BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I woke up yesterday morning and had coffee with my better half before she had to go to work. When she left I was thinking what I was going to do the rest of the day, its my day off. Fishing was crossing my mind but I was very hesitant, thinking the rivers might be still to high to fish...Looking at my 2 cats running around the house I said to myself I'm going...I pack up my gear and off I go with a full cup of coffee and a bottle of water...

As I am driving I look into every creek that I pass bye to check the height of it "I think we all do this". I finally get to my destination and look at the river. My initial hunch is right the water is big but it is in shape. The water is starting to get a green tinge to it about 3 feet visibility. :eek: With as much excitement as a child at Christmas time I put my waders on and thinking this could be the day...

I start fishing in between two large cedar trees where the water creates a seam with slower water on the inside. A few casts later my float goes down and i set the hook. Rod buckles over and turns out to be a wild coho in its crimson red colours. As I keep fishing I land a few more coho. Then I land a fat Bull trout about 4lbs followed up by a rainbow than cutthroat both in the pound range.

I move around a little but it is hard to find fish-able water due to its height. I find a spot very much like the first spot but a longer drift. I cast my float out and watch it drift down and disappear. I set the hook and miss it. I cast out again float moves three feet and torpedo's under set the hook fish on. Rod buckled over the fish jumps out of the water to show itself :eek: only to have the hook come unbuttoned at that precise time. I ask myself did that just happen. Yes it did. My first encounter with winter chrome this year...

As my heart is still racing I untangle my line out of the bush beside me while thinking what are the chances of another one being there. My float has not made it to the end of this drift yet. I finally make my next cast"which felt like an eternity". My float starts to drift down, nothing, nothing, nothing, its getting close to the end now, nothing, than whoosh floats gone :eek: . I pull up on it, FISH ON. Can it be I think. Yes it is as the Ironhead leaps out of the water :happy: I try my best to battle this greyghost in front of me. This fish does not want to cooperate that easily. I hold my ground as I have no choice in the matter. I finally land this beautiful wild doe. Leaving her in the water at all times. I unhook her and take one quick picture and send her on her way to carry on the Steelhead legacy that we all love...

The picture is now on my avatar. It may not be the greatest picture but it is one of Winters glory. The winds of winter are spreading the whispers from the cedars in which they are saying. The Steelhead are starting to come home. :thumbup:

:cheers: sage

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Thanks for the beautiful read, sage2186lb! I could almost picture myself standing right on the river next to you! Just what I needed to get me through another busy 12 hour shift and look forward to some time off next week. Congratulations on this winter's first gift. :cheers:

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
Very nice sage, very nice. Inspiration to go search for steel isn't tough to come by, but you've certainly made it that much more exciting that I'm going for my first trip tomorrow... ;)

Thanks for a great read...

:thumbup:

·
Registered
695 Posts
great report and congrats on the the steel Sage ;D...as from reading it i'm counting my days til i'm off for the holidays before i get a chance to hopefully be able to hookup with one myself.

scruffy :cheers:

·
Premium Member
3,732 Posts
Sage2106lb...You should seriously submitt that one for the callender.....That is one of the best
abstracts I'd seen....Great pic and story.... :thumbup:

:beerchug: Marko

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.