BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I was wondering what, if any small mods that can be done to my outboard to boost the Hp up a bit.

·
Administrator
3,732 Posts
It's all about compression and octane at this point Trav. Check the compression, you're probably around
120lbs.which is boarderline not firing. Start by conditioning the cylinders with a top quality cynthetic two
stroke oil like Lucas for example ,adding more than the standard 50:1 ,more like 30:1. Then add in a compression restorer,duralube's good, no solides. After running down a tank full re-check the compression.
You should see a difference of at least 10 lbs. , which will make starting a whole lot easier and if you
are still not happy with the resaults you could always use an octane booster.... :thumbup: but you'll
be better off by trying to keep the compression at a descent level then blowing it out......
Hope this helps, I actually just did mine and seems to run a whole lot better...
.......... :beerchug:........Marko

·
Registered
694 Posts
What size and type of outboard?

Seeing your post in the boat pics, Instead of trying to get more power you might want to look into prop. selection. See what RPM you're running at wide open, and decide if your redlining to soon, or not getting full rpm's. if either is the case then sometimes it can make a huge difference to the boat performance. You can get old props re-pitched also.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I have the opposite problem too much power!! 200 horse on a 18' alumi :happy: :thumbup: Giddy-up!!!

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
NOW, THAT"S A BARN FULL OF HORSES!!!...............Hang On! ...................Ortho 8)

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The motor is a 1991 Yamaha 55Hp. It runs well, tops out at 35mph @ 5200 rpm with just me in the boat. I am running a 13, 3 blade prop on it right now.

·
Registered
694 Posts
So what else do you want it to do? more speed or is it lacking when you get some folks in it?

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A little of both. I think I am going to be saving my pennies for a 70+ hp. As far as I have researched there is nothing I can really do to get more out of the motor. Unless I was to bore out the cylinders.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Saving for a new motor is the best thing you could do. From what you posted I'd say that's about all that set-up can do. You could get it to do a little better of one or the other with different props, but that's about all.

If you do get a new one, go onto Mercs site and play with the prop selector it's a bit generous with it's numbers but will give you an idea of what's available :beerchug:

https://appcenter.mercurymarine.com/propSelector/home.do;jsessionid=e484c0beef884aedb2db86d8e6adf89e.n6XIsAyIpkjMmQPvqAzIngTxpQOUaN0Ka3D3lN4RawSMaMSK-x8L-x8Kn6bycgTAn38Lb65Abx4M-wOSa30K8Nzta5WN-AfJpBDD-APzqAbHml9DpAiImQXH8N4Pb3uRb2bCpQPz8QvJpkixn6jAmljGr5XDqQLvpAe_

·
Registered
100 Posts
I am running a 14-foot lifetimer, with a forty power head, and that gives me thirty at the pump. The boat has v hull with no tunnel. Running a jet with out a tunnel. I did a lot of reading about jets before I did it, it works very well. Just something to think about. :beerchug:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts