowly been losing my mind ever since I turned thirty. :wallbash: :drunk:
Late night feedings messing with ya??

·
Registered
334 Posts
Reaction Fly and Tackle in Abbotsford (Whatcom Rd and #1 by the Tims) offers flycasting lessons as well. A bit far to drive but if you keep heading east after you can practice your newfound wisdom and skill! The guys there are very helpful and are more than willing to dispense advice when asked.

stone said:
mcallagan said:
When did you work there Stone? I bought my first rod there 7 years ago and flys from time to time when I lived in Surrey.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I took a private lesson (with a girlfriend) with Dave at Micheal and young and he is really good - I would give him a call, hes alot cheaper than Rick passek and I am sure you will really like him! :thumbup:

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the info on lessons everyone, lots to choose from. I guess first i better some gear,
I saw in army&navy flyer a package for $90 it was by Admundson i think, or my local fly/tackle shop
here in Coquitlam has a package for $150. I was thinking maybe get some gear , take a casting lesson
or 2 and practise at local lakes then next year take more in depth course about flyfishing. can i get
good enough gear for $100-$150 for my first few seasons?
Thanks Again

·
Registered
901 Posts
I recomend you buy the best you can afford
Saying that i have a cheap 5 weight that i use and it works well for the small lakes 8)
i need to invest in a better one (just need to convince the wife i need yet another rod and reel) :confused:

If you live in Coquitlam try Sea Run the guys there a great and they always have schools on fly fishing and fly tying
I took a fly tying class there it was well worth the money

Once you get your gear and lesson you can always try it out at Bunzen or Lafarge (close by & less gas)
Maybe see you out there sometime as i live in Coquitlam too

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Prof: Yup! :p

Mrmugs: Trying to remember when that was, and I think it was somewhere between 2002-03. If Rick remembers I'm sure he'll correct me if I'm wrong. Wasn't very long anyway.

GMason: You can skimp on the reel, as it mostly just holds line for trout fishing anyway. You should really spend the most money on the line and then the rod. If you get a really nice line matched properly to the rod, even a $69 Dragonfly Expedition is going to feel very nice with it. What you're looking for is a rod with a good progressive action, not overly stiff, but has lots of backbone on the bottom of the rod. $150 will be a little tight for a decent package...but it's doable. What's in the $150 package that you mentioned? Maybe let us know what the brands of the components are and we'll let you know if it's decent.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Dragonfly Kamloops fly combo

Dragonfly fly rod and reel combo
This combo comes with
* Dragonfly DFW95 9 foot #5 weight, graphite fly rod
(an excellent casting rod for the $$)
* Cordura covered fly rod case
* Dragonfly Kamloops DK56- 5/6 weight cassette fly reel. The reel comes with a FREE spare cassette, so you can fill the spare cassette with a second fly line. The DK56 has a very strong disc drag for reeling in large trout. An excellent value rod and reel combo!

Price:$169.99 CAD

Dragonfly Trout Stalker Combo

Dragonfly Trout Stalker fly rod and reel combo. Comes with-
* Dragonfly Trout Stalker TS906-2 9 foot #6 weight graphite fly rod.
* Angler 5/6 graphite fly reel.
A great inexpensive rod and reel to get you fishing!

Price:$99.99 CAD

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
Check out the Amundson package:
rod, reel, line backing, rod tube, tackle bag (maybe one or two other goodies) Riverside had them at $199, not sure if they are still available, but worth a call.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Yes the Amundson package is a great deal and the cheapest place to go to get one is Army and Navy. They where selling them for under $140. It is a complete package. Great deal. Rod, reel, two lines(floating and sinking), chest pack, leaders, flies and fly box as well as a rod case.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
flyguy said:
Yes the Amundson package is a great deal and the cheapest place to go to get one is Army and Navy. They where selling them for under $140. It is a complete package. Great deal. Rod, reel, two lines(floating and sinking), chest pack, leaders, flies and fly box as well as a rod case.
That's an excellent price! Wish we had an A&N over here.

gmason: I received an inexpensive fly rod & reel from Wal-Mart for Christmas and I'm still using it and it works fine. I've tried other rods (Sage and Orvis to name a couple) and they are light years ahead of mine. With fly fishing, you definitely get what you pay for (99% of the time anyway). There is a topic on this board regarding the Amundson rods so do a search and check it out.

Taking casting lessons is something I highly recommend. I didn't have the option of taking lessons so I taught myself, but taking a lesson or two would surely improve my cast, as it will yours.

The best advice I can give you is to enjoy what you're doing. If you're not enjoying the art of casting (and it is an art) then something is wrong and you need to fix it. This sport has roped me in to the point where I've given all my spinning gear away and I'm strictly fly only now.

Good luck.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks again all, some great insight on the equipment, i saw the post about the Admunson gear, sounds like what i am looking for.

Britguy, is the Dragonfly Kamloops combo the one at Sea-Run ?
Probably get more help at Sea-Run as far as set up i would guess, plus I see
they have casting lessons also.

Good luck to all going to Roche this weekend, i am going to Postill lake outside
Kelowna next weekend, hope i can get to a fishout next time and show what I learn
this spring/summer.

Cheers
Gmason

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
The guys at Searun are usually very helpful, and the colourful cast of characters makes it a neat place to hang out also. :D "Little" Brian is a phenomenal caster...he would be a true expert to take lessons from. Good luck.

·
Registered
901 Posts
The guys at Searun are usually very helpful, and the colourful cast of characters makes it a neat place to hang out also. "Little" Brian is a phenomenal caster...he would be a true expert to take lessons from
Yeh Brian tought the fly tying class i went to
He sure knows his stuff and is easy to talk to

I buy most my gear there (I live just down the road)

gmason

The Kamloops combo was at Berry's Bait and Takle

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.